Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 7 of 100 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#991272 - 09/20/07 04:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Yea, your probably right, but it sounds so good just a bit slower, and I bought into the "night song" mystique that says (to me) slow and kinda drifting over still night air.....

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it - but will speed it up I guess...

Can't wait to hear what your teacher says....

(ads P/S)
Sauter Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#991273 - 09/20/07 09:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by gmm1:
Yea, your probably right, but it sounds so good just a bit slower, and I bought into the "night song" mystique that says (to me) slow and kinda drifting over still night air.....

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it - but will speed it up I guess...

Can't wait to hear what your teacher says.... [/b]
Teacher played it just like the video...the Coda at the end was real slow though...

#991274 - 09/21/07 04:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
wow my night song didn't sound like that. \:\( I went back to it last night and tried to play it like she did. I'll try again in a couple years.

I cancelled class last night. My arms, and elbow joints are hurting. I'm not sure why maybe I'm playing tense, I tend to do that when I'm learning a new piece or if I have a lot on my plate.

#991275 - 09/22/07 09:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Here's my space shuttle blues, I messed up in there but oh well. he he. I'm trying to get used to relaxing when recording.

The rythym is probably all wrong, I'll find out next thursday. My teacher doesn't play the music for me ahead of time but we go through it to make sure I don't have any questions.

I'm going to work on speeding it up a bit if need be.

http://www.box.net/shared/trllc59798

#991276 - 09/22/07 11:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oxfords Gal:
Here's my space shuttle blues, I messed up in there but oh well. he he. I'm trying to get used to relaxing when recording.

The rythym is probably all wrong, I'll find out next thursday. My teacher doesn't play the music for me ahead of time but we go through it to make sure I don't have any questions.

I'm going to work on speeding it up a bit if need be.

http://www.box.net/shared/3z8kaz5914 [/b]
Sounds good to me, thats my next piece, so thanks for the demo... \:D

#991277 - 09/22/07 11:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
gmm1 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Spokane WA
Very nice Oxfords Gal. I don't know if this is good or bad, but I play it at the same tempo as your recording (although I must say you play it better).

For some reason, I did not care for this piece, and moved on to get away from it. Maybe I'll back up a little and give it a go again. It sounds better than I thought.

#991278 - 09/22/07 03:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IrishMak Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Hampshire, USA
Well, I also play Night Song at a rather slow pace- with my teacher's blessing. We tried it at several tempos and both of us liked it a bit on the slow side. Just depends on your taste and interpretation- there are endless ways to perform any piece, and any of them can be "right."

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.

#991279 - 09/28/07 05:17 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
z32 Offline

Loc: California
Hey everyone! Been trying to figure out all day how to record my songs on my laptop and upload it online(thx a lot to Oxford Gal for the help!), and I think I've finally done it. These are the latest songs I'm up to; they aren't perfect, and I know I probably messed up on the speed of it, but here ya go anyways! \:D Hope they work!

Night Song

Space Shuttle Blues

#991280 - 09/28/07 10:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by z32:
Hey everyone! Been trying to figure out all day how to record my songs on my laptop and upload it online(thx a lot to Oxford Gal for the help!), and I think I've finally done it. These are the latest songs I'm up to; they aren't perfect, and I know I probably messed up on the speed of it, but here ya go anyways! \:D Hope they work!

Night Song

Space Shuttle Blues [/b]
Wow...you nailed those...excellent!! Can I use the links to the list of songs in the opening post as a resource for everyone?

Mark...

#991281 - 09/28/07 10:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

awesome z32 I tried playing my space shuttle blues fast but my teacher told me to slow it down to a lazy blues tempo but I like it fast better!!!! but I follow her advise.

I just found out a few days ago that she was a concert pianist. My piano tuner came to the house the other day to tune my piano and asked me who my teacher was when I was raving about her and he said "she's a great pianist". I lover her so much she always hugs me when I get there and when i leave. \:D

She also corrected me on the rythym yesterday as well. \:\(

Yours is much better though. Keep up the good work. You're very talented. \:D

I loved your night song as well. wowie, makes me want to polish mine up.

mine corrected for rythym. I was playing the triplets long short and my teacher told me the triplets remain triplets but the other 8th notes were the ones you do long--short. It only took a few tries to redo the rythym.

this was on my ypg 625. I love that little digital.

http://www.box.net/shared/trllc59798

#991282 - 09/28/07 11:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hey any of you guys doing any supplementals besides alfred's method?

I'm doing solffegietto by cpe bach and I feel kind of lonely. we're not focused on alfred's as much as I would like to be.

I'm also polishing beethovens sonatina in g major first movement and we're moving into the second movement next week if I can play it the way she wants me to play it.

mark, errrrr since you be the leader /hides, how would starting a beginner only supplement page.

we can talk about what we're working on aside from alfreds and post our recordings. it would be nice to have the same peeps in this post on another thread.

#991283 - 09/28/07 01:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
pianoluvr Offline

Well, I'm at Introduction and Dance now. We're going so slowly through Alfred since it seems like we're focusing on everything except Alfred. lol So I know how you feel Oxfords girl. I have two songs in Suzuki, a song from Anna Magdalena's, a simplified version of Debussy's Reverie, and Chopin's Waltz in B minor. I actually feel a bit bad that we are not treating Alfred as seriously, but on the other hand I enjoy doing other pieces.

As a random question, how long is it taking everyone to complete Book 2?

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)

#991284 - 09/28/07 01:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

well pianoluvr it's going to take me a long time now that we don't focus on it much. I'm in the all in one adult and we only take 1 piece at a time and if there's something not right with it i do it the following week as opposed to correcting it right there and then and getting it over.

I'm going to just work extra time and do another 2 during the week and trying them out so we can move faster. Although alfred's is a bit clunky I like the method since it builds up to book 3 and it's a step ladder that's needed for me at least.

I like doing other pieces as well for variety but the solfeggietto takes up a good chunk. kids love that piece and go through it, but i'm no spring chicken \:D

#991285 - 09/28/07 06:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
z32 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark...:
Wow...you nailed those...excellent!! Can I use the links to the list of songs in the opening post as a resource for everyone?

Mark... [/b]
No problem Mark, go ahead and use the links(and any links I might post in the future) however you want.

And thanks for the comments on my two pieces everyone! Now that I know how to upload, I'll try to post more songs more often!

#991286 - 09/28/07 09:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
 Quote:

Mark... [/b]
No problem Mark, go ahead and use the links(and any links I might post in the future) however you want.

And thanks for the comments on my two pieces everyone! Now that I know how to upload, I'll try to post more songs more often! [/b]
Thanks!

And please tell me you have been playing for a long time...otherwise I'm going to be depressed. My pieces don't sound even close to yours... \:D

#991287 - 09/28/07 09:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
z32 Offline

Quote:
Thanks!

And please tell me you have been playing for a long time...otherwise I'm going to be depressed. My pieces don't sound even close to yours... \:D [/b]
Hehe, I haven't really been playing for a long time; I just picked up the piano last January and have been messing around with it up to this point. I did take a semester-long Piano class last spring, but I can't really say I got anything out of it. My teacher was foreign and had a VERY thick accent, so it was hard to understand her concepts. I pretty much just taught myself for that class, relying on my own understanding of basic piano concepts for the most part. The good thing is, the class worked out of Alfred's Book series, so it was very easy going at my own pace.

Hehe, and don't worry if your playing doesn't sound exactly like mine. Everyone has their own pace, and I actually have a habit of HAVING to be able to play a certain piece fairly well before I can proceed to the next piece. That's why it sounds decent lol. I just can't continue on if I know I'm having trouble playing the previous piece.

Hehe, let's all just keep at it!

#991288 - 09/29/07 11:37 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Oxfords Gal Offline
1000 Post Club Member

mark, don't be discouraged as z32 said everyone has their own pace.

The way I see it is some people climb the ladder fast and some take their time. We all arrive at the same destination and see the same sights and all accomplish the same goal.

People learn differently.

I remember one time hearing something really profound that stuck with me.

Student A gets all A's and receives his doctorates. Student B got all C's and got his doctorates.

Both people are excelent in their fields.

The difference between both students is Student B had to work harder but he retained the material simply because he had to work harder at it and is just as good as Student A.

Have fun in the journey. There are many student B's here and I'm one of them but I feel that someday I will be really good, it's just going to take me a tad longer so lets just have fun getting there.

#991289 - 09/29/07 02:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:

[/b]
Thanks loly...I needed that...

#991290 - 09/30/07 03:25 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
mamawatchman Offline

Loc: Ohio
 Quote:
 Quote:

[/b]
Thanks loly...I needed that... [/b]
Me, too. I've been playing for 16 months and don't begin to sound as smooth and polished as anyone I've listened to on here. I know it will come eventually. I guess it's not a race....
Char

#991291 - 09/30/07 08:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
Lovely recordings Z32. Hearing these and those posted by Mark, Oxfords Gal and others is inspiring, and a distinct improvement on the official Alfred CD. Why the publishers thought fancy recordings were more helpful than a CD which actually shows one how the pieces should be played is a mystery to me.

Good advice Oxfords Gal. The only yardstick I try to use is myself, as in "Have I improved that piece/technique/fingering etc?" I know it's subjective and if I ever acquire a teacher I suspect I will leave the first lesson feeling a little downcast. I'm definitely a Student B.

Mark, your pieces sound good to me. Are you going to link the Supplemental thread to the Alfred ones?

Currently on La Bamba, the first piece in Book 2 I have disliked. So tempted to pass it by. Tuts at self.

#991292 - 09/30/07 12:51 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sundew:
Mark, your pieces sound good to me. Are you going to link the Supplemental thread to the Alfred ones?

[/b]
Thanks for the kind words.

I will link the supplement thread to our Alfred threads. Good idea...

Mark...

#991293 - 09/30/07 09:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IamElise Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY
*cowers in a coner trying to make self as small as possible* \:\)
tell me this not the Tumbalalaika on page 6. I started that this sat'day and am nothing near this speed.
If not - does anyone have a link to it and also Light and blue.

Tenk yu

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!

#991294 - 09/30/07 09:11 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IamElise Offline

tell me this not the Tumbalalaika on page 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m86QwDtamI

I started that this sat'day and am nothing near this speed.

Tenk yu

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!

#991295 - 09/30/07 09:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IamElise:
tell me this not the Tumbalalaika on page 6.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m86QwDtamI

I started that this sat'day and am nothing near this speed.

Tenk yu [/b]
Tumbalalaika seemed just a little fast to me. But close to speed. The ending was different than the Alfred one, maybe just an add lib ending.

mark...

#991296 - 09/30/07 10:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
z32 Offline

Oooo Tumbalalaika! This is probably my favorite little piece in Book 2 so far. IamElise, don't worry if your speed isn't the same as the one posted there. I actually had problems too when I first got to this song. What I did was I just took it REAAAALLLL slow at first, making sure I got all the notes and dynamic changing correct. Once you get more comfortable with the song, then you can start increasing the tempo bit by bit, until you feel it's right!

Here's my version of the song, hope it helps you out!

Tumbalalaika

#991297 - 09/30/07 10:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
IamElise Offline

Thanks both for your comments.

z32 that was stupendous \:\)
thanks.

#991298 - 10/01/07 06:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
pianoluvr Offline

Tumbalalaika's fun! I think the CD went a tad to quickly but hey, whatever floats your boat. :)Just play it slowly a LOT and then work your way up. It's actually my favorite in the Book so far (except for this Jazz song, the name of which I keep on forgetting).

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)

#991299 - 10/01/07 11:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Sundew Offline

Loc: England
Another lovely piece z32.

Elise, don't get discouraged. I don't have that piece in my book but I had similar problems with Guantanamera and now with La Bamba. I'm working through it a couple of measures at a time and slowly building it together. I know it will take me a while, but the end result will be worth it, even though I doubt I will be up to speed. The other pieces have all had their little challenges but I was surprised how easily they came together. I think age is a bit against me,I am certainly not as mentally nimble as I used to be.

Anyone else going to post to the supplemental thread? \:D

#991300 - 10/01/07 11:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:

Here's my version of the song, hope it helps you out!

Tumbalalaika [/b]
Outstanding...I added it to the opening page...thanks!

#991301 - 10/01/07 05:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I added the opening piece in book 2 to the first post as a reference. A real short and sweet one that I can beat the red dot with... \:D

Down in the Valley
http://www.box.net/shared/cfmm6xdgsf

Mark...

Page 7 of 100 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
110 registered (accordeur, ando, Almaviva, 25 invisible), 1515 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153537 Topics
2250027 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What is the strangest thing you have found inside a piano?
by That Tooner
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Kawai vs Ritmuller
by cromax
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Considering going into debt for a Steinway grand
by joonsang
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
Best Glue for Damper Pads
by JMichaelWilson
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Went to the store and tried out lots of DPs
by lang15
Yesterday at 09:18 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission