2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Craig Hair, Cheeeeee, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 4 invisible), 1,269 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi everyone. My kids would like to give me a Christmas gift related to the piano...Basically, I am an intermediate level player/reader, largely self taught, with a primary interest in jazz for solo piano. I can do a credible reading of many of the standards in the "Real Book" etc, have a working knowledge of theory, but would like to broaden and deepen my knowlege and skills...
Therefore I am thinking a Jazz Piano Method Book would be an excellent choice for this gift...
I have 2 ideas, "The Jazz Piano Book" by Mark Levine and "Intros Endings and turnarounds for the Keyboard" by John Velario....
Can any speak of their experiences with these books, or recommend other helpful books that I am not aware of?...............Thanks!

2 kids, a yellow lab, Yamaha U3 and P90.
I think there are a lot of threads about this over in the Pianist - Non Classical forum. I'd start out by searching that forum.

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
bassliner,

the jazz piano book is an excellent book. It's a great read. I don't think it will really teach you how to play, however. It isn't a method really.

Another great book you should consider, with tons of good exercises is "Metaphors for the Musician" at Sher Music.
It's much less about voicing than the jazz piano book, and more about focuses exercises.

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I'm mainly a classical player, but I'm
trying to learn jazz/popular piano on
my own, and I'm using four books. The
Jazz Piano Method by Jean Robur. This is
very short, only 80 pgs., and is very
innovate and unconventional. It was
translated out of French, which is
usually an indication of a good book if
they went to the trouble of doing that.
It gives an overview of the entire jazz
method. Jazz Piano Concepts and Techniques
by John Valerio. This is a more conventional
sort of course, with a very hands-on approach.
Jazz Theory and Practice by Richard Lawn
and Jeffrey Hellmer. This is a college
jazz textbook and is very comprehensive.
Harmony by Walter Piston, 3rd ed. This
is a college classical harmony text, but
I consider jazz and classical to be the
same. I bought it used on amazon for
$5. The current edition is about $75.

OP Offline
Thanks, Knotty and Others. After listening to the advice given here, and doing some side research, I have decided to place Metaphors for Musicians and Intros and Endings on my short list for Santa. This sounds to me like the more practical references with the quickest "payoff". I am still interested in Mark Levines book, but that will have to wait until another time.

K
K
"Beginning Jazz Keyboard" by Noah Baerman looks like a pretty hands on book.
"Anyone with basic keyboard skills (equivalent to Alfred's Basic Piano, Lesson Book 2) can dig right in and begin learning jazz right away. Spanning from the major scale and basic triad theory all the way through 7th chords, pentatonic scales and modulating chord progressions, this book features a full etude or tune demonstrating every new concept introduced. Beginning Jazz keyboard breaks the age-old tradition of dry, intimidating and confusing jazz books, and provides an actual step-by-step and enjoyable method for learning to play in this style. The CD demonstrates examples and offers opportunity to play along."

Then after that there's "Intermediate" and "Mastering Jazz Keyboard"

I also listened to his CD at CDBaby and he sounds great!

Monk - Boo Boo's Birthday
Bach - Two Part Invention No.11
[Linked Image]
EP Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If you're primarily interested in solo piano, you might want to take a look at "Solo Jazz Piano" by Neil Ohlmstead, published by Berklee Press. It's the only one I know of that's devoted exclusively (or even mostly) to solo piano.
The Play Like Me series of book/DVD sets (see separate thread) are also solo piano methods.
Most of the jazz piano method books are more aimed at group playing (which, to be fair, is by far the most popular format for jazzers).
Metaphors for the Musician is really not a method book at all. It's a good read and has a lot of good ideas, but it's not going to teach you to play jazz piano.
Mark Levine's Jazz Piano Book is an incredible resource, but unless you've already got some experience with jazz piano it might be pretty tough going.
I've seen a couple of Noah Baerman's instructional videos on a website and personally wasn't too impressed, but I haven't seen his books.
If you're really into learning jazz piano, you should recognize that it's a whole new ballgame and no single book is going to get you there.
Personally I think one of the best ones, and it will really open your eyes to what's involved, is "The Contemporary Jazz Pianist" by Bill Dobbins, published by Charles Colin Music. It's actually four volumes but volume one will kept you busy for a long time. He's also got an excellent video out called "The Evolution of Solo Jazz Piano."

Hi Bassliner,

You're going to love this! When I first started out on this piano journey of mine, I scoured local bookstores, music stores, and libraries for information that would allow me to express myself freely at the piano.

Well, one of the first things I came across was something by Jamey Aebersold. Aebersold is a "jazz" man. But don't let that stop you from learning from him.

You see, Jamey brilliantly put down in one slim volume almost everything a modern piano player needs to get started in terms of theory. His scale syllabus is really something special and explains the modes, and scales in a way that you'll really appreciate.

And here's the best news of all. He's giving away his entire groundbreaking book for free! I couldn't believe it myself. But it's true nonetheless.

Visit http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merc...re_Code=JAZZ&Category_Code=_HANDBOOK to go to his download page where you'll see the book arranged by chapters. I highly suggest you take a look at ALL this material for it's extremely useful!

----------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Bassliner,

Following up on what quiescen said regarding Aebersold, below is a link to his Volume 1 book with CD titled "How to Play Jazz and Improvise".

http://aebersold.com/Merchant2/merc...duct_Code=V01DS&Category_Code=AEBALL

Click on the right side where it says "Listen to MP3 Samples". You can hear Jamey improvise on 2 of the tracks.

I am working from the Aebersold series now and enjoying it immensely.

Good luck on your exciting journey!

Barb

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow, I haven't added anything to my piano bookmarks in awhile, but I downloaded all the PDF's off the Jazz handbook website. I look forward to learning just what these things mean, to say nothing of being able to play them on the piano. (I'm still very much a beginner... just began Alfred's Book Two. And I'm a little weak on theory at this point.)

I have some interest in being able to play Jazz piano, although I say that in full awareness that Jazz means something different to all of us. Which makes my followup question troublesome, but I'll ask it anyway. Does anyone have any experience with the Alfred's Jazz Series? Like this for example: Alfred\'s Basic Jazz / Rock Book One (Sheet Music Plus page)

One the one hand, I am a little alarmed by the purported combination of Jazz and Rock. On the other, I have enjoyed my time with the Alfred's Books, and have some comfort in the approach. But if someone has tried them and found them to be less than useful, I'd like to know that.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
OP Offline
Well once again, thanks to all. I have suggested to my kids that they may present me with 'Metaphors for Musicians" and "Intros and endings" as a gift. But I have used the advice given me here and down loaded the Jamey Aebersold series. It is evident to most of us here that no one book or approach can provide all that is needed. I'm sure I will gain (alot I hope) from all of these selections. Certainly some of the info will be redundant and serve to reinforce what I have already learned, but breaking new ground and providing "light bulb" moments for me will be the real "fruit"....thanks again folks for the advice.
And Barb, thanks for those enjoyable music clips. There are some of my favorites in your list.......

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission