Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 76 of 100 < 1 2 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1642233 - 03/16/11 12:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
I agree that for the most part they are not all that much different from the book 1 pieces. I get most of them pretty quickly but there always seems to be one or two parts of each piece that gives me trouble. It's usually whatever the new concept or technique happens to be so finally overcoming the difficulty is satisfying. I occasionally go back to past pieces that gave me trouble and am pleased to find that they aren't troublesome anymore.

You are right GracieCat, that if I concentrated on one piece at a time it would only be a week or less to learn but I am always working on a couple older pieces, my supplemental piece and scales, etc..

As of my last lesson I am finally past all of the Mexican pieces. I'm currently finishing up Festive Dance and Scherzo and should get the OK on them next Wed. I am happy with the way both of them sound. I am just starting Introduction and Dance. Still plugging along on My Heart Will Go on but making slow progress with it.

Funny you mention Blow The Man Down, I was going through a few of the pieces I recorded on my digital and that was one of them. It reminded me of how far we have come since last year.

I have a great memory, it's just short.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1642399 - 03/16/11 06:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
starbug Offline

Loc: Scotland, United Kingdom, Sol,...
I've seen a few people this past few weeks talking about the Book 2 being easier. Sadly, I'm not finding that yet frown

However, I do agree with the posters above who say to add some supplementals in too, rather than just bash away with this one book.

I guess it depends on your favourite styles, but I like the classical pieces, so I looked into Bach, and uncovered what the rest of you no doubt already knew, i.e he was a titanic genius!

I supplemented with :-

Minuet in G (BWV 114)
Prelude in C (BWV 846)

Also, looked at playing around with :-

Prelude C Minor (BWV 847)
Goldberg Aria (way outta my league, but it's a masterpiece!!)

#1643429 - 03/18/11 08:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
starbug,I'm supplementing with the book "Easy Piano Classics" Here's a link. There's a place on that page you can click to see the contents of the book. This book is right on par with Alfreds book #1.

I've never liked classical music, but I'm really finding it fun to play on the keys. Much better than just banging chords in the left hand.

My lesson yesterday was awful. I couldn't put two notes together. It would help if I could have some time to really play on her piano. The keys are much stiffer than the one's on my acoustic. It's hard to just sit down and play a piece without having some time to adjust to the different feel. She really got onto me about hitting wrong notes. I was frustrated as I could play the stupid song at home just fine.

Still working on the C scale in parallel motion. I can go up two octaves, but I can't get it together coming back down. She added 2 octave C major arpeggios. If I can't do a plain scale in parallel, I can't see accomplishing arpeggios both hands together. I suck. I hate scales.
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1643454 - 03/18/11 09:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Gracie, Do you ever play any other pianos besides yours & your teacher's? I used to have a terrible time with my brain freezing when I was playing my first teacher's piano;. It wasn't anything to do with the teacher; she was about as far from intimidating as a person could be. She suggested I should get used to playing other pianos, not just my own, so I've tried to do that occasionally. One of my neighbours has a piano that I play once in a while, I took some practice sheet music on holiday last summer & played my cousin's piano, and, just once, I went & played in a piano store for a bit. I think it's helped - I don't mangle things nearly as much at my lessons with my new teacher (who's not intimidating either, but not as much of a softy as my first teacher)

My current teacher tends to point out my wrong notes as soon as I hit them - he tells me what it should be - but I've learned to just tune it out. I told him a few weeks ago that I'm almost always aware when I hit a wrong note, so he doesn't need to draw it to my attention, & that when he tells me it should be, for example, G, it's essentially meaningless because when I'm reading music I'm not really thinking about letters - I associate the dot on the stave with a place on the keyboard - so he might as well be telling me it should be Q#. Occasionally, I'll misread something, & I appreciate it if he points it out afterwards so I can correct it. He's getting better at telling me afterwards & just zipping it while I'm playing, but he still does it sometimes I just ignore him.

Since I've been working with this new teacher, Alfred's has been on hold. I'm doing Beyer etudes - almost finished - & one of the things I like about Beyer is that some of the scale exercises are really interesting. I've been working on an Am that sounds to me like vampires sneaking around (or goblins, depending on the weather outside.) If you'd like to try a couple, pm me & I'll try to scan them & email. CM & Am have been the most interesting so far.

#1643476 - 03/18/11 10:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: joyoussong]
Howser Offline

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Originally Posted By: joyoussong

Since I've been working with this new teacher, Alfred's has been on hold. I'm doing Beyer etudes - almost finished - & one of the things I like about Beyer is that some of the scale exercises are really interesting. I've been working on an Am that sounds to me like vampires sneaking around (or goblins, depending on the weather outside.) If you'd like to try a couple, pm me & I'll try to scan them & email. CM & Am have been the most interesting so far.

JoyousSong,What is the title of the Book that you are working on?

Started: 17 December 2009
Using : Alfred's All-In-One Level 2
Jazz Exercises, Minuets, Etudes & Pieces for Piano
Alfred Adult "Greatest Hits"
Masterwork Classics 1-2

#1643487 - 03/18/11 10:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Howser]
joyoussong Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Howser
Originally Posted By: joyoussong

JoyousSong,What is the title of the Book that you are working on?

It's Beyer Preparatory School Opus 101. I didn't start at the beginning, because I already had nearly 2 years' playing, but when I started with this teacher, he recommended it. Parts of it are REALLY boring - I actually lost it with my teacher one day, I said "This book is SO boring, it doesn't even feel like music to me!" - but it's not all like that. My dexterity has improved an awful lot in a few months, my hands work a lot better together. & I can read better, especially being able to work out how things like dotted eighth notes fit into a passage. Now that I'm closer to the end of the book, the etudes sound a lot more musical (it could be that my playing's improved; maybe the earlier stuff wasn't as boring as I thought) There are only a few scale exercises scattered throughout the book, & they're much more interesting than just running up & down the scale.

Amazon has it; So does Sheet Music Plus.

#1644410 - 03/19/11 11:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Stubbie Offline

Loc: Midwest USA
I'll amend my earlier comment: the pieces in AIO Book 2 don't get easier (they are in fact more complex), rather my ability to play them has increased. Or to put it another way, it seems to me that the learning curve is not linear. It took me forever on some of the earlier pieces, but now--only a shorter version of forever, lol. Practice along with the passage of time does make a difference.

On another note--I was outside doing some spring cleanup on the landscaping around the house and got a small sliver under the skin on my left little finger, on the pad. You know, the part that comes into contact with a piano key. I got the sliver out, but my finger is still a little sore. Do you know how often you hit a key with LH5 in a piece?! Ouch!

#1645185 - 03/21/11 12:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
GracieCat Offline

Carol, I don't play too often on other pianos. I have an acoustic and digital here that I switch between. I go up to church and play on theirs some times. In fact, I play one day last week. My teacher mentioned that I needed to play on others as well. I really need to make a point to do it more.

#1645294 - 03/21/11 02:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
GracieCat, I have been much more aware of the differences between my teacher's acoustic and my digital and how they affect my playing at my lessons lately. It seems to throw me off a lot more now than it did when I started lessons. I don't know what the reason is but it takes me a while to adjust at each lesson too, and I share your pain about being able to play the 'stupid things' at home then flubbing them up at the lesson. It's not nerves anymore as I am very comfortable with my teacher at this point. I don't have an acoustic available to me to get any time on between lessons so I'll just have to deal with it.

I'll add to the discussion on the pieces in book 2 by suggesting that our skills are developing and that perhaps it's normal for them to seem as easy because our skills are keeping up with the difficulty of the pieces, yes?

I have a great memory, it's just short.

#1645708 - 03/22/11 08:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I'm with Doug. The pieces in Alfred 2 are NOT easy for me. I sometimes have to put it aside and work on much easier pieces in another book in order to not give up entirely. As for tackling a harder piece, the Alfred pieces ARE my harder pieces. Joe, I'm impressed that you find them too easy. You will probably finish Book 3 before I get to the end of Book 2. LOL

I just spent 10 days at a watercolor painting workshop, so I will be a bit rusty today when I sit down at the piano. Still working on "Festive Dance" and "Mexican Hat Dance".

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1646238 - 03/23/11 12:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: mom3gram]
Howser Offline

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
I'm with Doug. The pieces in Alfred 2 are NOT easy for me. I sometimes have to put it aside and work on much easier pieces in another book in order to not give up entirely.

I do the same, and the book of choice is Alfred Book 1. Mom3Gram, what easier book(s) to you work on?

Masterwork Classics 1-2

#1646343 - 03/23/11 07:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Howser]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I go back to Book 1 a lot too, Howser. Yesterday I spent my whole piano time working on 3 pieces from Masterwork Classics, but I've also been reviewing the later pieces in Book 1. I don't think that I learned the last 8 or so pieces as well as I should have, which probably contributes to the trouble I've had in Book 2. I love "Greensleeves" and I think it's the best piece that I play, but I've been trying to re-learn "Scarborough", "Entertainer" and "Amazing Grace" well enough that I can add them to my "permanent" repertoire. So Book 1, Book 2 and Masterworks are my go to books right now.

Joe and the others are right in a way. The first third of Book 2 isn't much harder than the last several in Book 1 - I just never really got those down well enough either. The perils of self-teaching. LOL

For "easier" pieces, I generally use some of the pieces from Gil DiBenedetti's free site. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who goes back to Book 1.

#1647795 - 03/25/11 01:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Howser Offline

I was playing Light And Blue and I realized that one of my problem is that I keep looking at my hands while playing.

How do I overcome that?

Masterwork Classics 1-2

#1647851 - 03/25/11 02:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Howser]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I was playing Light And Blue and I realized that one of my problem is that I keep looking at my hands while playing.

How do I overcome that?

by not looking at your hands

#1647867 - 03/25/11 02:41 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
Try playing with your eyes closed.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1647912 - 03/25/11 03:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
GracieCat Offline

Light and Blue was one of my favorites so far. Play it slowly and accurately THEN start increasing the speed gradually. If you're making several mistakes as you play then you're playing too fast.

Very good lesson this week. The student that was ahead of me was playing on their digital piano so I was able to work a good 10 minutes on her regular piano. I'm finally able to do a 2 octave C major scale in 3rds in parallel motion. I should be able to work out doing it an octave apart much quicker.

#1648663 - 03/26/11 11:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
romolo Offline

Almost done with Book 2! Woot! I remember when I first started learning how to play the piano...I bought all 3 books and I would look in book 2 and think that there was no way I'd be able to play any of these pieces. Now...learning a new piece is becoming easier and easier. I remember having so much trouble with "Blow the Man down" in book 1 and now when I look back at it...I wonder what was so hard about it HA! I even find myself memorizing a lot of the pieces. I'm so glad I stuck with this :P.

#1648780 - 03/27/11 08:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: romolo]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

That's fantastic, Romolo!

#1648883 - 03/27/11 11:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: romolo]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: romolo
Almost done with Book 2! Woot! I remember when I first started learning how to play the piano...I bought all 3 books and I would look in book 2 and think that there was no way I'd be able to play any of these pieces. Now...learning a new piece is becoming easier and easier. I remember having so much trouble with "Blow the Man down" in book 1 and now when I look back at it...I wonder what was so hard about it HA! I even find myself memorizing a lot of the pieces. I'm so glad I stuck with this :P.

how long did book 2 take you?

#1648911 - 03/27/11 12:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: findingnemo2010]
Howser Offline

Originally Posted By: joeb84

How do I overcome that?

by not looking at your hands

Wow, that's quite helpful.

Masterwork Classics 1-2

#1648914 - 03/27/11 12:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: GracieCat]
Howser Offline

Originally Posted By: wj3
Try playing with your eyes closed.

Will try that, thanks WJ3.

Originally Posted By: GracieCat
Light and Blue was one of my favorites so far. Play it slowly and accurately THEN start increasing the speed gradually. If you're making several mistakes as you play then you're playing too fast.

Thanks GracieCat, will slow it down and see.

Masterwork Classics 1-2

#1649252 - 03/28/11 12:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: findingnemo2010]
romolo Offline

I started in the summer, july 2010, so about 8-9 months.

#1649457 - 03/28/11 11:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: romolo]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: romolo
I started in the summer, july 2010, so about 8-9 months.

wow i started it in june 10 im still on it tryna push thru it...its taking me forever.

#1649467 - 03/28/11 11:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I started a year ago January 1, but I'm slow. LOL

#1649475 - 03/28/11 11:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: mom3gram]
findingnemo2010 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mom3gram
I started a year ago January 1, but I'm slow. LOL

its ok...your not the only one lol whome

#1649861 - 03/28/11 10:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
romolo Offline

I do practice a lot though...I think more than the average person would. Usually twice a day. More on weekends.

#1651182 - 03/30/11 05:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
romolo Offline

Just curious...what are some of your favourite songs in book 2 so far?
Mine would have to be Guantanamera, Brahms's Lullaby, Etude, Love's Greetings, and by far by favourite is Waltz in G Minor. I seem to play it everyday :P.

#1651190 - 03/30/11 05:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: romolo]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I haven't gotten that far into it yet, but my favorites would have to be Hungarian Rhapsody 2, Alexander's Ragtime Band, and Festive Dance (which I'm still working on).

#1651196 - 03/30/11 05:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
romolo Offline

Another quick question...
Does anyone else feel like they have an easier time sight reading and playing with the right hand than with the left? I find it a lot easier playing the notes without looking on the treble clef than i do with the base clef. I can play the melody without looking at the piano keys but its a lot hard to do that with the right hand...am i the only one?

#1651886 - 03/31/11 04:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
romolo Offline

Danny Boy is becoming a real challenge... :S

Page 76 of 100 < 1 2 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (Atrys, accordeur, Anticlock, ascc, 32 invisible), 1314 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295868 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
35 minutes 27 seconds ago
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
36 minutes 9 seconds ago
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission