Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 99 of 100 < 1 2 ... 97 98 99 100 >
Topic Options
#2209099 - 01/06/14 02:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

@JimF
I'd say I can feel it getting easier already, learning Gm Minuet is not as frustrating as the first one. (maybe it's easier though)

@Scorpio
I am not planning on totally abandoning Alfred's, I'll just learn a few of the Anna Magdalena book pieces for a while along with it.

Anyway; meanwhile I had a go at "Introduction and Dance". Not as good as I would have liked but I already spent so much time stuck here, time to move on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZFDNsl_4c

I also discovered Pianoteq has an internal recording feature which allows midi -> wav exporting, somehow I never noticed it before. The sound is way cleaner compared to recording it with audacity, which introduces a background his/noise.

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2209183 - 01/06/14 07:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
scorpio Online   content

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted By: sydnal
"Introduction and Dance"
Very Nice! Sounds great.

I think sticking with Alfred's is a great plan. I look forward to hearing more. I am always looking for your uploads.

I have been playing around with Pianoteq myself. I only have the trial for the time being, but it has been fun playing with it.

Yamaha P-155

#2209188 - 01/06/14 08:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    sydnal Offline

Thanks Scorpio. I love Pianoteq. Although it sounds somewhat artificial, it's very responsive. I don't know if this is the right word but with pianoteq I feel somehow "connected" to the instrument and this is worth more than a realistic sound to me. Somebody with a dp that has a good sound engine might not notice as big of a difference though.

#2209203 - 01/06/14 08:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
    scorpio Online   content

Originally Posted By: sydnal
    with pianoteq I feel somehow "connected" to the instrument
    I am really glad you expressed this sensation. I feel more connected to the DP too! In fact, I thought I was actually playing better with Pianoteq. There is no perceptible delay, but maybe the 2ms delay is just enough to process the finger action so that it comes out better. Practicing some of those Bach pieces, they seem to flow more than with the DP sounds. It has been a pleasure working with it.

And I have no issues with the sound. I think it is fine. Your recording sounds great.

Edited by scorpio (01/06/14 08:53 AM)

Yamaha P-155

#2214398 - 01/14/14 08:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: scorpio]
      Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
      Originally Posted By: scorpio
      I have been working through Suzuki, and that has been a struggle but fun. (well, it was fun until I saw a 6 year old play the entire book, from start to finish, without flaws!)

I have also been working on some pieces in the Masterwork Classics series. In fact, I have been wanting to start a similar thread to this one for both Suzuki and the Masterwork series.

Scorpio, that's a good idea. I've been working on Masterwork Classics 3. I have not totally abandoned Alfred's but I am finding the pieces in Masterworks more enjoyable. I'm on Passepied in C Major about to go on to Menuet in G Major.

My daughter is learning with the Suzuki method, and so I am also learning the pieces at her pace, maybe a song ahead of her so I can help her practice. We're near the end of book 1.

Anyhow, I would be interested in threads for the Suzuki & Masterwork Classics series. I don't think there would be enough interest for all the different levels in each series, but one thread for each would be nice.
      Masterwork Classics 3
      Alfred's Level 2

#2214404 - 01/14/14 08:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      mom3gram Offline
      1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
      Just listened to your "Introduction and Dance", Syndal, and thought you did a great job.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#2214589 - 01/14/14 01:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      sydnal Offline

Thank you mom3gram.

#2214792 - 01/14/14 08:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
      I have Masterworks Classics 3, but I have yet to try it. I am definitely able to play them at this point now. The 1-2 book is too easy, although I could probably perfect them now if I desired. I have all the companion books for them as well, and I found them helpful for understanding how the music should be played. It is a stark contrast to the Alfred books, though. It feels more like a Royal Conservatory book, intended to be played repeatedly to perfection. I enjoy the pieces, but I have been focused on book 2 of alfred's.

#2215171 - 01/15/14 12:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Ohio_Mark Offline

I am working on Waltz in G Minor and Symphony No. 6 - neither are terribly difficult. I've also skipped ahead and started working on the Canon in D arrangement at the end. My teacher hosts a spring recital - I'm contemplating offering up the Canon in D. It will be my first ever live performance.

We'll see.

#2218870 - 01/22/14 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      Hitry Plan Offline

Unfortunately, I bought Book 2 without a CD, downloadable content available?

#2218894 - 01/22/14 03:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Hitry Plan]
      scorpio Online   content

Originally Posted By: Hitry Plan
      Unfortunately, I bought Book 2 without a CD, downloadable content available?
      You can find performances on YouTube. You really don't want the CD; just mediocre midi performances with backing track - not very helpful.

Yamaha P-155

#2218898 - 01/22/14 03:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Hitry Plan]
        scorpio Online   content

In fact, this is where I would go: http://www.youtube.com/user/sydnal?feature=watch

Yamaha P-155

#2218922 - 01/22/14 03:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: scorpio]
          Hitry Plan Offline

scorpio, thanks

#2233204 - 02/17/14 02:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          Ohio_Mark Offline

Working on the last 4 pieces of the book:
          Love's Greeting
          The Marriage of Figaro
          Danny Boy
          Canon in D

Canon in D I've been working for a few weeks and it's getting close. The other 3 are pretty rough right now. Probably will take me at least one more week. Also, working on Wild Honeysuckle Rag from the Marth Mier Jazz, Rags and Blues series.

#2233264 - 02/17/14 03:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          earlofmar Offline
          1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
          getting to the end how exciting - well done for sticking through it

#2233309 - 02/17/14 05:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          malkin Online   content
          2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
          Way to go Ohio Mark!
          Are you heading to Alfred 3 or are you branching out?

#2233708 - 02/18/14 12:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: malkin]
          Ohio_Mark Offline

I do have book 3 and that is my current plan. I have a couple other books also that I am using to add supplemental pieces. I have all 5 books of the Martha Mier Jazz, Rags and Blues and I am halfway through book 2. I also just purchased books 3-6 of the Masterwork Classics series but haven't started them yet.

That being said I am contemplating changing teachers so if I do that could certainly impact my choices.

#2239836 - 03/01/14 11:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Hitry Plan]
          Xiao Qin Offline

Loc: Auburn, AL
          Hitry: You can find many good sample videos on YouTube. Here is a recommended YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Darkboy2525

Xiao

#2239841 - 03/01/14 11:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: malkin]
          Xiao Qin Offline

Malkin: I plan to head to Alfred 3 when I complete Alfred 2. Xiao

#2239851 - 03/02/14 12:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: paul1971]
          Xiao Qin Offline

Paul: Welcome to the Alfred's piano family. You are a fast learner. It took me more than 13 months to finish Alfred's book 1. Xiao

#2244086 - 03/10/14 07:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          sydnal Offline

Hi all, just wanted to check out how everyone is doing with book 2. I wasn't able to practice or log in to the forums for a while and my progress completely halted. I sat at the piano first time yesterday after a long break and it was a mess :S I am hoping to get back into track sometime soon, good luck to everyone in their practices.

#2244500 - 03/10/14 10:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          ajames Offline

Loc: Texas
          Hi Syndal, hope it doesn't take long for you to get back to where you were. I'm plugging away, I've reached the Latin section, working on La Bamba and La Raspa. Not exactly loving every piece in the book, but it is tolerable so far. Some are quite nice, like Joplin's "Solace" theme.

#2244547 - 03/11/14 02:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          earlofmar Offline
          1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
          bad luck there sydnal you were on such a roll. However nothing is lost all will come back with practice.

#2247543 - 03/16/14 04:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
          Xiao Qin Offline

Hi, Sydnal:

I spend approximately one hour to practice every day. Last week was our spring break; I broke a record by spending two hours per day on the piano. This Summer season is difficult for me, because I will not have access to my piano during a business trip for two months.

Xiao

#2247545 - 03/16/14 04:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: ajames]
          Xiao Qin Offline

ajames:

I dislike some of the pieces in Alfred's book 2. I simply force myself to learn and practice every single piece in the book.

Xiao

#2247547 - 03/16/14 04:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          Xiao Qin Offline

What can you expect after spending over 700 hours on the piano?

Two years ago, it was unclear to me whether I could teach myself to play the piano after spending many hours playing it. Now, I have personally spent over 700 hours playing my Yamaha P-22 since Feb. 2012. I'd like to take this chance to share with you what pieces I expect to play after keep practicing for 700 hours. If you have a piano teacher, you will learn piano a whole lot faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SsWdn9lq...sZQ&index=2

I am fortunate to have a few YouTube friends who have consistently advised, supported, and encouraged me during my "self-teaching piano" journey. These friends are Huy Tran, Rick Misterly, Ed Jensen, Justin Vidad-Menezes, Mae Leong, Le Piano Academy, Dr. Mario Ajero, Shy G, Wilson Asshur, Sydnal, Sylvain Guinet, and Peder Helland. Without the constructive guidance and supports from these YouTube friends, this piano channel would not have been possible.

#2249283 - 03/20/14 05:56 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          compianist1 Offline

Loc: Banned
          ALFRED? I AGREE

#2249355 - 03/20/14 08:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          Ohio_Mark Offline

Finished this book Wednesday. Played 3 of the last 4 pieces in my lesson - Love's Greeting, Danny Boy and the Canon in D arrangement.

Starting on the first 3 pieces in Book 3. Looking forward to learning Fandango and later in the year Jazz Ostinato in C# minor.

Plan on playing the Canon in D arrangement in a recital in June and probably one other piece TBD.

#2249551 - 03/20/14 04:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
          ajames Offline

Loc: Texas
          Ohio Mark, congrats on finishing book #2! I think that's a great accomplishment. Finishing is still a long ways off for me, I'm thinking maybe around the end of the year. Trying to enjoy the journey...
          Do you have any favorites? Anything that you kept playing even after you moved on?

Xiao Qin, Also congrats on your 2 year anniversary! Your playing sounds great to me. Hope you keep at it. Unfortunately, this thread isn't as active as it once was, but maybe if we keep posting, some others will join in.

#2249901 - 03/21/14 10:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: ajames]
          Ohio_Mark Offline

Off the top of my head some that I remember enjoying:
          Guantanamera, Black Forest Polka, Deep River, Loch Lomond, Black is the Color.

Probably the only one I'll keep in my repertoire is the Canon in D arrangement - until the recital.

On to book 3!

Page 99 of 100 < 1 2 ... 97 98 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
          What's Hot!!
          HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
          -------------------
          Sharing is Caring!
          About the Buttons
          -------------------
          Forums Rules & Help
          -------------------
          ADVERTISE
          on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
          -------------------
          PIANO BOOKS
          Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
          (125ad) Dampp Chaser
          Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
          Sheet Music
          (PW is an affiliate)
          Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
          Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
          sheet music search
          sheet music search

sheet music search
          (ad) HAILUN Pianos
          Hailun Pianos - Click for More
          (ad) Lindeblad Piano
          Lindeblad Piano Restoration
          Who's Online
          154 registered (accordeur, Adypiano, A Guy, 44 invisible), 1748 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
          Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
          Forum Stats
          74223 Members
          42 Forums
          153547 Topics
          2250315 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
          New Topics - Multiple Forums
          Questions about Chopin Nocturne Op. 27 No. 2 in D Flat Minor
          by noobpianist90
          04/18/14 01:51 PM
          A new performance experience... Need advice.
          by Svenno
          04/18/14 01:46 PM
          Thoughts on the Yamaha P-255
          by voxpops
          04/18/14 01:17 PM
          Piano Learning Myths...
          by evamar
          04/18/14 12:32 PM
          Yamaha U3FS
          by Piotr Dydycz
          04/18/14 10:34 AM
          (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
          | Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
          | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
          | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
          No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission