2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 190 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Red dot got me arrrrrggghhhhh. half of Black Forest Polka

http://www.box.net/shared/v4auplz1kx

That's only half, I was on a lunch break and had to go back to work.

If anyone is interested I'll scan it for them just pm me.

Hmm Mark,It's kind of like strumming your finger on a table.

Make sure you keep your 4th finger raised, once I made a concious effort to keep it cleared the chords were cleaner.

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
Hello all. I just stumbled across this web site and I think I've found a new home!

Most of my adult life I wanted to learn to play the piano. Over the years I tried to do it on my own, but never successfully. Last year I took a tour of the Steinway factory here on Long Island (my day job is a professional cabinetmaker and I went with my woodworking guild) and found myself re-inspired. Again, I went back to the keyboard, trying to teach myself.

Then, as a Christmas gift last year, my wife gave me a gift certificate for a months worth of piano lessons. I am so grateful for her doing that because I probably wouldn't have done it on my own (sometimes us guys need our women to give us a little nudge).

What a difference the lessons made! I would say that I benefit about 30% from by teacher's guidance and the other 70% comes from having to face her once a week so I had BETTER get in enough practicing time!

Anyway it's been 11 months now and I'm loving it!!! I'm in Alfred's book 2 and am learning "Night song". What a beautiful piece.

Having read through this thread, I have to agree with many others that most of the songs are a bit lack luster. Have any of you tried Alfred's Greatest Hits Vol 2? It has some really beautiful songs. I learned "Beauty and the Beast" a couple of months ago and am now working on "Think of me" from Phantom of the opera. It's really tough, but the payoff is enormous! What a beautiful piece!

That's it for now. Look for me to be a regular here! BTW below is the link to Alfred's Greatest Hits Vol 2 on amazon.

Best,

Michael

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0739002821

[Linked Image]

At it since January 07 and LOVIN IT!!!

Check out my "HOUSE BLOG" http://amateurhousebuilder.blogspot.com/
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Michael, glad to have you join our community.

Going to check that book out, sounds scrumptious.

Welcome Michael - You have indeed found a home as I have recently found. I am in Alfred's chord approach book 2, been "playing" for 7 months. If only I had started 20 years ago after quitting guitar. Some are easy some are maddening. I had my lesson last night and am now starting a tune called Happy Holiday(not the Christmas tune) This will definitely be my most challenging piece yet, good mix of pairs of eighth notes with stacatto 2nds, 3rds & 5ths. Yipeeeee

Stop buying things you can't afford....unless of course it's a piano.
P
P
Oxfords Gal:
Nice job on your recording! I like your nice, light touch on this song. Well played!! I forgot how much I liked that one!

Michael:
A big welcome to you. It's so true about what lessons do for you! Sometimes all you need is a bit of correction and guidance and a big dose of motivation to practice! I'm really happy to hear you're enjoying yourself. "Think of Me" is one of my favorite musical theater songs -- I sang it for my group voice final waaaay back in college. :-)

Keycrazy:
Believe it or not, I feel those "what if's" too about my playing. My first instrument was flute and I concentrated on it pretty exclusively during my middle- and high-school years, only really getting into piano in college. Oh, the time I lost! But it's so great that you're playing now. So many adults don't even start because they think it's just too late.

Happy Holidays!

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Kim,I suffer from red dot and I can do better most of the time but your encouraging words mean a lot to me.

At the risk of sounding incredibly unknowledgable, what exactly is "red dot"? I've seen it used so many times but I don't think I'd be able to define it. *insert embarassed face*

On a different note, I have just started the chromatic scale. Not too bad in my opinion, although I am bothered how Alfred always starts it on the E instead of Middle C. Hehe...

Do or do not, there is no try.

CURRENT PIECES
Beethoven Sonata Op.49 No.2
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
Chopin Nocturne Op.9 No.2
Schumann Op.15 No.1 (About Strange Lands and People)
Schumann Op.15 No.7 (Traumerei)
P
P
Pianoluvr,

Remember tape recorders that had red dots right on the record button?

It's that strange phenomenon that occurs when you try to record your playing -- you see that red dot (digital or real-world) and all of a sudden, even though there might be nobody listening, your ability to play the piano seems to seep right out of your head! :-)

I think chromatic scales are fun. Call me crazy. Must be something about playing every note, in order -- it's very organized!! And they sound impressive to friends and family!!

Oxfords Gal,

So glad! My favorite mantra is: progress, not perfection. If you release your expectations of perfection, your enjoyment factor will go way, way up.

Warmly,

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Pomp and Cicumstance

Hate it. The clunk gets on my nerves mad but it's a good learning technic

I have Dark Eyes (Russian Folk Song) and an Etude by Chopin after that before swinging sevenths.

I tried to switch to the Basic Adult Course to speed it up a bit but my teacher said to lets just stick with the Adult all in One. So it's going to take me a long time to get to book 3, since she focuses more on Helen Curtis.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hey OG, were together, at least for the moment. I also am advancing very slowly through the book.

And, P&C is just not fun. I learned it well enough to play it somewhat, but I am droping it and moving on the SSevenths after the holidays. I'm just too busy with Christmas carols right now.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
I've been working on Pomp and Circumstance for a few weeks now and I'm just starting to get it. I think because there is no easy pattern in the piece makes it so difficult. I find the key for this one to me pure memorization.

also gmm1, you will like sevenths, really mellow fun piece...

Not sure if any one posted these songs....

bridal http://youtube.com/watch?v=MJ5DEalpM-8

Light and Blues http://youtube.com/watch?v=O5OaYEhA42c

I am piano noob today; I will be piano pro tomorrow.

Started Piano 7-2007.

By the way, call me Yang. smile
M
M
How's everybody doing this week? I'm done with "Battle Hymn" and am finishing up "Twelfth of Never" and beginning "Nobody knows the Trouble I've Seen". I feel like I'm starting to get the knack of the Bb scale a little bit....

Char

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Done with Pomp, weeeee I was happy to turn that page. he he

I'm doing Dark Eyes, I've always loved that type of music. It's very simple but still a very nice piece.

Have started the Hokey-Pokey. Oh, the memories. Hopefully I'll have more time to practice now that I'm on school break. smile

CURRENT PIECES
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
I
I
Happy New year to everyone! smile

...'xcuse the red dot anxiety.

Village Dance

Hokey-Pokey

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Very good Elise, you're coming along nicely. The village dance is one of my favorites.

For some reason Village Dance won't play for me, but Hokey did. Well done Elise and Happy New Year to you {and everyone} too. smile

I finished Scherzo {after a fashion - I so dislike those LH stretches}, then I decided to take a break.

That sounds very nice Elise. I enjoyed hearing it! smile

As for an update on my progress, I am working on Night Song. Much fun to get into inversions. It makes me feel as if I'm making progress! Sadly, Alfred is going on at snail's pace becuase my teacher really want to focus on other things. I've recently start Beethoven's Sonatina in G, which is taking up most of time. Has anyone played this piece and is willing to give me some tips? Thanks!

Oh, and Happy New Year everyone! All the best!

CURRENT PIECES
Fur Elise
Chopin Waltz Op.69 No.2
I
I
Thanks all for the encouraging words.
I'm loving night song and space shuttle - NOT looking forward to Farewell nor Pomp - they look hard smile .

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
Page 17 of 190 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission