Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 98 of 101 < 1 2 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 >
Topic Options
#2185465 - 11/20/13 01:32 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

Thank you mom3gram and Johnny D.

@Ohio Mark:
Nice, you are close to the end of the book.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2186154 - 11/21/13 07:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
Johnny D Offline

Loc: Brazil
I've been trying to polish up Light & Blue while working on a few other pieces from Masterworks and Suzuki.

Light & Blue sounds pretty good, but I still can't manage to get through it without making a mistake. Last night I was 3/4 through it and it hit me that I hadn't made a mistake yet. Sure enough, the mistake came soon thereafter frown It always seem to happen like that - you lose your concentration or think too much on something and you make a mistake.

Anyhow, I probably should have moved on to Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 by now, but when I started playing the first line a couple of weeks ago, I guess I didn't really find the way it sounded too appealing. Maybe it's the arrangement. Those left hand chords don't seem to go so well in it.
Masterwork Classics 3
Alfred's Level 2

#2187879 - 11/25/13 02:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

@Johnny D

Imho light and blue is harder than it looks and sounds. My particular problem was doing thumb unders in the swingy playing style (long-short-long-short etc.). When the thumb under falls to the short beat it is difficult to execute.

I have moved on from La Bamba, this is as good as it's going to get:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0L6aPuejMo

Probably the hardest piece in the book so far, I couldn't play it error-free how many times I tried, so I chose a relatively acceptable one. In this one I seem to have played the G note in the left hand (in the bridge section) half of its original value. Oh well..

#2187911 - 11/25/13 05:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
earlofmar Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
well done sydnal, despite minor errors you have persevered to get it to an acceptable standard that not many achieve including myself.

#2187941 - 11/25/13 07:55 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
pwl Offline

Loc: Bay Area CA
sydnal, I enjoyed your La Bamba a lot - well done!

#2187951 - 11/25/13 08:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
sydnal Offline

Thank you earlofmar and pwl. Next two pieces "La Raspa" and "For He is a Jolly Good Fellow" are relatively easy, the next heavy hitter seems to be "Mexican Hat Dance". Hopefully I will be done with the infamous Latin tunes section of the book soon, hopefully..

#2187965 - 11/25/13 09:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Fantastic "La Bamba"! Certainly better than I ever managed. Yes, having all those Mexican ones in a row was a bit annoying, luckily they weren't all as challenging as "La Bamba". There are some nice pieces coming up soon.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#2187998 - 11/25/13 10:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
scorpio Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Connecticut, USA
sydnal, well done! I love your perseverance.

Yamaha P-155

#2188010 - 11/25/13 10:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    sydnal Offline

Thank you mom3gram and scorpio. Your encouragement is certainly one of the factors that help me persevere.

#2192775 - 12/05/13 02:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    sydnal Offline

Hi again all, I am finally finished with the Latin tunes section! (loud fanfare here)

After my last update which was La Bamba, I recorded La Raspa, For He's a Jolly Good Fellow, Mexican Hat Dance and Tarantella this past week. The hardest one was Mexican Hat Dance, though I was already working on these pieces while I was stuck on La Bamba so it did not take as long as I thought.

La Raspa: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9drFebIMXDc
    For He's a Jolly Good Fallow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGAvW9t8aTw
    Mexican Hat Dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ieodVK2cc
    Tarantella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2MqnogqRrw

(Now that I listen again, I don't think I did good with this pieces, I was in a hurry for some progress after the La Bamba frustration)

The next 3 pieces "Village Dance", "Scherzo" and "Introduction and Dance" seem to be hard and long so I guess I will be working on them quite a while and progress will slow once again. (Also incredibly busy at work, there are days that I come home at 23:00+ go to bed directly without touching the piano :S)

At this point, it seems like no one is updating or following this thread and it's sort of embarrassing to use it as my personal diary, so I guess I will take a break from posting until there are other contributors. Best of luck to all threadies!

Edited by sydnal (12/05/13 02:49 AM)

#2192787 - 12/05/13 03:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
    Moonraker Offline

Loc: Wales, UK
    Well, I'm listening to you, sydnal. Congratulations on getting through the Latin pieces, especially La Bamba. You're quite right - the upcoming pieces are quite challenging but you'll get through them. They're quite satisfying pieces, too.
    Keep going!

Edited by Moonraker (12/05/13 04:00 AM)

#2192801 - 12/05/13 05:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
    earlofmar Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: sydnal

At this point, it seems like no one is updating or following this thread and it's sort of embarrassing to use it as my personal diary, so I guess I will take a break from posting until there are other contributors. Best of luck to all threadies!

Currently taking a week away from my beloved piano while I attend Australia's longest foot race (240km) as a crew member. So just popped in long enough to say keep up the good work sydnal and do keep posting. Many of us love to hear the progress of others and I wish more would post too. But by posting you may be helping others in ways you do not know. Certainly it stands as a personal and historical record for everyone to share. All the best.

#2192832 - 12/05/13 08:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    tangleweeds Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012

Loc: Portlandia
    Syndal, I appreciate your recordings and commentary. And I'm sure that posterity will too. laugh I'm not really joking. Don't underestimate many people pass through these mega-threads over the years, looking for landmarks and benchmarks to gauge their progress (or apparent lack thereof).

neglected piano blog

#2192851 - 12/05/13 09:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    mom3gram Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Keep posting, syndal, and in my opinion, the next three pieces weren't anywhere near as difficult as the ones you've just recorded.

#2192866 - 12/05/13 09:49 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    sydnal Offline

Thanks all once again for the encouragement, I will keep updating with my progress.

#2193026 - 12/05/13 03:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    paul1971 Offline

Hi everyone this is my first post as am New here and also to piano. Got myself a Yamaha p105 about a month ago and am currently working through Alfreds all in one book one. Managed blow the man down quite quickly but lullaby took a while, I think because it uses three chords rather than two, next step is on top of old smoky which has the broken chords which seems rather more difficult. Am also working from Carol barratts 'classic piano course' book one. Anyway hi to you all.

#2193269 - 12/06/13 01:15 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    sydnal Offline

Hi paul1971 and welcome. Alfred's Adult series seems to be quite popular around here, I had started it after finding this forum and seeing the Alfred Book threads. The Book 1 thread is here and it's more active: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1070137. You may want to check it out and introduce yourself there too, best of luck.

#2194385 - 12/08/13 05:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    earlofmar Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

Hi paul1971, welcome to the forum and hopefully to a long and happy time learning the piano. Great to hear your making good progress and we are always happy to listen and watch any recordings should you wish to submit them. Even if you don't post I think recording yourself at this stage is such a good idea for further down the track you might feel your haven't progressed, or just as a bit of a diary of where you were back when.

#2198325 - 12/16/13 02:42 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    sydnal Offline

Hi all; I have some new progress to report. Finished recording Festive Dance and Scherzo yesterday.

One thing I noticed about the pieces in current pages is that they move to the chords of relative key a lot. (F since the are Dm) Up until this point the left hand would usually play I-IV-V of a single key and the odd chord/run once in a while. These chord changes also result in jumps with both hands (which is hard to execute). I think learning to feel some intervals (like octaves) without looking at ones hands would benefit here, because it's not possible to look at every note for both hands in a jump. Not there yet.

Festive Dance: (Messed up getting faster gradually)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul6OZXNo1kc

Scherzo: (lots of jumps)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzLaaWJzkPk

It's heck at work because of the years end, I can barely get 30-40 minutes of daily practice before I sleep, that's if I'm lucky. So progress will probably go slow till the end of the month. I have memorized Introduction and Dance and Streets of Laredo though and may be able to polish and record them soon.

Good luck to everyone in their practice.

#2198520 - 12/16/13 12:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    Ohio_Mark Offline

syndal, nice work on the dynamic and tempo changes in Scherzo.

I received a pass from my teacher on "He's Got the Whole World".
    I found that one to be one of the more challenging pieces.
    Left/Right independence is tested in this one.

Working on Ballin' the Jack (Week 3), La Donna e Mobile, Frankie and Johnny (week 2).
    I have no lessons for the next 3 weeks so I will add "Black is the Color" at some point also - it seems like a nice and easy slower piece (whew).

#2198967 - 12/17/13 05:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    sydnal Offline

Thank you Ohio_Mark. You seem to be advancing in a really good speed, considering the pieces around those pages are probably a lot harder than the beginning.

#2199297 - 12/17/13 05:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    earlofmar Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

As always nice playing sydnal you are making such good progress, seems like yesterday you were just finishing book 1.

Jumps are a bit scary at first and I have read good keyboard orientation isn't something that just happens overnight. People have often advised playing in the dark once in a while to help develop this skill.

#2205228 - 12/30/13 07:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: earlofmar]
    Alux Offline

Loc: Perth, Australia (Originally f...
    Happy new year everyone :-)
    Alfred's Adult All-In-One Level 1 Graduate

#2206862 - 01/02/14 12:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    Daniel Corban Offline

Loc: Canada
    I'm still working my way through this book. I find that as I progress, I start straying from the book. My teacher suggested I start working on scales, so I acquired a scale book and practice whatever scales my current pieces in Alfred's use.

I'm currently up to Rock-a My Soul, but I feel I skimmed past quite a bit (at the instruction of my teacher). Lately, I have been going back and reworking pieces that I didn't feel were up to par. In particular, the videos posted here of the Latin pieces inspired me to revisit those. I had played them until I got "the point", then moved on.

Guantanamera is the first piece I felt required and effort. I had never heard the song, so I had to do some research. I still practice it, and still feel my pedalling if off a bit.

Speaking of pedalling, the last three pieces really seem to focus on it. House of the Rising Sun, Sakura, and Waves of Danube all require fairly precise pedalling to not sound muddy or discordant. This is certainly one aspect I would have not improved upon without a teacher to observe and correct. I would have kept going with poor pedalling.

I feel I am progressing into more technical play as I go. It's no longer just about pressing the correct keys with the correct timing. It's about knowing the key signature and how the notes form chords across both staves and work together to create a pleasing sound.

#2207339 - 01/03/14 08:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    sydnal Offline

@Alux and everyone
    Happy new years!

@Daniel
    "I find that as I progress, I start straying from the book."
    The same happened to me in the last few weeks. Although I had championed following the book strictly in the past, I just couldn't resist dabbling with some other pieces, one such piece I am working on is Petzold/Bach Minuet in G. Well, all I can say is it's different rather than difficult. There is nothing very hard in either hand but combining them together was a mess. Got better over time but I am still struggling with ornaments and playing the whole thing without mistakes.

Also I had hit a roadblock with Alfred's, realized my left hand is severely lacking. I just couldn't manage the left hand scale run smooth in Introduction and Dance and decided to give a break. Pieces like minuet help since they have a busier left hand. I feel I have improved somewhat and will attempt Introduction and Dance again soon.
    Good luck to everyone in their practice.

#2207348 - 01/03/14 09:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
    mom3gram Offline
    1000 Post Club Member

I "strayed" from the book about a year ago (I think I left off after Divertimento), although I have dipped into it recently to learn "Fascination", which was a piece that I loved back in 8th grade (1958??). I still think this series is great for learning the basics, and I hope to finish at least Book 2 eventually.

Syndal, good luck with Minuet in G. I learned the first section (the one everyone knows) a while back. I also felt that my left hand was weak. I'm working with the Masterwork Classics series now, and the first Snell book, in addition some of the pieces from Alfred's "Pop Songbook" and "Greatest Hits" for fun.

#2207351 - 01/03/14 09:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: sydnal]
    scorpio Offline
    500 Post Club Member

Petzold/Bach Minuet in G. Well, all I can say is it's different rather than difficult. There is nothing very hard in either hand but combining them together was a mess.
    Haha. I said the same thing to my teacher. His reply, "that's Bach for you."

with Alfred's, realized my left hand is severely lacking.
    That is why my teacher had me leave Alfred's. I have been working through Suzuki, and that has been a struggle but fun. (well, it was fun until I saw a 6 year old play the entire book, from start to finish, without flaws!)

I have also been working on some pieces in the Masterwork Classics series. In fact, I have been wanting to start a similar thread to this one for both Suzuki and the Masterwork series.

Yamaha P-155

#2207508 - 01/03/14 02:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: scorpio]
      Ohio_Mark Offline

scorpio - what book are you using from the Masterworks Classics series. I had been looking for something to supplement to Afred books. I am currently playing from Alfred's Jazz Rags and Blues Book 2 which is good but does not have any classical pieces.

I am currently up to "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" and "Waltz in G Minor" from Alfred 2. On the home stretch only 8 more after these 2.

#2207514 - 01/03/14 02:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
      JimF Offline
      1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
      Syndal,

Originally Posted By: Syndal
      There is nothing very hard in either hand but combining them together was a mess. Got better over time but I am still struggling with ornaments and playing the whole thing without mistakes.

Almost everyone is that way with their first Bach (or really any polyphonic piece). The good news is it gets a little easier with each new Bach piece you work on, so don't be discouraged. By the third or fourth one you still won't find it easy, but you will know what you have to do to keep it from being "a mess".

Estonia L190 #7284

#2207539 - 01/03/14 03:18 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Ohio_Mark]
      scorpio Offline
      500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ohio_Mark
      scorpio - what book are you using from the Masterworks Classics series.
      I am using the Level 3 book. This is a secondary book for me. I have three books that I am working out of with my teacher, and they take priority.

For what it is worth, I have changed (from my Alfred Book 1 days) how I go about each piece. I no longer "polish" before I move on. Once I have the skill down, my teacher moves me on to the next piece/skill. But I continue to work and marinate the pieces to get them up to speed and get them to sound musical. As a result I have not recorded anything since August. In any case it seems to be working out.

Yamaha P-155

Page 98 of 101 < 1 2 ... 96 97 98 99 100 101 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
        What's Hot!!
        HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
        -------------------
        Sharing is Caring!
        About the Buttons
        -------------------
        Forums Rules & Help
        -------------------
        ADVERTISE
        on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
        (ad) HAILUN Pianos
        Hailun Pianos - Click for More
        Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
        Knabe Pianos
        Sheet Music
        (PW is an affiliate)
        Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
        (125ad) Dampp Chaser
        Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
        (ad) Lindeblad Piano
        Lindeblad Piano Restoration
        Who's Online
        153 registered (ajames, *windowlicker*, 36251, Anne'sson, ando, 45 invisible), 1656 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
        Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
        Forum Stats
        75885 Members
        42 Forums
        156805 Topics
        2304047 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
        New Topics - Multiple Forums
        Jazz Keyboard Harmony by Phil DeGreg
        by bagatelle
        08/20/14 12:25 PM
        Record and Playback to-and-from Disklavier DKC55?
        by dhilderbrand
        08/20/14 12:12 PM
        Looking for an Android App....
        by Ohio_Mark
        08/20/14 09:17 AM
        Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
        by kobethuy
        08/20/14 02:00 AM
        Jazz"y" improvisation/cover issues
        by kobethuy
        08/20/14 01:33 AM
        (ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
        Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
        Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
        |
        Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
        | Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
        | |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
        No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission