Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 48 of 100 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1242865 - 08/03/09 07:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Aside from getting distracted by digital connections. MIDI, etc., I'm going back in order, so I'm now about to record Morning Has Broken, then Solace, followed by the dreaded La Bamba.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1242880 - 08/03/09 08:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Cool, Morning has Broken is lovely. GL with La Bamba, but in all honestly, I think you have the talent to pull it off without a problem. I'll be sure to listen to them all when you post 'em.

#1243351 - 08/04/09 02:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have made my final recording of Canon in D! I guess I won't post it until the 15th though. I also have to find a .wmv ---> .mp3 converter online.

I will say this though: it is played slower in my final playing.
The first was 2:39 in length, this one is 2:57 in length.

Tomorrow will be my last day working on Canon in D, after I will be completely on Book 3.

#1243357 - 08/04/09 02:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Waltz
I have made my final recording of Canon in D!

Congrats! I can't wait to hear the final version. Make sure and post it here as well as the recital?

I've been working on the Dan Coates version of Canon in D (more of the same; but slightly different smile ). I don't know if I'll have it at recital quality before the uploads are due. I can play all the parts of it pretty well; but putting them all together and getting through the whole song is proving to be difficult. A few areas I should work on individually; and I'm not sure my speed is up to what it should be. Ah well - it's fun to practice at least!

#1243366 - 08/04/09 02:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Nancy. I hope you can get the Coates version by the 15th, it would be really fun to hear it. I think you can do it. I really want to just upload mine to youtube and post it here now, but it would probably take the fun out of the recital. But I'll post the link here on the 15th, and in the recital page.

Is the Coates version similar to this version played by this kid?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ibPfp2ofE

#1243390 - 08/04/09 03:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Thanks Nancy. I hope you can get the Coates version by the 15th, it would be really fun to hear it. I think you can do it. I really want to just upload mine to youtube and post it here now, but it would probably take the fun out of the recital. But I'll post the link here on the 15th, and in the recital page.

This is the one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzBVcC_Cto

I don't play the fast parts nearly fast enough yet smile I'm working on it though!

(Edited to add this is NOT me playing it - just a random you tube video I found )

Edited by nancy_w (08/04/09 03:18 PM)

#1243519 - 08/04/09 05:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: nancy_w

This is the one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzBVcC_Cto

I don't play the fast parts nearly fast enough yet smile I'm working on it though!

(Edited to add this is NOT me playing it - just a random you tube video I found )

Ah, yes! That version is much more similar to how it is commonly played at weddings. Beautiful, but it looks much more difficult than the A2 version.

#1243730 - 08/05/09 12:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

I know it's not in book #2 - but since we started talking about it here grin I'm working on the easy Coates version of Canon in D. I'm approaching my practice quite differently now. First, I've gone though the whole piece and think I understand the timing of everything (there's one part on page 4 I might need to speed up slightly) although I'm playing everything slower than might be indicated in the music. I can play any part of it fine as long as I concentrate and focus on that section.

I started learning this piece from front to back of course; and I'm definitely more comfortable with the beginning. So now I'm starting over at the end. smile

I took the last phrase (hope that's the right terminology) and played that a bunch of times in a row until I felt more comfortable with it. Then I moved forward in the music and added the next to last phrase, played it, plus the last one. This way I'm playing the last phrase more and more as I add more and more of the beginning of the song. I spent some time this evening doing this - and feel it's working well. I'm much more comfortable with the end of the song now.

Still have a long way to go - I got through page four, but am still making occasional mistakes that I'm not happy with.

#1243946 - 08/05/09 11:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
Waltz you can download a program call Audcity. It will convert your .wav file to an .mp3. Its free and alot of us here us it. Good luck.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1243951 - 08/05/09 11:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: wj3]
wj3 Offline

Opps! Thats Audacity....sorry

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1244078 - 08/05/09 02:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: wj3]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nancy, nice strategy. It's easy to "front load" your practice time with a piece and going backwards will defeat that. All around, I think the Coate's version is great, one thing in particular is that it begins with excitement, while the A2 version begins slow and dull. The LH is more active throughout as well. I'm pulling for you smile

Thanks wj3. I converted the file to an mp3 and have now uploaded it! I'm number 24 I think; nice number, very circadian. Before the recital begins, I will put the youtube video in my recital page.

Please watch the YOUTUBE video everyone, instead of listening to the mp3!

#1244083 - 08/05/09 02:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have finished my piano practices for the day (which was mostly Canon in D), and thus have finished Canon in D and Alfred's Book 2!

When I started in this forum, I was hard at work on this book, Book 2, and this thread has been my "home" since joining here. It's a little strange leaving for the Book 3 thread, but I suppose I have no choice. I will continue to check this thread very often.

Thanks Everyone,

#1244091 - 08/05/09 02:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Nancy, nice strategy. It's easy to "front load" your practice time with a piece and going backwards will defeat that. All around, I think the Coate's version is great, one thing in particular is that it begins with excitement, while the A2 version begins slow and dull. The LH is more active throughout as well. I'm pulling for you smile

I sat down this morning when the house was empty except for me (a rare thing) and played it through a few times. I even recorded it twice to see how I'd do. I still have a lot of hesitation in areas where I'm hunting for the correct notes; and am hitting the wrong notes too often.

I'm doing really well on the last part of it (it's almost the easiest now). I'm going to try to keep doing the play from the middle to the end in my practice, but might mix it up a bit as I'm still having issues with the very first part of the song - the right hand has a pattern to it; but it's not as obvious as the others and I'm having a hard time internalizing it so that I can get it right every time.

Congrats on finishing book #2! I don't think I'm fully done with it yet; as I have a few I skipped that I want to go back to at some point. I'll see you in the book 3 thread too smile

#1244123 - 08/05/09 03:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

#1244232 - 08/05/09 07:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nice job MiM. They all sounded very, very nice to me. The last one: the joy of a digital, how beautiful it sounds with the strings added! smile

#1244511 - 08/06/09 07:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Comparing MIDI and MP3.

Tumbalalaika (MIDI)

Tumbalalaika (Mp3)

I'm wondering which one sounds better on your computer! I may need to tinker with the setting to get better quality if it doesn't sound acceptable to your ears. The interesting thing is that MIDI of this piece is about 2k, whereas the MP3 is over 600k. This is due to the way MIDI works as it only transfers computer language instructions describing the file content, and not the actual recording of the content as in .wav and .MP3. Because of that, when you play a MIDI file on your computer you get the sound quality of your instrument, not that of the instrument on which the piece was played, or the sound of whatever software synthesizer you have installed, such as Windows synthesizer).

#1244941 - 08/06/09 06:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

MiM:

The Mp3 file definitely sounded more rich than the MIDI. The MIDI sounded fine, don't get me wrong, but it was more mechanical and the Mp3 more natural.

Just my take

#1245013 - 08/06/09 08:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Those that might be interested, I did a little research and I found a course on playing by ear, which is something I thought I add to my daily piano learning. I already ordered the product but haven't received it yet. I only know from some reviews and from what I read about its details that it is something of interest to me. I hope it does not slow my Book 2 progress, but I think it's worth it.

I found this course by accident, but after I read about it here on Piano Forum, I decide to get it, as it uses standard notation and helps in building your chords knowledge.

It's here: http://www.pianoplayingbyear.com/

Caveat: I'm not affiliated with this guy nor do I even know if the product is really good.

#1245048 - 08/06/09 08:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
wj3 Offline

Congtratulations Waltz. Its quite an accomplishment. I have just started book 2 so I will be here awhile. Enjoy book 3 and come back and see us here once in awhile.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:

#1245114 - 08/06/09 10:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: wj3]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Walt smile . I will certainly check this thread often, I'm very fond of it and the people here.

#1246489 - 08/09/09 11:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I have finished my piano practices for the day (which was mostly Canon in D), and thus have finished Canon in D and Alfred's Book 2!

When I started in this forum, I was hard at work on this book, Book 2, and this thread has been my "home" since joining here. It's a little strange leaving for the Book 3 thread, but I suppose I have no choice. I will continue to check this thread very often.

Thanks Everyone,

Fantastic! Well done Waltz! Congratulations upon your completions of book 2. You certainly have been working very hard at it, and therefore well deserved. I'm not sure if you've posted your final version of Canon in D any where yet, but will have to take a listen when I get a chance.

Lots of luck to you with book 3, and please say Hi to Undone for me. I may pop in over there once in a while to listen to everyone's recordings.

Cheers,

Key Notes smile

#1246805 - 08/10/09 03:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Key Notes]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Key Notes!

I will keep up with this thread as well. The final version of Canon in D is here (on my channel's main page):

http://www.youtube.com/user/uvajoe1

Undone is doing very well in the Book 3 thread, hard at work on some really challenging songs. Thanks again and take care smile

Waltz

#1247050 - 08/11/09 12:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Waltz,

Thanks for the link to your Canon in D. Sounded very nice with beautiful timing and musicalities. Lovely!

Key Notes smile

#1247061 - 08/11/09 01:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Music_in_Me
Comparing MIDI and MP3.

Tumbalalaika (MIDI)

Tumbalalaika (Mp3)

I'm wondering which one sounds better on your computer! I may need to tinker with the setting to get better quality if it doesn't sound acceptable to your ears. The interesting thing is that MIDI of this piece is about 2k, whereas the MP3 is over 600k. This is due to the way MIDI works as it only transfers computer language instructions describing the file content, and not the actual recording of the content as in .wav and .MP3. Because of that, when you play a MIDI file on your computer you get the sound quality of your instrument, not that of the instrument on which the piece was played, or the sound of whatever software synthesizer you have installed, such as Windows synthesizer).

Music in Me,

You are a wonderful pianist, I see. I enjoyed your performances. Thanks for sharing your recordings and comparisons between the MIDI and the MP3 files of Tumbalalaika. I was very curious about the sound qualities and differences between these two files formats through my computer set-up, and so it helps to hear your recordings of this beautiful song.

While I recognized that MP3 would be the best and ideal file format in terms of consistencies in sound qualities across the different computer platforms, much to my surprise, I've found that I preferred the MIDI file of Tumbalalaika instead of the MP3 in this case. It seemed to sound much clearer and crisper than the MP3, which sounded weaker in general with a bit more muffled background noises to it as well. Very interesting, it could just be my set-up of course.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences and knowledge with us. Looking forward to hearing many more of your recordings.

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Edited by Key Notes (08/11/09 03:29 AM)

#1247096 - 08/11/09 06:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Key Notes]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Key Notes, thanks for your comments...it's really good to hear a fellow pianist have anything positive to say about my playing. Let us all help each other with feedback and tips, so that at the end we all emerge winners.

It's interesting that you liked the MIDI sound, which isn't too bad, but it depends on your sound module (software in your computer or actual external harware). I like the MIDI version when I direct the file to be played on my keyboard, but not through Microsoft synth. If you have a MIDI cable, hook it up to your keyboard, and play any MIDI file using the familiar sounds of your keyboard.

As for the MP3, I am now able to do a process called normalization and silence removal which improves the quality of the sound. I think for sharing files, MP3 or Wave are the only ways to go to ensure that people hear what you want them to hear.

#1247981 - 08/12/09 03:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi All.

I finally finished Pomp and Circumstance!!! I thought I would bump this thread by posting my recording of it. This piece took me forever.

http://www.box.net/shared/2qyk9rqd0j

#1247986 - 08/12/09 03:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nice, you sounded clearly in control of the song. Well done.

Edited by Music_in_Me (08/12/09 03:41 PM)

#1248303 - 08/13/09 08:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Thanks MIM.

I'm moving on to Swinging Sevenths. This one seems a bit easier to me than Pomp and Circumstance was.

#1248306 - 08/13/09 08:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Also, I just listened to both versions of Tumalalaika. I definitely like the mp3 version better. It has a fuller sound to me.

You play very well.

#1248527 - 08/13/09 01:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Key Notes]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Key Notes
Hi Waltz,

Thanks for the link to your Canon in D. Sounded very nice with beautiful timing and musicalities. Lovely!

Key Notes smile

Thanks Key Notes blush . How have you been doing?

Page 48 of 100 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 50 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
86 registered (Ben_NZ, barmassimo, Atrys, accordeur, 23 invisible), 1204 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156326 Topics
2295893 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
piano technician cost list
by ascc
Today at 01:36 AM
Liszt on Steinway A3
by Reno
Today at 01:35 AM
Roland RD800 initial impressions
by fizikisto
Today at 12:28 AM
Connected Slurs
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 12:17 AM
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission