Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#985880 - 12/30/04 08:12 PM Sick of method pieces
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
Ok, I just need to vent. I'm almost finished with Alfred's Adult Book 1. I am working on 'He's Got The Whole World In His Hands". After that is "The Entertainer" (which I am actually looking forward to), then "Amazing Grace", to finish the book.

I've been through 64 method pieces from "Aura Lee" to "Liza Jane" to "Raisins and Almonds".

This afternoon, I put the book aside, and took out some sheet music for Scarlatti's Sonata K32 in D minor, and Pachebel's Canon in D. I spent 2 hours practicing various passages, both LH and RH, and I LOVED IT!! I was making progress and listening to myself actually sound somewhat like a pianist. It was great!!

I can't wait to finish the Alfred's book, but after that comes books 2 and 3. I hope they have more classical pieces and less sappy stuff. I can't take another year of "Blow The Man Down" and "Michael, Row Your Boat".

[EDIT] I know, I know...it's all those method pieces that have allowed me to develop the required technique to be able to play those other 2 pieces. I understand that. I fully intend to finish all 3 Alfred's books, since I'm self-taught (for now). I guess I'm just impatient to spread my wings a little bit. \:\)

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#985881 - 12/30/04 08:17 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Ben D. Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
I did the Alfred's Books for a while when I started piano. Not much classical stuff in the kids' books, but I dunno about the adult books. It wasn't until I switched to a more experienced teacher that he gave me some real music and I began to really grow musically.

#985882 - 12/30/04 08:23 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Luckychwee Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi Jerry at least you are patient to learn all the songs on alfred book 1. I began learning bits of classical music a month ago where I am still at the oh saints marching in ...
And a prayer a day never keep our Jesus away
And let's praise our Lord, our King, our God all the way ....

#985883 - 12/30/04 08:29 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
SusieQ Offline

Loc: Bellevue, Washington
Alfred has a series out called first favorite classics that will get you to the cool stuff faster...My teacher uses them in addition to the FABER & FABER books

#985884 - 12/30/04 08:55 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Luckychwee Offline

Hi Jerry I just got this book and sad to say .... its not easy as I assume !

I am now trying to work on minuet in A minor on page 141 as it's the most easiest of all.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0486404072/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-0795990-8009503#reader-link

#985885 - 12/30/04 08:59 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Tillamook, Oregon
Thanks for the link, Lucky.

I was actually thinking about getting this book . Seems more my speed! \:\)

#985886 - 12/30/04 09:36 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
I would not recommend that book Jerry, because they've rearranged the pieces to be easier. They're not much better than your method book. :-/ I just don't see the point when there are so many original pieces that are easy enough for us to learn.

I've dropped the Alfreds for now. I finished book 1 except for the last two pieces in it and started book 2, but when I dug into Fur Elise, the Alfreds went by the wayside.

#985887 - 12/30/04 09:56 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Sushi Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
I finished Alfred's Adult book1 five months ago. My teacher supplemented classical piece by James Bastien along with the Alfred's book 2 that I'm currently using.

You will enjoy this book Classic Themes by the Masters , more for early intermediate. It has all the classical hits Beethoven's 5th, Fur Elise, Symphony #5, Air for the G String.

#985888 - 12/31/04 07:33 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, USA
it's a good idea to start learning some easy original classical pieces. you would learn technique along with your repertoire.

#985889 - 12/31/04 07:47 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
gwood Offline

Loc: plano,tx
ha ha. Jerry, i hear ya. i did the alfred book 1; book 2 is not much better but does provide a nice progressive level of difficulty.

you may also want to look at the thompson books (level 2 and level 3 especially). and as others posted above, there are several books with compilation of classical pieces that are not "dumbed down". most come with CDs as well which is helpful.

sounds like you are doing well with some of the supplmental sheet music. boredom can definitely slow progress. just buy buy buy. i have more music than i could ever possibly learn to play in a lifetime but i still visit the music store at least a couple times a month and buy something else. i have such big plans \:\)

good luck to you,
gw.

#985890 - 12/31/04 07:53 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
divadeb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Jerry,

Don't buy the books with the simplified arrangements of classical 'themes'. Learn real pieces, simple because they are simpler pieces, not because somebody reinvented them by leaving out most of the notes. There are a lot of pieces/collections that you can play from at your current level. Since you're teaching yourself, I would encourage you to follow your method book for your theory and technique and pick pieces that are complementary to what you're studying to flesh out the dumb songs in the method book. If you hate the dumb song, don't bother with it...you're the teacher, assign yourself something else.

If it would help, you could post when you come up against a particularly heinous "method piece"...and one of us could suggest a more interesting alternative. Many of the greatest of our classical composers were also teachers who wrote pieces on many levels for their students to play. You've come far enough to reward yourself with good music. Alfred piano method books never taught anyone to play the piano. You're teaching you. Teachers teach. Don't be afraid to break away from the book, you can only broaden your horizons by branching out.

I agree with Bob, don't settle for simplified arrangements of classical "themes". There is plenty of *real* classical music you can play at your current level and from here on out.

www.divadeb.com

#985891 - 12/31/04 08:47 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Luke:
Thanks for the link, Lucky.

I was actually thinking about getting this book . Seems more my speed! \:\) [/b]
Jerry, do not buy this book, too fake, and most pieces there are not only just easy arrangement of the original ones but also not even in the original key signature. it's a bad choice. divadeb is right, and you need to find some original pieces which are easy enough for you. if you can play Scarlatti's K32, then you'd find a lot of similar level original pieces like that.

#985892 - 12/31/04 09:16 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
Jerry, Alfred has a series of books called "Masterworks Classics" that are geared for each level of accomplishment. They are, for the most part, the original score (with a few simpler arrangements of more advanced pieces). I think this might make you happy.

Also, Bach's Anna Magdalena Notebook would be fun.

#985893 - 12/31/04 09:30 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
Stevester Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
You may be ready for the "Celebration Series" from Frederick Harris. It is a graded series that is the real deal. I am placing the link below. I would suggest you get the CD that goes with each set of books as it helps to be able to listen to the piece.

http://www.frederickharrismusic.com/fhmcUS/Frederick.jsp

Have fun,
Steve

anon

#985894 - 12/31/04 12:46 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
kiwinat Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Hi everyone

This is my first post on this forum. Actually on any forum ever.

I've been learning for about six months - started with the Alfred Book one but got sick of it much faster than Jerry Luke.

My daughter is doing Suzuki piano and I've been learning her pieces. I'm on Book Two and the pieces are solidly classical - eg Schumann the happy farmer, Bach minuets etc. Each piece seems to introduce something new.They don't seem to be dumbed down although some seem to be heavily edited. I'm really enjoying them although I'm not sure I could learn some of them without a teacher.

Natalie

#985895 - 12/31/04 01:49 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Frank R Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Anaheim Hills, CA
I am just about finished with book 2 of Alfred's. This music isn't what I really want to be playing. However, it's all basic stuff that I need to learn. I'll be starting my 3rd year in January and Alfred's book three is what I'll be working from. After that everything will be original classical music. I am being very patient and not trying to play a lot of music that is too hard for me. The progression of the Alfred books is making a lot of sense to me and I am happy with my progress. I can sure understand how anyone could go crazy with some of it though, especially adults, we tend to see what we want to be playing and all the possibilities. The problem at least for me is if I try the harder stuff that I'm not ready for I tend to neglect the stuff that I should be learning and my progress slows. I just keep telling myself :rolleyes: ENJOY THE PROCESS. Hopefully this plan will pay off.

I think the thing that really is keeping me going is the fake book work and voicing that we are doing. It is so different from the method books that it's almost like playing a different instrument, if that makes any sense. Not easy stuff at all but the learning curve on it is great because I can see that within a couple of years I will be able to sight read hundreds of songs. VERY COOL !!!!

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!

#985896 - 12/31/04 03:39 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
gwood Offline

Loc: plano,tx
another one you may enjoy:

Essential Keyboard Repertoire (volume 1) with CD

contains about 100 pieces from baroque to modern in their ORIGINAL form. the vol 1 should not be a problem once you finish the alfred book 1. nice pieces and not watered down.

gw

#985897 - 12/31/04 03:49 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
AdagioM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Jerry,

I love the Suzuki Piano Method repertoire, through book 5 (where I stopped). After the first book (folk songs), great classical, well chosen, not watered down at all.

And I've just started working through Essential Keyboard Repertoire I for reading fun. I've decided that this year, I am going to get serious about reading. I lose so much harder repertoire by not keeping it up, but I think if I improve my reading and theory, that will go a long way to fill in gaps. I hate when I've been too busy to keep up repertoire and end up having only three things I can play!

Best of luck to you. Go for the real stuff; you won't regret it.

Michele

http://pdxknitterati.com

#985898 - 12/31/04 04:06 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
Jerry another good book compiled and edited by Helen Marlais, FJH Music Company is "Succeeding with the Masters" works by Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, complete and unabridged. There is a CD and some very excellent instructions on dynamics and technique included, highly recommended. The works are early Intermediate/Intermediate level.

Another good one is "The Joy of First Classics" compiled and edited by Denes Agay, Yorktown Music Press. Early Intermediate original pieces, some quite nice. My only objection, being an adult, is the illustration on the front cover of a pre-pubescent boy and girl, one playing and the girl gazing. The illustration is decidely '50's. No problem, I just keep it covered when adults are around.

#985899 - 12/31/04 07:13 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Luckychwee Offline

Hi Jerry, I am sorry if I may have misleaded you into buying this book but it's definitely never my intention to do so because I was ignorant until Bob, Signa and the rest talked about the originality.

But what I am confused is that some of you claims that the pieces are simplified and easy but it seems so difficult as I see now even when they ranked it as "Early Beginners" I showed this book to my teacher and he told me that it's more for people playing piano for 2-3 years ???!!! So ??? Please enlighten me more ......

#985900 - 12/31/04 07:29 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I think you're getting confused Luckychwee. You're talking about "Easy Piano Classics" which someone said had the original arrangments, while Jerry mentioned "My First Book of Classical Music" which is definitley simplified.

Does your book include the entire Fur Elise, or just the first section?

#985901 - 12/31/04 07:31 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Jerry and Lucky- I don't know if it was you who asked about this the other day but there's a book by Hal-Leonard called The World's Great Classical Music - Great Easier Piano Literature. It is all original - not arranged. LOTS of really easy stuff in it. ISBN is 0-7935-8257-1. If you can read at all there is stuff in here you can sightread - guaranty it.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#985902 - 12/31/04 07:51 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Luckychwee Offline

Haha Bob yeah after I posted I realised that I may have make an mistake as I had skipped the reply by Jerry the Tom \:D Last few days have been quite glued to the news of the tsunami and didnt logged into this forum for couple of days. Really feel sad that this has killed hundred of thousands but what happen will happen \:\( T R I B U L A T I O N

#985903 - 12/31/04 07:57 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
Luckychwee Offline

Hi Teachbum, thanks for the link but it's not me whom asked \:\) .

There is an customer review by this Jennifer and she said that this is for early intermediate. Is it ideal for someone who learn piano within the first year ?

I've just bought the earlier one and I do not want to buy another one which have to lie on the shelf until 2 years later \:D

#985904 - 12/31/04 10:05 PM Re: Sick of method pieces
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member

luckychwee, yours 'Easy Piano Classics' could last quite long time for you. because all pieces there are original, not all of them are really easy. so, choose only those you feel easy enough for you now, don't worry about others until later you're ready for them. when i started playing, i only learned 1st part of Fur Elise (bar 1-12?) and never completed learning the whole piece until this year. it is the very first piece i tried, although only the first few bars...

happy new year!

#985905 - 01/01/05 01:30 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
ShiroKuro Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
To Jerry, and others working through a method, I humbly offer comments based from my own expereince, which is that choosing songs because you want to play them, and working on music that you love is an incredibly motivating thing.

If you are working through songs that you don't want to play simply because they are in the method (and of course they offer some musical point/technique that you want to learn), there is no reason to stick strictly to the method book, esp when it has you playing songs that don't thrill you.

How about trying to go back and forth between method book and some piece that you choose for yourself? Is the Alfred book divided into sections within each book? How about playing a piece of your own choosing after completing each section? This could be like a little reward you give yourself. It will also give you the experience of choosing songs by yourself, which is not necessarily straight-forward. You may choose a song, start working on it and find it's too difficult. Or you may spend a lot of time working up a piece and then decide that you don't really like it after all.

If you know that at the end of a section of the method book, you get to choose your own song, that will be much more motivating than thinking you won't start doing that until you finsh *all-three* method books. Just my opinion, either way it sounds like you're making great progress, keep it up!

#985906 - 01/01/05 07:18 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
If you know that at the end of a section of the method book, you get to choose your own song, that will be much more motivating than thinking you won't start doing that until you finsh *all-three* method books. Just my opinion, either way it sounds like you're making great progress, keep it up! [/b]

I agree with the above statement 100%! As an adult student, why waste time on method books when there is a world of music to learn and play in its original form. Technique can be learned in these pieces and I would venture to guess that you will learn faster than plowing through method pieces you really don't care for.

#985907 - 01/01/05 09:04 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
mikhailoh Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cincinnati
I'm in the 5th Alfred book, and plan to complete the 6th.. and I understand what everyone means about not wanting to play the pieces.

However.. they do teach you something. Funny how each time I finish a book I realize how much better I am for having slogged through them.

Perhaps one answer here is that you don't have to polish these pieces to perfection. Just practice them enough to absorb the learning. Once you reach the third and fourth Alfred books there are some very cool pieces.

You might also get some of the Alfred Classic and Recital books for your level. They have some nice stuff. There are easier arrangements of classical music that can be very satisfying to learn and play. This may be heresy to some, but if you are going to be playing contemporary music, well that is ALL arrangements. If you enjoy playing the piece, where is the harm? The worst that can happen is you are familiar with the piece when you come to learn the real thing.

At a year to 3 years or so I found it exceptionally easy to look at a piece, think I could play it well then get discouraged because it was just beyond my level. That wastes money on books (voice of experience) and, even more precious, time. The truth is the more you play the better you will get. But I think there is little point in endeavoring to play pieces that are considerably beyond your level, and that can be very hard to determine.

At 3 and a half years there is a lot of music I can play, original and arranged. My advice would be to be patient and follow the method you have chosen. There is method in the madness.

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'

#985908 - 01/01/05 09:44 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

"This may be heresy to some"

It's not heresy to me. I think simplified music has its place. If you have your heart set on playing Rach-3 but you know you'll never acquire the technique to play it properly, then go ahead a learn a simplified version.

On the other hand, it you believe that eventually you'll have the technique to play the piece you want to play, then why waste time on a simplified version when you could play original pieces that can help acquire that technique and provide beautiful music to play at the same time.

I think if you're going to learn without a teacher, then method books are the best way to learn the various techniques and annotations. You're basically exchanging money for time though. By spending money on a good teacher, you save a LOT of time.

#985909 - 01/01/05 10:05 AM Re: Sick of method pieces
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Lucky/Jerry - Whichever of you is needing the stuff. The book I mentioned has some really simple stuff in it. And as for books lying around for a couple of books - hey I've got books that I may not get to for five years (if I'm lucky!) In my opinion you need lots of music and as Bob, Diva and several others have mentioned, I think also think it's important to play original, music at whatever level you are. My first teacher was a Julliard Grad with a PHD in musicology and she did not believe in using method books. Especially for adults. I'm not saying there aren't some good ones, but there is so much beautiful, simple music that you can learn from. The scales, arpeggios, harmonies are all out there in REAL music. Just my thoughts. Boredom and dissatisfaction are anethma to an adult student.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Were these old Richmond Studio uprights any good?
by Paul678
09/20/14 09:18 PM
Ivories: To save or not to save
by chernobieff
09/20/14 08:26 PM
Are injuries the result of bad technique or over practicing?
by rov
09/20/14 05:44 PM
Learning M/m Key Areas in minutes: know the patterns!
by A443
09/20/14 05:32 PM
RECORDING ON ELECTRONIC KEYBOARDS vs. REAL PIANOS
by woolmusic
09/20/14 04:49 PM
Who's Online
110 registered (aesop, 36251, accordeur, 37 invisible), 1106 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157652 Topics
2315668 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission