Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#986415 - 01/10/09 10:11 AM rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

I've been with my "new" teacher for a year and she puts a good deal of emphasis on rhythm which for some reason I can hear but can't seem to get into my fingers. There is an art to counting correctly, I guess.

She breaks things down into fractions (math is not my thing) 1/8 = 1/4 = 1/2 etc. - I've studied dance for many years and dance teachers have always said how musical - I happened to speak to a muscian in my building who said think about it you have two feet and ten fingers. Sometimes I wish I could use my feet.

It seems I'm just a little bit off the beat - it's enough to make me want to just throw in the rag - (never do that).

My former teacher came at it from a different angle and it seemed to work. Everyone has different ways.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#986416 - 01/10/09 10:23 AM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
TSPhillips Offline

Loc: Atlanta
My piano teacher told me to think of every rhythm in 16th notes. So instead of counting 1, 2, 3, 4, slow it down a bit and count 1 e and a 2 e and a...etc. It helped me a lot helped me out a lot.

#986417 - 01/10/09 11:26 AM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
You must tap your foot - unless you have a free hand to conduct (though I have actually conducted with my foot before).

#986418 - 01/10/09 12:57 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
Triryche Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Take you time time and start slowly. Sometimes you will mY to play painstakingly slowly. But make sure you are tapping your foot or playing with a metronome. Eventually it will click, and then you you'll have to wait to get stumped by another rhythm!! \:D

#986419 - 01/10/09 03:12 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
May be the math is tripping you up?? Obviously you've got rhythm based on your dancing. May be there is some more somatic way of "counting" that suits you better - like tapping your foot, or subtly nodding your head, or subtly moving your body?

#986420 - 01/10/09 03:52 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
I find that learning rhythms is always two stage process for me -- there's the phase where I read the rhythm off the page, learn to count it out, etc. And then suddenly it clicks, and it becomes something I can kind of groove out on, reproduce and enjoy even without counting -- get it into my bones and sinews, or something. When I really get it, it becomes actual fun to play along with the metronome.

I aspire to be able to sight read rhythms someday, do it all in one step, but I'm not there yet!

neglected piano blog

#986421 - 01/10/09 04:23 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosanna:
May be the math is tripping you up?? Obviously you've got rhythm based on your dancing. May be there is some more somatic way of "counting" that suits you better - like tapping your foot, or subtly nodding your head, or subtly moving your body? [/b]
You hit the nail on the head - math makes my head spin.

She has me clap the rhythm sometimes -- first my teacher claps the rhythym (my foot is on automatic) and then its my turn - at times we do it together - it seems to click and then it goes away. I think it might be because I hear the beat If she plays the notes, but I'm mirroring what she does and what I hear. If this makes sense. Someone told me dancers dance to a different beat.

Somehow it will click - my teacher says it's better when I play hands together.

Thanks Rosanna and fellow travelers for all your support and suggestions. ;\)

#986422 - 01/10/09 05:04 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

musdan,

I guess having been in dancing myself, I have a sense of somatic rhythm. And being decent in math (yep I am! ) it feels to me that *counting* rhythm is quite different than *sensing* rhythm.

E.g. when I play from score, I would say that translating the notes into rhythm has more of an analytical sense in my head (somehow) - it feels more left-brained if you will.

Now that I am learning to play by ear, I notice that when I listen to a song (with other than "straight" beats, i.e. 1-2-3-4), and I try to translate from the SENSE of rhythm that I *feel* back into *countable* notes, it actually require more brain juice than I expected. Since I am decent at math and all, I realize it's not the analysis/counting itself that makes this translation tricky. Somehow sensing the rhythm engages a different part of the brain (so it seems) than the counting part of the brain.

Hmm, not that this babbling helps you, but it was an interesting experience for me.

#986423 - 01/10/09 06:17 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Rosanna, I wonder if when we dance we sense the rhythm?

Learning to play music is a different ballgame, all those notes need to be counted - I enjoyed reading your post - it's given me "food for thought" or however that goes.

Dancing on the music was never a problem, never counted - I always said the music told me what to do. Met a neighbor who was a modern dancer and said that I counted time without giving it thought, but it's not the same as playing all those notes on the piano.

Tis a puzzlement.

#986424 - 01/10/09 07:27 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by musdan:
Rosanna, I wonder if when we dance we sense the rhythm?

Dancing on the music was never a problem, never counted - I always said the music told me what to do. Met a neighbor who was a modern dancer and said that I counted time without giving it thought...
I am sure we sense the rhythm very clearly when we dance. However, just like trying to transcribe a song I hear into rhythmic notes on paper, I would find it very tricky to get say a Samba or Tango or a Polka dance rhythm onto paper.

Actually now that I think about it, I never "counted" (as in 1+2+ etc) when I learned any dance. Strange isn't it? In fact, I have seen other dancers "count" by saying "bum, dah-bum, dah-dah" with all the accents and minute emphasis to go along with the move. And thinking about a modern dance class I took, I definitely couldn't count it giving how fluid the choreography was.
 Quote:
but it's not the same as playing all those notes on the piano.
Tis a puzzlement alright! At least I assume we are now developing all parts of our brain!

#986425 - 01/10/09 11:26 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Most of my training is ballet, took tap and jazz off and on over the years and now my teacher of many years teaches only once a week - and jokingly calls it her geriatric class - it's fun but not easy. There are twelve of us and we are in our 60's.

Latin dances have tricky rhythms. "bum, dah dah" sounds like a tap dancer in some ways or maybe jazz. Guess where there's a will there's a way.

I think my brain must be saying "are you for real" bombarding it with all this new information.

It's a "good thing" that you have talent to transcribe music. My father transcribed music for my mother who was a contralto.

Onward and upward. \:\)

#986426 - 01/10/09 11:33 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
playadom Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
My mother is a retired professional dancer[modern].

She is ten times better than me when it comes to rhythm.

#986427 - 01/11/09 02:04 AM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I think if I manage to get a certain piece I just started learning done for the recital that I likely won't have perfect rhythm throughout the entire piece. Of course, I may have to ditch the certain piece if I can't make progress fast enough. Wish me luck. \:\)

#986428 - 01/11/09 09:43 AM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Anthony - I wish you the best - when is your recital?

#986429 - 01/11/09 11:54 AM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
Well, it's only going to be for the ABF online recital and not a real live recital with an audience. I don't play for absolute strangers at this point unless I know how it sounds first. \:\)

Anyway, the rhythm that I'm attempting to tackle isn't really complicated, but I've been spending some time here this morning tapping it out on the desk and trying to get it into my head before heading to the piano to try it. Again, it isn't all that complex but it is something that I've not played yet so getting the hands to work properly will take some practice.

#986430 - 01/11/09 12:07 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
musdan Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Sometimes the "easy" things are difficult to get a handle on. You'll do it. \:\)

#986431 - 01/12/09 01:18 PM Re: rhythm, rhythm, rhythm
Kymber Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: MA
I have always been rhythmically challenged. I am finally getting a good grasp on it.
I do alot of my rhythm work away from the piano.
Some things that helped me (and even my very talented and expert singing teacher does this). Mark the beats in the measure with a pencil. Get a good grasp of the couting 1 and a 2 counting as well as the 1 e an a 2 e etc..
I do alot of the work with a metronome and I picked up a book that has alot of exercises in it. I will say ta as I follow along with the rhythm line- then I will jump around to different measures to keep on top of reading different rhythms quickly. This is the book I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Readi...31783834&sr=8-6

I also heard this book was good but I haven't tried it yet. http://www.amazon.com/Sight-Read-Rhythm-...31783867&sr=8-5

It also might be good to get a book with a cd...

My current teacher also suggested to memorize the rhythm of the song before playing it.

I still have work to do but my rhythm has really improved since I have been doing this...

Good luck.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
146 registered (ajames, accordeur, 50 invisible), 1559 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157234 Topics
2309370 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Newbie - Equipment Help
by CuddlyDuddly
09/02/14 11:00 AM
Player Piano Bellows Question
by UnrightTooner
09/02/14 09:40 AM
do you memorize a piece when you learn to play it?
by Peter071
09/02/14 06:13 AM
Which classical (piano) music may I like?
by Stefo
09/02/14 05:50 AM
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
09/02/14 04:16 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission