2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 75 of 190 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 189 190
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks Waltz, nice of you to drop in.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
MiM:

A great job on both of those pieces! La Raspa was a tricky thing to count, due to the various rests between notes throughout, but you certainly mastered that nicely. I think Mexican Hat Dance is next (or coming up). It's another well known song.

What did you decide with La Bamba?

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I spent about a full week on La Bamba and still working on it... I won't rest until I do it tired

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do you learn new pieces HS first, then put HT? Or do you, from the beginning, try to learn HT?

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Always HS. This is what I usually do (it works well I think):

1) Look at the piece key, structure, types of chords, rests, ties, etc.
2) Listen to it a few times even if you're familiar with it.
3) Using your index finger for pointing to the notes on the sheet, count treble clef and base clef separately. Your finger touches the sheet on beats only, and stays on the sheet when it's a tie, etc. Then count with same finger both clefs (as practically possible).
4) Play right hand, then left hand.
5) Put them together and hope for the best.

Even though La Bamba is already taking over a week, I did La Raspa and Jolly Fellow in a day each, so this method does have some merit, and I'm sure any shortcoming is my fault not the method's!

P.S. I have never heard anyone mention using the index finger with counting, so if there's any chance of getting a patent on it, I'd go for it.... The MiM Index Finger Counting Method. wow

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I should clarify that La Raspa and For He's a Jolly Good Fellow were two pieces I've seen before, not completely new... otherwise it would've taken me more than a day to record for sure. New ones for me were Solace and Alexander's Rag Time Band, and those took me about 10 days each, just for the record!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for sharing that, the finger thing sounds interesting. I think perhaps I should spend more time HS

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
MiM, I am right there with you... trying to get a decent recording of The Mexican Hat Dance.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
AWPP, that's great, let's try to get this down as quickly as possible. It appears a little fast but it's a catchy piece. It's a new piece for me, versus some that I tried one way or another years ago.

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Have you ever changed fingering?

Interestingly enough, I have never attempted to change the prescribed fingering, thinking that it would be a mistake to do so. In the last two pieces I worked on, though, the ones I finished in a day each having tried them years before, I remember clearly struggling with some passages, and then see a sudden improvement once I changed the fingering to something that suited me. Is this change of fingering something you often do? How does everyone feel about that?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I do have a history of being creative when it comes to fingerings. In the case of Mexican Hat Dance, I found I had to abide pretty closely to the suggestions, otherwise I would get hopelessly lost. I tried, and tried to get a version of this that I considered to be truly Allegro, but just couldn't do it. (More on this on my latest blog entry, but really, all I did was take two long paragraphs to say "can't play it fast".)

This something I am trying to play close attention to... thusfar in my piano playing, I haven't played many (any?) fast pieces, but many of the complicated piece that most interest me, things I hope to play in 5 or 10 years, require fast runs.

At any rate, this will do. And now I am going to fight the same dragon with the Tarantella.

http://www.box.net/shared/sd9qbvtr9t

Casio Ap-200
Hey, good job!!! Yet another piece in the All-In-One version that is not in the Basic version. It sounds like a hard piece to master.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AWTPP,

Excellent, excellent job with Mexican Hat Dance.

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Good job, AWPP... I think you got most of the speed in there. My CD's version is just a tad bit faster but not by much. I've already spent a day on this, and I still feel this will take a few days easily.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
If there are any pieces from any Alfred book you want posted on the opening page, post it here and drop me a PM. Some stuff gets lost in the conversation and I don't always read through every post of every thread.

Thanks

Mark...

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks Mark. My version of Alexander's Ragtime Band is done at same speed as in the book. Check it out.
http://www.box.net/shared/sjderkqn4o
Alexander's Ragtime Band

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Music_in_Me
Thanks Mark. My version of Alexander's Ragtime Band is done at same speed as in the book. Check it out.
http://www.box.net/shared/sjderkqn4o
Alexander's Ragtime Band

well done...I will add
Mark

Last edited by Mark...; 08/28/09 09:12 AM.
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
AWtPP, I'm still on Mexican Hat Dance, trying to speed it up a little more. How did you find hitting the first F# with your left pinky starting on line 4? It seems a little hard when you are going fast to get the small finger to fall on the key without slipping. Any trick that worked for you?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi, MiM. I eye-checked that part. Meaning, I kept an eye on what my LH was doing, while my RH was on auto-pilot. For me, this particular passage was not difficult. The biggest difficulty I had was in the measure directly above the one you refer to, where I had to move my LH ring finger down to a low G. I had a miserable time with this. That and the last measure, where the hands are moving quickly in opposite directions. Oh, and I had quite a bit of trouble doing the 1-2 thing, where the footnote says to "Play the F and G together with the side of the thumb." To me that was much harder than just reaching for the notes.

I had to play Mexican Hat Dance more than most other pieces so far, so a lot of repetition is really the only trick that worked for me.

All that said, here is the Tarantella. All 20 seconds of it. I'd have skipped it entirely, but our 3 year old seems to like to dance to it.

http://www.box.net/shared/gmfm5rj348

Casio Ap-200
Page 75 of 190 1 2 73 74 75 76 77 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission