2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 85 of 190 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 189 190
B
B
Yea book 2 seems to be moving on pretty smoothly. The 3/4 time songs seems to be the easiest, I took a sneak peak at the German "du" song and it seems to be a lot easier than the one I am working on. Funny because in book 1 I found myself struggling with the 3/4 time and now I like it best. I have a Casio keyboard with the "touch response" and seems you can't hold the notes as long as a regular piano, but then again mine is a wk-200 cost me about 150 dollars. I will probably get something nice when I am finished with book 3.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow. That does seem like a lot for the $$$. I'd looked a bit in the DP thread and had assumed you needed to spend upwards of 1500 to 2000 for 88 weighted keys. Thanks, sounds like I need to do some basic research.

By the way, the tip on simultaneous stac/legat worked fine. Now, if I could solve the problem in Overture of my left and right hands wanting to smash into each other....... crazy

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello everyone! I'm jumping into the Book Two thread as I've just graduated from Book One during my lesson I while ago laugh

My teacher and I worked on the first couple of pieces Down in the Valley and Bridal Chorus and seeing as they were just reviews in the Key of C and much easier than Amazing Grace from Book 1, I almost sight-read them. I'm supposed to polish them until next week's lesson. My teacher switched my DP to "pipe organ" setting while I was playing Bridal Chorus, which elicited quite a few laughs laugh I can't wait for the more challenging pieces in the book - around where do they start?

@ JimF: I think you need to spend around $500~600 for a decent Casio entry level DP. I initially started with a Casio CTK-800 keyboard with touch response (more or less $200) and thought I was happy with it until I played some acoustics at a music store and realized how weak my fingers were (plus the PW people convinced me to get something with weighted keys). Even though my Casio PX-720 was less than $1000, it was a major decision for me but I never regretted the purchase (though I do regret that I don't have enough money to buy something better grin). I also don't have to worry about running out of keys, especially since my other non-Alfred pieces require the keys at the upper/lower end of the treble/bass.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congrats Marimorimo on your graduation! I envy your having a teacher and think its time I really gave some thought to that issue, especially if I'm going to treat myself to a new "toy". When I get to little things like the triplet in Amaz Grace which begins with d#eg arpeggiated chord and ends with dc, its pretty obvious that having a teacher show me how in the world I'm supposed to play that would really be a lot easier than trying to work it out myself. I've no idea what I would do if youtube examples were not available to hear and look at.

I'm on third day of Overture and its finally starting to come together. Does anyone else ever have what I call "happy hands?" Thats when one hand or the other which isn't doing much tries to move for no real reason.
When I watch the accomplished players on youtube their hands always seem so "quiet" to me, very controlled and relaxed, and certainly not wanting to move for no reason at all.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Marimorimo,

Welcome to the Book 2 thread. The challenge will pick up fairly shortly, but if you can nearly sight read the first two you're off to a great start.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To all newcomers to the Book 2 thread,

Feel free to post recordings of yourself playing on this thread. It's a great way to have a "tangible" product once finishing a piece and to receive feedback. Personally, I find it very enjoyable to hear everyone's interpretation and personalization of the songs, it's fun.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Does anyone else ever have what I call "happy hands?"

I don't have "happy hands:, but I have "runaway hands." grin That's when one of my hands isn't doing anything much and tends to run away from the keyboard! Sometimes, I even end up thinking "Huh? Where did my hand go?" crazy

@Waltz: I'm planning to post recordings, once I get over the laziness of bringing the laptop to the piano and connecting the midi cable to it!

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Introduction and Dance (combined with some serious buildup of activity with work) delayed me for a few weeks. I am currently at a reasonable level of polish on that, Streets of Laredo, and Plaisir d'Amor (pardon the spelling there, it's off the top of my head... in fact, I may not even be close... it's that Elvis piece). But until I can grab a reasonable recording, you'll have to take my word for it.

House of the Rising Sun is next. Still can't believe I am only 40 something pages into this.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me
Anyone out there good with notation? This is a general question, so please take a look even if you haven't gotten to this song yet.

In Space Shuttle Blues (page 75), there are 4 beats per measure in a 4/4 time signature. The second measure is two 1/8th notes followed by one half note. That adds up to 3 quarter notes! I understand the tie to the next measure, but I still think they should show another quarter note in that measure. Comments?

The half note has an augmentation dot - making it 3 beats long. I bet im not the first to mention this - but hay ho.

I told my wife I wanted a grand piano she said - no way - £500 maximum.
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I had to go back and take a close look, and sure enough there is a dot in there! Amazing how I just didn't see it at all. Thanks for the heads up on this one.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Introduction and Dance... mercy, did I ever dislike this one.

http://www.box.net/shared/gskt2a0or7

Casio Ap-200
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Casio Ap-200
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Those were great, AW2PP! I am SO far behind you now. It takes me weeks to get a song to about half the level that you do. I was hoping to get to Book 2 before the end of the year, but I don't see that happening.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano
Introduction and Dance... mercy, did I ever dislike this one.

http://www.box.net/shared/gskt2a0or7

Well played! It's a tough piece, but it has a nice sound.

What is everyone working on now? Status updates laugh

[Linked Image]
B
B
ETUDE opus 10 no 3.... I had been pretty much flying through book 2, but this one stopped me dead in my tracks. I'm glad because this song seems to be worth figuring out, The only song I skipped was Aloha Oe, I just cant sit there and spend hours trying to get that song right. Black Forest Polka was pretty easy once you get the pattern down, and it seems to be pretty much the same lesson learning about 1st and 2nd inversions? Is there any benefit to Aloha Oe that I will miss by skipping it? ETUDE seems to be worth trying to make a recording when its done because of the complexity.

Last edited by bobjr; 10/19/09 11:50 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Aloha is simply playing triad, 1st inversion, 2nd inversion, repeat... It's an exercise in inversions, so if you can do those without issue, you didn't miss too much.

How long have you played piano bobjr? You are a very quick learner regardless smile

And, by all means, make a recording of 10/3. I'd love to hear it! A thread earlier was debating the usefulness of simplified arrangements but I think you'll find this one rewarding.

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Got started on Light and Blue this morning. Just read it through, noted the repeats and harder looking spots, clapped it, and started casually picking at the right hand notes. Suspect I will like it because I have a lot of piano blues ipod tunes and really enjoy that style. Polishing Overture and Guantanamera. Your tips on Overture were very useful and it now seems almost a trivial little piece. You can't beat that feeling when what once seemed insurmountable suddenly gels - when you know its all downhill from there.

Most of my practice time recently has been in piano stores!! Decided my little unweighted keyboard will eventually hold me back, so its time to step up. Have test driven 4 or 5 manufacturers and models from the very low end to the highest. Trying to decide between a Roland HP207 and a Yamaha CLP (looking at 330,340, and 380). If anyone can provide insight to these or other digitals it would be greatly appreciated.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
AWtPP, good job on those two pieces... I know Intro & Dance is a bit hard and fast too. The important thing is to capture the technique they want you to try, and later on you can go back to it to make sound better. I should follow my own advice actually as I seem to spend too much time trying to "perfect" it so I can record it, which I really don't think is necessary. I think you played it just right.

Waltz: on status update, I paused at Olympic Procession as I got busy with chords and piano accompaniment exercises. I'm hoping to get back on the horse early next week.

JimF, sorry can't help with the piano search (I did that a few times and I know it's painful), I suggest you search the forum, there is lots of info on all kinds of pianos and keyboards.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me
AWtPP, good job on those two pieces... I know Intro & Dance is a bit hard and fast too. The important thing is to capture the technique they want you to try, and later on you can go back to it to make sound better. I should follow my own advice actually as I seem to spend too much time trying to "perfect" it so I can record it, which I really don't think is necessary. I think you played it just right.

Thanks, MiM. As to the technique, I wonder if anyone else noticed while they learned this... I got the sensation that my hands, especially my right hands, were moving vertically quite a bit. That I had to go up and down to fit fingers between the black keys. I mentioned this to my PT, and she said the unfamiliarity of jumping in between the black keys is the reason for this... but I thought I would throw this observation out to the rest of you.

Casio Ap-200
C
C
Hi:

I would like to share my experience with DP's (digital pianos).

I started out with a Yamaha unweighted $299.00 keyboard. A year later I purchased a more advanced weighted/graded key Yamaha $1200..still not happy a year later. Then I purchased my Kawai acoustic Grand, I found it on Craig's list. Extremely happy, except my husband didn't like the loudness of it. Then the problem became finding a DP that touched like my Grand but could be practiced with head phones to keep the husband quiet, I ended up with a used Kawai MP9000 stage piano and I love it. I only have $1300. invested including a new amplifier (Peavey KB4). You definitely need weighted & graded keys its the only way you will learn touch control or at least that's what I call it. Check out your local Craig's list. My Piano Teacher has a Roland and I like it also but the touch is better on the Kawai. The reason I'm sharing this is to encourage you to not cheat yourself. "New" isn't always better. My Kawai DP was the top of the line when it was produced 10 years ago. I got a great buy on it used, so it cost me less than Yamaha's midrange weighted/graded new Digital pianos & It has better touch. I will be sending my Kawai DP after the first of the year to be serviced and lubricated just because I love it so much and I want to ensure I get the most out of it.

Good Luck shopping

Kind Regards,

Zoe Hall
Kawai KG-2
Kawai MP9000
Page 85 of 190 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission