Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#987561 - 09/22/04 02:19 PM Duetto is killing my right hand/arm
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, VA
I love this piece and want it so badly that I guess I'm spending too much time on it. I've connected the melody lines with a red pencil so I'll know where to sink my arm weight on the note, but all this twisty-turning motion of the right wrist is just about to do me in.

I'm having no problems with the left hand, but the right is taking a beating.

Would it be worth my while to work out a fingering with minimal stretching note-by-note and write it in? I don't want to injure myself and I don't want to shelve this piece either.

\:\(

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#987562 - 09/22/04 04:15 PM Re: Duetto is killing my right hand/arm
RKVS1 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I often put fingering in, particularly at the "start" of a section I have to practice a lot on ... so I don't start the practice with the incorrect hand position. Its difficult sometimes to get the correct fingerings in there, cause I seem to forget them before I can get them written down, so sometimes I resort to a little tape recorder. Knowing where I'm starting, I start playing and screaming "5 - 3 - 2 " "right 1 - TWO -4 " etc. Scares the cats, usually, but it does help me get the numbering down quicker. ( Italics means I circle the important finger number. )

In other words, I'm thinking it might be worth your time to write them in.

If you don't have a little tape recorder, you might be able to phone yourself and leave the information on the answering machine. \:\) just a thought.

Bob

#987563 - 09/23/04 09:04 AM Re: Duetto is killing my right hand/arm
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

There is a lot of stretching and jumping around in the right hand of this piece. I have tiny hands. I'm doing Hanon exercises that work on stretching and after reading your post Bob, am writing in every single fingering, but adding additional shorthand where needed. Anything to stop the shooting pain in my wrist area!

I do have a digital recorder, but I gave it to my daughter so she could record her professors' lectures.

And, as I hate the telephone, I'll leave myself alone. \:\)

#987564 - 09/27/04 12:48 PM Re: Duetto is killing my right hand/arm
WynnBear Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dallas, TX
Plays,

Duetto is tough; there are some crucial fingering spots. I bought the Henle urtext of the complete SWW and it has some good fingering notations. They work well, and point out some hand shifts at spots that work well for the piece, but which were non-intuitive for me.

It's difficult to keep those 16th triplets moving fast enough to really have the soprano and tenor melodies sing out over them. I find I can get more of the singing and connected tone working when the tenor voice is playing. The soprano voice seems to want to disappear into the "harmonic embroidery". I'm sure it's a combination of my marginal skill-set and maybe the upright action. Sure wish I had a nice S'way L to play on like some folks I could mention!

I think you may be tensing-up your wrists and arms. Try concentrating on relaxing while practising. Set the tempo really slow, don't worry too much about voicing, just think about keeping your arms and wrists loose as the music flows.

#987565 - 09/30/04 03:48 PM Re: Duetto is killing my right hand/arm
plays88skeys Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Wynne, I'm sorry I'm so late replying...I actually just saw your response. You're right -- duetto is very difficult, and my hands are so small that I can't hold some of those melody line notes for the whole count.

I, too, have the Henle edition...a long-ago gift from a very special Canadian lady. I'm afraid I've marred it up pretty badly with all my notations and fingerings...but whatever works! You keep saying your upright makes it more difficult and while I can't really address that, I will suggest that you do what I did, and draw with red pencil a line connecting all the melody notes so that you know exactly where to voice it so that it doesn't get lost.

Teacher was concerned that I might injure myself, so has given me a few books of intermediate level etude studies to work all parts of both hands while I'm concentrating on Duetto. And tempo is really at a crawl...it appears from some of your other posts that you read music better than I do, although my reading has improved a lot over the last year. I appreciate your comments and will indeed focus on keeping myself as relaxed as possible.

Thanks again! \:\)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
PX-350 Keyboard Modification
by Charles Cohen
10/31/14 04:08 PM
Pricing and discounts on under $1000 digital pianos?
by MeghanM
10/31/14 03:51 PM
now THIS is how you get realistic organ sounds
by David Farley
10/31/14 03:43 PM
The power of music
by Calgary Mike
10/31/14 03:03 PM
Minimum Room Size for a Yamaha u1/u3 ?
by calca
10/31/14 02:29 PM
Who's Online
168 registered (accordeur, ajames, Alfonser, AliAlkhiro, 42 invisible), 1796 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76720 Members
42 Forums
158645 Topics
2329892 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission