2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 55 of 190 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 189 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK I think I've got it down good enough to try a recording, will attempt that over the weekend. Still have to really "learn" the Circle of Fiths but this basically puts me at the end of book #2 [Linked Image]

Will have to wait till Thursday next week to get the "pass" from teach and if so she'll be signing my cert. Then I'll be taking a break from Alfred (1-2wks) whilst I look at some other songs and then move straight on into #3 [Linked Image]

Of course I'm expecting #3 to take a 1yr but who knows, we'll have to see how things progress

thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
wj3 Offline
Congrats TTigg.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats TTigg!!!

Sounds like a great plan. smile

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm back. Thanks Key Notes and Undone regarding The Magic Piper and M's Waltz.

I'm glad you gave us an update Wj3. Gauntamanera will take a bit longer than the previous two but I'm sure you'll knock it out in no time.

Ttigg. . . You finished Canon in D? CONGRATS! That's just great( but I hate to see you leave the Book 2 thread behind).

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
I'm back. Thanks Key Notes and Undone regarding The Magic Piper and M's Waltz.

I'm glad you gave us an update Wj3. Gauntamanera will take a bit longer than the previous two but I'm sure you'll knock it out in no time.

Ttigg. . . You finished Canon in D? CONGRATS! That's just great( but I hate to see you leave the Book 2 thread behind).

[Linked Image] I'm still going to try to get a nice recording done upstairs on the digital and video (hopefully) so I can post it. Was a struggle at first and then it kind of "clicked".

I'm going to try the proper version I have sheet music for later on but wanted to get the proper "book version" done so I can post that up first..

Yeah I'll be sad to leave #2 but you guys won't be far behind me into #3 so we can hang out again [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ha, I'm a bit behind you and Undone, but I'll eventually make it smile

How many days and hours do you think it took to learn the book Canon in D?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ha, I'm a bit behind you and Undone, but I'll eventually make it smile
How many days and hours do you think it took to learn the book Canon in D?

Not sure about exactly how many hours but I kind of measure it between my lessons. I would prob estimate 8hrs or so spread over the week. So just over 1wk (approx 8.5days. I had my lesson Thursday and we went through the 2nd half and by the next day I had it down (well we'll see how the recording comes out) thumb

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Hey Gang, I finally managed to give myself a pass on “Danny Boy”. I added “Canon in D” to the mix a few days ago and at this point I must say that I think Danny Boy may be the more challenging of the two (when it comes to getting a decent recording). “Canon” may be a bit more technically challenging as far as some of the fingering goes, but at least it keeps a steady bass line and the dynamics are changing regularly. “Danny Boy”, on the other hand, keeps you on your toes as things change up every couple of measures. Of course it’s really too early for me to tell yet, and I may have an entirely different story to tell once I get to the recording phase of Canon.

Here’s my recording of “Danny Boy”: http://www.box.net/shared/krrlksen7c (and yes, there is a sour note in there)

Tigg – I too will be working on the book version of “Cannon in D”, but I’d if you get the chance, I’d still like know who did the sheet music that you have on reserve. I too would like to try a version that is a bit closer to the orchestral arrangement after the book version without having to resort to the refrain from the Beatles “In My Life” (although that too might be fun to try at some point). Am I the only one that hears “Canon in D” in the refrain of “In My Life”? I tried doing an internet search on this, but didn’t come up with much.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Way to go on Danny Boy Undone!

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Undone

Tigg – I too will be working on the book version of “Cannon in D”, but I’d if you get the chance, I’d still like know who did the sheet music that you have on reserve.
Undone

Nicely done on Danny Boy! thumb. Well this weekend kind of got away from me in terms of "recording time". I'll knock out a recording tomorrow afternoon when I get home form work. I'll also look up the sheet music I have for the "other version" and I'd hope to be able to get that learned & memorized during the week (evenings and mornings) so I can get a recording down by Wednesday.

Sounds like we'll be moving over to #3 about the same time smile

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Undone,

Wonderful progress and recording of "Danny Boy". Thanks for sharing your experiences and current observations and feelings regarding the technical differences between Danny Boy and Canon in D. Very interesting to know indeed.

As for me, I'm getting tired of practicing my old pieces, including Morning Has Broken and its alternative broken chords examples. Although I've gotten them down pretty good, I kept wanting to make them even better. Well...dare I say "perfect"? grin But I've decided that that's never going to happen, so I'm going to move on to Alexander's Ragtime Band now. Wish me luck!

Key Notes smile

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Undone - nice version of "Danny Boy" - very well played from a technical standpoint - very accurate as per the sheet music - this is an arrangement that is easy to play badly and a little challenging to play well, and you've accomplished that with your precision.

However, with time and lots of practice and experience will eventually come that special skill that adds a very personal touch to the interpretation of a piece in terms of unique musicality - the choices of and changes to tempo and phrasing and dynamics, and the uninhibited expression of one's deepest feelings about the piece, that give music is ultimate color and appeal and identify a given version as that of a true artist. It's important to keep working on this aspect of performance in order to bring the music to the full life it demands and requires.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello everyone,

I passed He's Got the Whole World in His Hands last night. I've played it a few times without error today and I made a recording after. However, I am having trouble with youtube and my computer right now but hopefully I'll get it up there this afternoon.

It was a tough thing to play, for me. While it certainly took less time to learn than the Etude, I feel this has been the most challenging piece in the book thus far for certain reasons:
1. The left hand, and my certainly weaker hand, plays melody and is constantly jumping around with little respite.
2. The right hand chords require the use of the thumb for the B flat. Also, there are quick chord shifts (both containing B flat). For the, the combination of those features makes the transition shaky.
3. The left is playing eighth notes long-short. My RH can sound awkward at times with this pace.
4. Most significantly, however, It's just a very busy piece with many quick transitions and few breaks between. Add 1-3 with that and it's hard.
5. I suck at piano.

On to "Ballin' the Jack". The title, wtf; but the piece appears thus far to be much easier that HGTHWIHH.

Most Sincerely,

W

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My rendition of "He's Got the Whole World in His Hands" :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrHBvonlExc

[Linked Image]
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on “Danny Body”.

Waltz – You’re recording of “He’s got the…” sounds great! I remember having a tuff time with that one for many of the reasons you made not of. There will be more like this. smile

Undone

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

On to "Ballin' the Jack". The title, wtf;

W

Waltz - Ballin' the Jack is the name of a rather funky, somewhat risque dance very popular in the 1920s, but I'm not sure what it means exactly (perhaps like the term "rock 'n roll" it has to do originally with intimate physical activity of one sort or another grin ).

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Undone laugh . I hate to hear there will be more like this. Today, sadly, I was playing He's got the... worse than I had been yesterday. It takes, for me, much concentration to prevent the piece from falling to pieces (oh lord! not a pun). I've really had a bad time with it today in my two practices, although yesterday it went relatively well. . . Feels bad (opposite of progress).

Thanks for the information JF. I remember hearing that you really liked this one.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Undone laugh . Today, sadly, I was playing He's got the... worse than I had been yesterday. It takes, for me, much concentration to prevent the piece from falling to pieces (oh lord! not a pun). I've really had a bad time with it today in my two practices, although yesterday it went relatively well. . . Feels bad (opposite of progress).

Hi Waltz,

I had similar experiences last night, although I wouldn't say that I was regressing as much as not improving as fast as I would like. But today is another day, as well as tomorrow...

Cheers, smile

Day’s like that just happen from time to time. Sometimes I think it’s because I have something “in the back of my mind” that is taking some of my attention away from my playing. Other times I can’t think of any explanation for it. Fortunately it is usually “all better” the next day.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think I worked out the issue today... It just took heavy concentration regarding my LH and keeping it in proper control.

[Linked Image]
Page 55 of 190 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission