Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#990971 - 06/30/08 05:45 PM Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Slowbiefatwanna Offline

Loc: New Port Richey
I cant seem to remember what it means, if I ever knew. Sorry if this is covered somewhere else.
The note that the letter c is over is an f.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#990972 - 06/30/08 05:55 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
Welcome to the forums!

Do you refer to this?

If so, this is a common time signature equal to 4/4 time signature. More on time signatures here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature

Best regards,
M.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#990973 - 06/30/08 06:02 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Center City, MN
I'm thinking Slowbiefatwanna (thank the designer of copy/paste!) might be referring to the bass clef sign.

The "C" with the two dots. The line between the two dots is an "F" note.

[edit] well, backwards C type thing \:\) [/edit]

well, edit again...

OK, he might be referring to that Common Time (aka 4/4 time signature now that I read the question again. \:\)

I really should read things more carefully.

#990974 - 06/30/08 06:12 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
keystring Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
If it's *over* a note, could it be a C that's turned in its side face down - a fermata*? (Looks like a round eyebrow with a dot in the middle). If so, that means you hold the note.

[*wrong term corrected in post-edit]

#990975 - 06/30/08 06:43 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Slowbiefatwanna Offline

I wish i could scan this in for you all to see, but its not a time sig ,, it is over the -top- of the treble clef,, not at the beginning.

if it is a tenuto, that would explain it for the c,, thanks, but on the next phrase there is an F over the top of the treble clef, in the same spot where the c was for the first phrase.. Sorry to be a pain, im only 1 month into this. I took lessons as a child for like 2 minutes,lol.

#990976 - 06/30/08 06:48 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Slowbiefatwanna Offline

I put the question on yahoo answers too, there is two answers to it, both of them said it is a chord sign, top let me know what chords go well with that section of melody. Does that sound right?

#990977 - 06/30/08 06:48 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
keystring Offline

This is intriguing. What is the name of the piece? Is there a key signature (grouped sharps or flats in the beginning)? Is this from a method book or what kind of source? I'm wondering whether they're indicating chords or the key, or a modulation and not using the regular signs.

#990978 - 06/30/08 06:49 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Mati Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lodz, Poland
It seems it might be a chord if it is over the treble staff. Having F afterwards can only further that possibility.
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)

#990979 - 06/30/08 06:54 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
tenders Offline

Loc: Westchester, NY
What piece of music are you looking at? I bet it's an indication that the measure is in the key of C...and the next measure is in the key of F.

Are other measures labeled G and G7?

#990980 - 06/30/08 06:54 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Coolkid70 Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
 Quote:
Originally posted by keystring:
If it's *over* a note, could it be a C that's turned in its side face down - a tenuto? (Looks like a round eyebrow with a dot in the middle). If so, that means you hold the note. [/b]
Keystring,

The "eyebrow with a dot in the middle" is actually called a fermata.

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent.

#990981 - 06/30/08 07:08 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
keystring Offline

Quote:

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent. [/QB]
Oops, thanks. \:o I think I've mixed up those names before.

What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note. Or does this have to do with the way it's used in Bach chorales, for example, where it seems to close or end a phrase?

#990982 - 06/30/08 07:11 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Slowbiefatwanna Offline

The piece is "Day Tripper"
and yes there is a d7 and e7 and then a c again for the last phrase,,, heheh
. Looks like we have an answer. Thank you all very much. Now if I can just get the rhythm

#990983 - 06/30/08 07:19 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
tenders Offline

Loc: Westchester, NY
For the record, a tenuto can also indicate a fermata-like rubato. Rachmaninoff used it as such in the opening bars of his c# prelude (Op. 3 No. 2).

#990984 - 06/30/08 07:52 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
faucon Offline

Loc: Missouri USA
 Quote:
 Quote:

A tenuto is a horizontal dash you put over or under a note to indicate a slight accent. [/b]
Oops, thanks. \:o I think I've mixed up those names before.

What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note. Or does this have to do with the way it's used in Bach chorales, for example, where it seems to close or end a phrase? [/QB]
I have several pieces with fermata. I believe it means to hold the note or chord in question for a longer time than one would do normally based on the duration of the notes. The performer can AFAIK hold the note as long as desired.

#990985 - 06/30/08 07:53 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
 Quote:
[QUOTE]
What is the meaning of the word "fermata"? It seems to mean to "close" something, so you don't think if it as "holding" a note. [/b]
Simply "pause". Doesn't fermare mean "stop" in Italian?

#990986 - 06/30/08 08:00 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
eromlignod Offline

Loc: Kansas City
It's just a chord marking. It means that the measure is accompanied by a C chord. This is very common in popular music, but not in classical.

Don
Kansas City

#990987 - 06/30/08 08:08 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
keystring Offline

THanks, Currawong. I was after the Italian meaning and maybe a clue as to why that word has been chosen for the musical action indicated by the fermata sign. You see, I keep mixing up the term and calling it "tenuto" because that Italian word means "to hold", and when I first encountered the symbol I learned it meant to "hold" the note or rest. I made the mistake again today.

Babelfish says "fermare" = "to stop" and "fermata" = "stopped". So is the fermata sign also related to stopping, or do we create a feeling of stopping? "Pause" as you've defined it gives that idea of stopping and I like it better than "holding the rest/note" if that's so. It might help fix the name of the term in my mind.

#990988 - 06/30/08 09:23 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Lisztener Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi all,

Below is a link to the most complete Internet dictionary of musical terms and symbols I've come across. Perhaps you'll all find it as informative as I find it. Immediately to the right of "Z" you will find "Symbols". One can search alphabetically or by symbol. I think it's a fantastic resource. Many terms are displayed in more than one language. \:D

http://www.dolmetsch.com/musicalsymbols.htm

Regards,

Lisztener

#990989 - 07/01/08 04:29 AM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
keystring Offline

Thank you, Lisztener - that link is invaluable as a resource.

#990990 - 07/01/08 03:24 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
Alessandro Scotti Offline

keystring, "fermare" does mean "to stop" but "fermata" can also be used as a noun to mean "stop" as in "bus stop".
Ironically, here in Italy that sign is called "corona" ("crown") so it goes after the icon rather than the meaning. :-/

#990991 - 07/01/08 03:29 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
keystring Offline

Grazie, Alessandro. (Don't know if I spelled that right). I'm glad I asked the question because the idea of it being a pause makes a lot more musical sense than "note/rest being held". Corona does seem logical.

#990992 - 07/09/08 01:51 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
JohannSebastian Offline

Loc: Finland
What does this symbol mean, didn't find it in Lisztener's link

#990993 - 07/09/08 02:38 PM Re: Letter c over the treble clef, what does it mean?
LaValse Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mumbles, Wales

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
118 registered (bennevis, ando, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, anotherscott, 34 invisible), 1337 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153518 Topics
2249716 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A question about app.box
by LarryShone
Today at 07:08 AM
Re-stringing an 84yr old Grand.....?
by Grandpianoman
Today at 01:56 AM
Theme identification
by Polyphonist
Today at 01:26 AM
Morning Mist: a ballade for piano
by JoelW
Today at 12:27 AM
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission