2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 116 of 190 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No, I haven't been doing physical therapy for my arm, mostly because I didn't have anyone who could drive me 3x a week. I did have a long sheet of therapy exercises from 3 years ago when I had shoulder surgery so I tried them, but they hurt too much. I'm seeing my family doc today for bloodwork, and will ask him if he thinks I need PT or if I can just do the exercises myself. It really is much better than it was even a week ago.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Glad to hear your arm is getting better mom3gram. Sounds like you're doing the right things by taking it slow and easy. Don't overdo it and hopefully you'll be good as new soon.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
Originally Posted by romolo
Another quick question...
Does anyone else feel like they have an easier time sight reading and playing with the right hand than with the left? I find it a lot easier playing the notes without looking on the treble clef than i do with the base clef. I can play the melody without looking at the piano keys but its a lot hard to do that with the right hand...am i the only one?

You're not the only one. Are you right-handed?
There may be a couple reasons. First, as some have pointed out, Alfred tends to put chords in the left hand, which might be harder to recognize and position than single notes. And there's not really a tune in the left hand. And there are more leaps.

It helps me if I identify the chords. There are basically only a few hand positions for chords, depending on the inversion. You just need to figure out where to position it on the keyboard. If you get the bottom or top note, the rest fall in place according to the inversion pattern. And in Alfred the single notes are typically just broken chords too.

I first started playing from lead-sheets, right hand notes and chord symbols, so reading the left hand as notes was a real problem for me. But later I sang bass in the choir, so I tried reading and playing the bass part from my hymnbook or choral music to practice reading the left hand. It made more "sense" when I was playing a tune I recognized.

tinman1943
Adult Learner
--Music is poetry; why print it like prose?--
mom3gram, how's your arm doing now?

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My arm is a lot better. I still encounter mild pain when I do certain things, but I can open jars, drive my car with minimal pain, and get my arm up into a t-shirt if it's loose enough. And I've been playing my piano for about 15 minutes at a time instead of only 5. I started back in Book 2, and started Festive Dance from scratch, as that is where I left off. I still can't play staccato in one hand and legato in the other very well, but I can do it if I go slow enough. I've got the first two lines down pretty well, and can "stumble through" the others. I don't think it will take too long to get it to an acceptable level. It's not one that will be a keeper though.

What piece are you up to now, and have you found any keepers?

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
I've quite playing in the book as I wasn't enjoying them. Glad your arm is doing better.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
N
N
Hello everyone!
Don't know if you remember me...I have been MIA since last Xmas about. I had just started book two, but wanted to work on Xmas songs..which I did. I had a nice array of songs for the Holidays...which hubby was glad were over. Right after the holidays, my best friend, my Mom passed away suddenly. She was in the hospital with pneumonia, and was schedued to come home the next day, and died in her sleep. Needlesss to say, this has changed my whole life.

I have been playing, although it was into February before I started again. I stayed away from the standards..and went into a book called "150 of the Most Beautiful Songs" and have been working on various songs in that book..like Moon River, When You Wish Upon a Star, Always, Look to the Rainbow. They are pretty easy, so I was just enjoying myself, playing.

I am now ready to start again on Book 2. I agree with Gracie about how boring it is...but I have all three books, and I am determined to get through it. Along with the songs I enjoy playing, it's not so bad. I'm up to La Cucharacha....what's up with all these Spanish songs???? Hey, just in time for Cinco de Mayo. Already my hubby is saying I'm driving him crazy with that song. Oh well...I want to learn my extended playing. Its good to be able to concentrate again, and I'm practicing most days.

I stopped taking lessons last fall, and am back learning on my own. I sometimes wish that I had someone to ask about what things mean on music, but I can always ask here.

Gracie..I'm sorry to see you leave our little Alfred community. Mom3--I'm sooo sorry about your hand! I hope it gets better sooner!

Anyway, I'm glad to be back. Going to be a hard weekend though--going down to Milwaukee to visit Mom's new grave.

Take care everyone..I'll be around more now!

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful Mom's here!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

N
N
Congrats Romolo!! I think everyone hated BTMD!!! THAT WAS A HORRID SONG!!! Little Brown Jug...I think Glen Miller was turning in his grave!!!

Have fun in Book 3!! CONGRATS again!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sure, I remember you, Nancymae. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. No matter how old you are it's hard to deal with losing a parent.

I'm glad that you are playing again. The 150 most beautiful songs book sounds wonderful. Is it easy to play? I'm just past the Mexican songs in Book 2. I had put it aside after Christmas, and am just now getting back to it. Other people have complained that it's too easy, but I find it hard. I went back to Book 1 for some review, went back to my Faber Adult 1, and started the Masterwork Classics 1-2. It's good to have a variety, but, like you, I'm determined to finish the AIO book 2 eventually. Welcome back.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
N
N
Hi Mom3gram!
Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, it's good to be active again and concentrate on things.

The 150 Most Beautiful Songs is considered Easy Piano. But, the arrangements are very beautiful from the ones that I have played. Some are easier than others, but not simplistic. I think at the end of Alfred 1, you should be able to play most of them. Look at Sheet Music Plus for the listening of the songs, there are so many, but most are standards, some show tunes, Disney is in there as well.

I am also working on the All Time Favorites Book and my leanings are towards the classical stuff. Their arrangements are just so pretty sounding! But I'm trying to work all the songs at some point.

I, too, have made the commitment to finish Alfred's courses. I think they have alot to offer, even though the songs are kind of tiring. For instance, the extended movement of La Cucaracha is building speed and going past a comfort zone with my right hand. So, that's a good thing IMO. So, I will keep hammering away at that. I have assigned myself two pieces a week in that book, playing with the other supplemental songs that I am working on. I have a tendency to not polish a song, but move on...which I want to stop that. My mind hasn't been on things right this year, so I'm going to start assigning songs just as if I were in instruction. We will see how that goes!

Thank you for your welcome back. I played Amazing Grace for Easter and it was nice to play. I like the jazzy arrangement of it. Good to be back!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

G
G
Hi guys!

I'm still polishing Amazing Grace from book 1, but my teacher started me in book 2. I'm all done with Down in the Valley (which sure was simple compared to the end of book 1!!) and working on Bridal Chorus now (which is a little more challenging than The Valley, but still easier than the last few book 1 pieces).

Our spring recital is this Sunday, May 15. I will be playing Moonlight Sonata, and my son will be playing the theme song from Spongebob Squarepants! Wish us luck!

Hi There everyone. Remember me?

I am just spending time catching up on all your stories, There appears to be many mixed fortunes amongst you. I hope you are all back in form now.

As for me. This time of year, and through the Summer months, my piano playing tends to "stagnate" a little as I persue my other great passion in life, cycling and other out door persuits. I do find that doing long bike mileages most evenings does not mix well with spending long hours at the piano. Hence, the only thing I do is just keep my playing "ticking over" for very short periods, by practicing my favorite songs I have come to love in Alfreds AIO and try and perfect, one or two songs in the Supplimentary book (currently God help the Outcasts - supp book 2) As for practicing scales and technical stuff, that is now on hold till September when my biking activities taper off. I attempted some scales this week and totally messed up, I tend to be too tired to concentrate on them.

This all means that I will have to put advancing to Book 3 till much later this year, as I do get rusty very quickly and need to continually re-cap on what I have covered so far.

I'm afraid My cannon has gone to pieces a little as I have not practiced it in while, So the recording may have to wait.

I will hope some of you will have caught up with me in book 2 at that time.

All the best, Summer is great.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After struggling for a few months on the Mexican pieces, and finally mastering "Festive Dance", I've been able to play slowly through "Scherzo", "Introduction and Dance", "Streets of Laredo", and "Paisir D'Amour" with minimal difficulty and will now work on polishing all four. Are these pieces actually easier than the preceeding ones, or did I suddenly and miraculously get better? Whichever it is, I'm going to have fun with these.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Congratulations on moving past the Mexican pieces!

I would agree that the next bunch are easier, especially Scherzo and Streets. Plasir D'Amour is giving me some trouble, not because it's difficult by any means, but for some reason my fingers can't seem to keep track of where they are supposed to be. It's not in any one particular spot either, it's very random. Can't figure it out but it is getting better.

I'm working on House of the Rising Sun and Sakura along with Hey Jude from a fake book. I asked my teacher if we could work on developing techniques for fake book style of playing and he was very receptive to it. That's coming along very well. Hey Jude is one of my favorite Beatles songs.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
Just finished book 1, and started book 2 over the weekend. Working on Guantanamara now. Man, I find the rhythm of this one to be a bit unnatural. This may take a while.

Casio WK-210
1963 Everett Studio (Style 14)
http://www.soundclick.com/lukeeelman
L
L
Okay, Guantanamara isn't as daunting as it looked at first. I have the first 10 measures passable, then things get a little tricky. I actaully sort of like the song though, so I don't mind putting the time into it.

Casio WK-210
L
L
Got Guantanamara under control, but that was sure a chore. I don't mind the song though so it wasn't so bad. Thankfully "Theme from Overture" is easier and after two days with it, I'm getting it passable. Should have it down by the end of the weekend.

Casio WK-210
L
L
"Theme from Overture" was pretty easy and I have that finished and am making good progress with "Light and Blue". This one seemed very hard at first glance, but it actually not that difficult to play once you get the rhythm/crossover thing down. I like how this one sounds.

Casio WK-210
G
G
Sounds like you're making great progress, Luke! I've got Guantanamara nearly finished, and started on "Theme from Overture" this week. "Overture" seems easy enough and shouldn't give me any problems, I don't think. My teacher is on vacation until the first of July...but she gave me a new supplemental piece, Pachabel's canon, that is pretty tough and four pages long, so I'll have enough to keep me busy until she returns.

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted so some of you may not remember me. I thought I would give an update. I've been working on finishing up book two and should get the "put it away" this Wednesday. I'm excited to be working on the third book in the Alfred's arc. My teacher is throwing a piece in between to work on though. Something called a Sonatina. It sounds nice when she plays it as does everything.

I hope everyone keeps moving forward. Learning the piano is definitely not something that is coming quickly or easily for me but I guess nothing worth it ever does. My biggest frustration is how far into these books you have to go before you play something that sounds like music. I think Night Song, Deep River and Cannon are my favorites from book two. Which do you consider the best songs?

I'll be looking for you in the book three room soon. I'll be the one banging my head on the keyboard.

1985 Japanese (2 pedal) Yamaha G2
Page 116 of 190 1 2 114 115 116 117 118 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission