2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I cant seem to remember what it means, if I ever knew. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else.
The note that the letter c is over is an f.

"There is a fine line between Love and Hate and your erasing it"(Bea Arthur to her TV husband in maude)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forums!

Do you refer to this?

[Linked Image]

If so, this is a common time signature equal to 4/4 time signature. More on time signatures here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature

Best regards,
M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm thinking Slowbiefatwanna (thank the designer of copy/paste!) might be referring to the bass clef sign.

The "C" with the two dots. The line between the two dots is an "F" note.

[edit] well, backwards C type thing smile [/edit]

well, edit again...

OK, he might be referring to that Common Time (aka 4/4 time signature now that I read the question again. smile

I really should read things more carefully.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If it's *over* a note, could it be a C that's turned in its side face down - a fermata*? (Looks like a round eyebrow with a dot in the middle). If so, that means you hold the note.

[*wrong term corrected in post-edit]

OP Offline
I wish i could scan this in for you all to see, but its not a time sig ,, it is over the -top- of the treble clef,, not at the beginning.

if it is a tenuto, that would explain it for the c,, thanks, but on the next phrase there is an F over the top of the treble clef, in the same spot where the c was for the first phrase.. Sorry to be a pain, im only 1 month into this. I took lessons as a child for like 2 minutes,lol.

"There is a fine line between Love and Hate and your erasing it"(Bea Arthur to her TV husband in maude)
OP Offline
I put the question on yahoo answers too, there is two answers to it, both of them said it is a chord sign, top let me know what chords go well with that section of melody. Does that sound right?

This is intriguing. What is the name of the piece? Is there a key signature (grouped sharps or flats in the beginning)? Is this from a method book or what kind of source? I'm wondering whether they're indicating chords or the key, or a modulation and not using the regular signs.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It seems it might be a chord if it is over the treble staff. Having F afterwards can only further that possibility.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
What piece of music are you looking at? I bet it's an indication that the measure is in the key of C...and the next measure is in the key of F.

Are other measures labeled G and G7?

Originally posted by keystring:
If it's *over* a note, could it be a C that's turned in its side face down - a tenuto? (Looks like a round eyebrow with a dot in the middle). If so, that means you hold the note.
Keystring,

The "eyebrow with a dot in the middle" is actually called a fermata.

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent.

Kawai K-3 (2008)

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent. [/QB]
Oops, thanks. shocked I think I've mixed up those names before.

What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note. Or does this have to do with the way it's used in Bach chorales, for example, where it seems to close or end a phrase?

OP Offline
The piece is "Day Tripper"
and yes there is a d7 and e7 and then a c again for the last phrase,,, heheh
. Looks like we have an answer. Thank you all very much. Now if I can just get the rhythm

For the record, a tenuto can also indicate a fermata-like rubato. Rachmaninoff used it as such in the opening bars of his c# prelude (Op. 3 No. 2).

F
F

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent.
Oops, thanks. shocked I think I've mixed up those names before.

What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note. Or does this have to do with the way it's used in Bach chorales, for example, where it seems to close or end a phrase? [/QB]
I have several pieces with fermata. I believe it means to hold the note or chord in question for a longer time than one would do normally based on the duration of the notes. The performer can AFAIK hold the note as long as desired.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
[QUOTE]
What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note.
Simply "pause". Doesn't fermare mean "stop" in Italian?

Du holde Kunst...
It's just a chord marking. It means that the measure is accompanied by a C chord. This is very common in popular music, but not in classical.

Don
Kansas City

THanks, Currawong. I was after the Italian meaning and maybe a clue as to why that word has been chosen for the musical action indicated by the fermata sign. You see, I keep mixing up the term and calling it "tenuto" because that Italian word means "to hold", and when I first encountered the symbol I learned it meant to "hold" the note or rest. I made the mistake again today.

Babelfish says "fermare" = "to stop" and "fermata" = "stopped". So is the fermata sign also related to stopping, or do we create a feeling of stopping? "Pause" as you've defined it gives that idea of stopping and I like it better than "holding the rest/note" if that's so. It might help fix the name of the term in my mind.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hi all,

Below is a link to the most complete Internet dictionary of musical terms and symbols I've come across. Perhaps you'll all find it as informative as I find it. Immediately to the right of "Z" you will find "Symbols". One can search alphabetically or by symbol. I think it's a fantastic resource. Many terms are displayed in more than one language. laugh

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm

Regards,

Lisztener

Thank you, Lisztener - that link is invaluable as a resource.

keystring, "fermare" does mean "to stop" but "fermata" can also be used as a noun to mean "stop" as in "bus stop".
Ironically, here in Italy that sign is called "corona" ("crown") so it goes after the icon rather than the meaning. :-/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission