2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 8 invisible), 1,593 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cassie Offline OP
OP Offline
So, I really adore the piano! But I haven't had one lesson yet...monday is my first. I've taught myself some small songs... you know, christmas songs and all, and canon in d, but I play it with a LOT of mistakes in it. It sounds horrible and choppy.

I need something that's easy but still beautiful. Please no or little flats and sharps.

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Romans 11:1
Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
cassie, from my experience, the easiest songs to play are the ones that you're absolutely wild about and really in love with, regardless of technical difficulty.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree with sid. A really easy, but good sounding piece (even the solo version) is Rob Dougan's "Clubbed to Death":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si-3h3w-8zA&mode=related&search=

cassie Offline OP
OP Offline
That's probably true, Sid. The only problem here is that most of the pieces that I'm crazy for are by Chopin or Rachmaninov, the ones that take years of experiance. But, I'll get there some day!

Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Romans 11:1
Hi!

I actually started off, after haven't played for 10 years or so, with Mozart's Rondo alla Turca. Although by many considered to be very annoying (because it is played so often) it is still a very beautiful piece and VERY easy.
There are flats and such in it, but trust me, just memorize bit by bit and you'll pick it up! If you have any questions just ask.

Best of luck,

willem

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
The Chopin C maj. mazurka op. 24 no. 2 is
easy. This is supposed to be played allegro,
but you could play it slower and it would
still sound good. The middle slow section
of the Fantasie Impromptu is also
easy. If you want to try reading a concerto,
the 3rd movement of the Tchaikovsky Concerto
No. 1 op. 23 is the easiest movement to
read of all the famous Romantic Era concertos
--or just about any concerto, for that matter.
Even an intermediate player of modest
ability should be able to read this
at less than full tempo without too much
trouble. Of course playing it at speed
would be something else altogether, but
that famous concerto theme pervades every
measure of the movement, so even at less
than full tempo it will still sound
nice. (Use the 4-hands version, and play
the 2nd piano part where necessary to
create a piano solo.)

S
S
I looked through my early piano books, but my dad had marked them all up and now it's hard to tell what I studied...

Nevertheless, I remember a Beethoven Bagatelle that was fun. And I had a thing for Scarlatti for a while. He's pretty accessible. As well as shorter pieces by Mozart or Haydn.

Until I was doing more serious work, most of my studies were in the "Classics to Moderns" series. I didn't check -- anyone know if they're still in print? Those were nice anthologies.

-- susi

-- that my story and I'm stickin' to it.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Bach prelude in C.

Originally posted by amade:
Hi!

I actually started off, after haven't played for 10 years or so, with Mozart's Rondo alla Turca. Although by many considered to be very annoying (because it is played so often) it is still a very beautiful piece and VERY easy.
There are flats and such in it, but trust me, just memorize bit by bit and you'll pick it up! If you have any questions just ask.

Best of luck,

willem
I don't find the broken octaves around measure 100 to be that easy to play. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi cassie, it's just a thought but perhaps you may get some ideas from the ABRSM syllabuses:-

http://www.abrsm.org/?page=exams/gradedMusicExams/latestSyllabuses.html

You can probably find sound files for a lot of the pieces on http://www.classicalarchives.com/ and Amazon etc.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
My children played a great piece called "Winter Wind" by David Carr Glover (I think). It was almost all arpeggios up and down, and it sounded very impressive for the first year of piano study.

Nancy

Estonia 168
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by signa:
Bach prelude in C.
This was what I was going to offer. First thing I took up 4 months ago when I started lessons. Simple to play, a little bit hard to memorize, and a little bit hard to "get right," but a nice easy piece. Full title of the piece is Well Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Prelude 1, BWV 846a.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
For me, it was the first "real" piece I ever took up (minus the turns): Paderewski's Minuet in G.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by NancyM333:
My children played a great piece called "Winter Wind" by David Carr Glover (I think). It was almost all arpeggios up and down, and it sounded very impressive for the first year of piano study.

Nancy
I read this too fast the first time and thought you were taking about Chopin's Winter Wind Etude (Op. 25, 11) eek :rolleyes:
laugh
Matt

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Chopin" and "easy" do not belong in the same sentence, I'm sorry to say, regardless of which of his 129 works is being discussed. You need to acquire very basic technique first.

I'd start with Suzuki Book I. Learn to play every piece in it perfectly (there are a dozen or so, of graduating difficulty), dynamics and all, beginning with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Make sure your chords are unified. Ensure you can play both hands in "Allegretto" perfectly in-sync. The idea is to identify your weaknesses and work on them.

THEN... move on to the fun stuff.

I think you are quite motivated and will be able to acquire this technique quickly. Trust me, the patience will pay off in the long run.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
V
V
"Chopin" and "easy" do not belong in the same sentence, I'm sorry to say, regardless of which of his 129 works is being discussed. You need to acquire very basic technique first.

Amen Gerg. It is simply a misrepresentation to refer to any of his works as easy. While learning the notes to some of his pieces is a relatively easy thing, developing the technique to play them musically is altogether different and takes time and patience to learn, sorry to say. His works are not for early beginners unless one is working with a teacher and very committed to learning them properly and then only a few of the waltzes, preludes and mazurkas.

Mozart's Rondo Alla Turk is easy? Well Amade, maybe after playing for 10 years it is but certainly this is no beginner piece either. Again, much of Mozart requires good technique and perfect timing to pull off. This piece may be overplayed and annoying to some but I still enjoy hearing it played well.

For classical it is best to start with simpler pieces like Bach's Prelude in C as noted by Signa. Also the Anna Magdelena Notebook collection by Bach, not too many sharps and flats. There are also collections by the masters. One is "The Joy of First Classics" edited by Denes Agay. This is a good place to start with simpler works by Bach, Mozart, Handel, Beethoven and others. Highly recommended for the early beginner.

Cassie don't worry about the sharps and flats its all part of the deal, besides you'll get used to them soon enough! You can't play everything in C major. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Childrens Albums are a good source of material (my teacher uses them a lot). And if you go for the more modern composers it can be a bit more interesting too; e.g:-

Prokofiev Op 65
Kabalevsky Op 27 and Op 39
Shostakovich Op 69

Some great tunes in the Kabalevsky books.

C
C
I would ask your teacher before starting any Piano Sonatas or anything by Chopin. I'm a bit surprised by people saying any of these would be easy for a beginner. I'll second LaValse's suggestion above about Children's Albums. There are several others:

Tchaikovsky
Schumann (my personal favorite)
Debussy
Bartok (called microcosmos, and this is in 6 volumes, volume 1 being the easiest and 6 being the hardest)

Also there are tons of collections out there that are organized so that the easiest pieces are in the front of the book, and the harder ones toward the back. Ask your teacher, I'm sure there are a couple that he/she uses.

There are also piano courses like Alfred's basic piano course (or adult piano course) that have the same type of thing--they start with easy pieces that teach you technique, and progress to harder pieces that teach you more advanced technique.

" I wish you music to help with the burdens of life, and to help you release your happiness to others."

--Ludwig van Beethoven
P
P
Cage's 4'33''
or
Arvo Pärt's Für Alina.

gggEb!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission