Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
124 registered (Anne'sson, AndyP, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 33 invisible), 1568 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#985620 - 06/03/06 03:23 AM A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Well here it is, and I very nearly nailed it to .
Just missed one obvious bass note and got a measure towards the end a little jumbled (the nerves kicked in about 4 min in when i could see the finish line), but i think i recovered fairly well. The files less than 9mb, and goes for 5 min 20. Or check it out at youtube!

Hope this comes in handy for anybody learning the piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRTXg_7p3Hk

http://www.savefile.com/files/2288401

thanks for the audio recording tip Bob!

BTW I downloaded the sheet music from musicnotes.com, i played it (memorised) note for note from that, bar the very last 20 odd seconds where the music states "repeat, ad-lib and fade" which i can't help but think defeats the purpose of sheet music somewhat!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#985621 - 06/03/06 09:10 AM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Applause!!! Great job Stephen! The audio was perfect and your playing was superb!

#985622 - 06/03/06 01:55 PM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
s54mo827 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Muir:
Applause!!! Great job Stephen! The audio was perfect and your playing was superb!
Yeah! I'll echo that applause. Beautiful sounds, Stephen. Your long, fluid piano hands were hypnotic.

Even, my own piano hands have a hypnotic/ relaxing affect on me. We may all experience this in our playing, when we're in the moment! You had this song down nice. \:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv7-qjprix4

#985623 - 06/03/06 06:44 PM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks guys!...its funny to watch yourself play, thats the first time ive video recorded myself and you're right Sharon, i never realised how big my hands looked on the keyboard (they just seem regular size to me!).

Loading up on youtube was amazingly easy to, I wonder if the idea of a video recital has ever bee floated?
Its a really good learning experience as not only do you try and get it sounding okay, but you make an extra effort to get your hands right also, i imagine it feels very much like playing for an audience with that little camera watching every move.

stephen

#985624 - 06/03/06 07:12 PM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
I've thought about videotaping my playing and sending it to my folks. Perhaps when I'm as good as you.

#985625 - 06/03/06 09:21 PM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
rocky Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, KY
Thanks for sharing Stephen, nicely played. I always like watching someone's hand as they play!

#985626 - 06/03/06 10:20 PM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
Kawaigirl1 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
That was so cool that you showed your hands playing that piece. It was played beautifully and I enjoyed it very much. Txs for sharing. \:\)

flickr

#985627 - 06/04/06 08:27 PM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
Elssa Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Lovely piece...I could listen to you play all day \:\) Just wondering, how long did it take you to learn that? Seems very challenging..

#985628 - 06/04/06 08:38 PM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Elssa \:D

I would love to play for you all day, if you'd listen to the same 5 or 6 songs over and over!

I could sit down and play the whole piece in just under 3 weeks, learning even just a few measures a day (some are quite tricky), but to play it with the camera looking (i get the shakes very easily) i've been playing it for 7 or 8 weeks.

Perhaps you should attempt the measures i posted in the "Master those Measures Thread". For me, mastering these measures was the key to playing the song the chord patterns are quite similar throughout. It took me several days to get these smooth.

If you decide to learn the piece feel free to ask any questions!

#985629 - 06/04/06 11:55 PM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Stephen:

Instead of the usual moronic-wacky reply to you, I have to be serious for yet another moment and say that I am pretty impressed with not only your playing but your overall demeanor!

I just noticed your "other" thread on the board pertaining to "mastering the measure" and I can already tell that you think "mucically", at least, exactly like I do.

I firmly believe that many people practice the same mistakes over and over again. I look at a song in a more synergistic fashion; that being an end result, or compilation of a bunch of really good measures (broken down even further into individual bars)

Whenever I try to improvise a song, I actually play each seperate bar numerous times over in different ways to try and obtain the best possible sound (and compatible) to the rest of the bars/measures.

I also don't spend much time "practising" the bars/parts/measures that I can already play good; because, well, I can already play then good!!

I DO spend the time I have practising what I can't play well and then when I can, I just toss it back in with the easier parts!! (Tell me this is NOT kindergarten logic BTW!!)

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think your playing is great and your musical "thinking" as well as your positive outlook is fantastic.

I actually very surprised that I am even saying this to a relatively new member, but you've somehow earned it in my book extremely quickly.

Now, short of going for MY record of posting the same song seven times!! (which I may even be forther extending soon!), I'd love to hear some other songs from you and really "mix it up"!

Jazz, classical, improv, blues, etc. I'd just like to get your take on those as well.

Best Regards
S-H.

#985630 - 06/05/06 06:17 AM Re: A COMPLETE Lake Erie Rainfall Video
stephenc Offline
500 Post Club Member

Mr Super Hunky

That was a very thoughtful post and greatly appreciated, so thank you.

I agree totally with your description of learning a piece measure by measure. In that song, each new measure was a new challenge for me and i only moved on once I had it playable as it should be played.

You also make a good point about the music I have been playing. I am definetely caught up in Brickmania, I'm waiting for some other music to really grab me like his does.

That said, Cristoforis Dream has me tied in knots at the moment, and I am currently composing (very much as a beginner) whats sounds (of all things) like a piece from colonial American times!!. Hopefully I can get this up to performance readiness to show guys!

BTW, Post your seventh take of that piece you mentioned, I for one will listen contently.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
8 minutes 55 seconds ago
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
36 minutes 5 seconds ago
10k budget for a piano in SW Ontario
by bogdan101
38 minutes 3 seconds ago
Roland PHA3 action, graded?
by stamkorg
Today at 02:54 PM
Hello all
by Jytte
Today at 02:10 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159402 Topics
2341550 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission