Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
72 registered (ando, antony, AZ_Astro, 17 invisible), 1188 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 22 of 102 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 101 102 >
Topic Options
#991722 - 12/04/08 12:32 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by BobH:
I picked up a copy of Alfreds Basic Adult Sacred Piano Book level 2 last weekend as suggested by John Frank. I wanted something to suplement the reqular book 2.

In any case I am sure I will enjoy using this book. [/b]
Good choice Bob - some excellent pieces in there with very nice arrangements - you'll be glad you got it!

The Level 1 Sacrad book has some good stuff in it too.

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#991723 - 12/05/08 12:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
Well I'm certainly digging "Night Song" \:\) Got 3 more weeks before Xmas so I'll probably be just over 1/2 way done. I think there are 90 some pages in book 2 and as of next week I'll be up to around 50..

Looking forward to getting to "Canon D" which will probably be in Jan

Happy Holidays to the Book #2 club

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991724 - 12/07/08 05:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

Loc: Delaware
TTigg, You must not be using the AIO version of the book because it is 143 pages. You are also moving quite a bit faster then I am. I went through book 1 in seven weeks and after about ten weeks I have covered a little over a third of book 2. I do work on all the pieces but do not stay long with pieces I don't like. I switched to the AIO books because of the binding as they stay open much better on the music stand.

#991725 - 12/07/08 09:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
7 weeks on Book One? WOW. It took me about 7 months (hard to say for sure, it was on and off), but even at that pace, I thought maybe I was rushing things.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#991726 - 12/07/08 09:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
TTigg, You must not be using the AIO version of the book because it is 143 pages. You are also moving quite a bit faster then I am. I went through book 1 in seven weeks and after about ten weeks I have covered a little over a third of book 2. I do work on all the pieces but do not stay long with pieces I don't like. I switched to the AIO books because of the binding as they stay open much better on the music stand. [/b]
Yeah for books 1&2 I had the separate theory and lesson books. For book #3 AIO is the only option. I've not skipped any pieces in book #2 but like you, I don't spend ages on the ones I'm not that fond of.

Book #2 is going slower than 1 but I think that's to be expected. My recital took up a little more time than I was originally planning but it was worth it in the end.

MOYD really helps since I manage to get in an easy 1hr in the mornings and then extra time in the evenings

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991727 - 12/07/08 10:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

I returned to piano in January after a 20 year break from a year of lessons. I started with Learn and Master Piano but wanted more note reading so after 4 months switched to the materials I had saved from my year of lessons. Then I started reading the Alfred's threads here and felt a more organized format would work better. Bottom line is I began book 1 after 6 months of playing around, so I did not start out at the same place as most people here. I think shortly into book 2 I arrived at my level of competence. It seems like from here on out my progress will be measured on a different scale.

#991728 - 12/11/08 10:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
bperry Offline

I haven't been here in quite a while but I'm working on night song. And I'm still Hokey Pokeying to the point where my family is ready to throw me out. It was kind of silly at first, but I actually like it now that it's sounding good. A few days into Night Song, I'm really enjoying it.
I also started Hanon exercises a few weeks back and I like doing them and I think they're really helping my finger strength and coordination.

I liked the House of the Rising Sun a lot also but I still manage to screw it up.

I'll have to check back here more often.

#991729 - 12/12/08 08:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
 Quote:
Originally posted by bperry:
I'm still Hokey Pokeying to the point where my family is ready to throw me out. It was kind of silly at first, but I actually like it now that it's sounding good. [/b]
:D

I’ve found that to be true of a lot of the songs I don’t initially care for. After playing them for a while, I start to enjoy the act of playing them even if they’re still not the sort of thing I’d want to play for others. I try to follow through with each and every piece in the book because I figure it’s there for a reason and there is probably something I can learn from it even if I don’t immediately recognize what that “something” is.

Undone

#991730 - 12/12/08 10:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bperry:
I haven't been here in quite a while but I'm working on night song. And I'm still Hokey Pokeying to the point where my family is ready to throw me out. It was kind of silly at first, but I actually like it now that it's sounding good. A few days into Night Song, I'm really enjoying it.
I also started Hanon exercises a few weeks back and I like doing them and I think they're really helping my finger strength and coordination.

I liked the House of the Rising Sun a lot also but I still manage to screw it up.

I'll have to check back here more often. [/b]
Yeah the Hokey Pokey was a tough nut to crack. Night Song was easy for me, like to play it and will add this to my weekly "rep".

Going to polish up the Hawai one and then work on the next 2 songs for next week. Then I take a 2wk break (traveling also) so I'll pick the rest up in the new year.

Still managed to be approx 1/2 way through #2 by Xmas which was one of my original goals..

Keep playing & practicing folks, god this is way too much fun!

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991731 - 12/19/08 10:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

\:D @ Pomp & Circumstance No 1.

I mean I've got it (85%) but I just can't stop laughing when I am playing it since I'm thinking of old TV shows (Only Fools & Horses) etc where they would use (mimic) this theme for certain sketches ;\)

should be hopefully done with book # by end of January. OK wait, Canon D last song, ok maybe Feb....

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991732 - 12/19/08 10:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
blues flat 7 Offline

Loc: PA
Hi All
I am learning a little from the Alfred books, plus some other books too. I did a search here on Piano World for fake book, and found that one of the members of Piano World wrote a pretty nice lesson book, that comes with a cd. I got it, and it really looks like a nice way of adding things to learn to the methods we are in.
I am still a Level 1 Alfred, and Piano Adventures user, but I know that you level 2 guys and gals will love the things that Pete the bean teaches. I started a thread and asked him if he would help us out a little, and he said yes, and posted a free lesson that will be very helpful to everyone in the thread. Just thought I would suggest that you check it out, not trying to sell anything, but just sharing what I think is some great help for all. Oh, and how nice it is too that the guy that wrote the book, is a member right here with all of us on Piano World.
Also, while I am thinking of it, there is a link in the thread for a lot of free audios of some jazz lessons that I think is a great resource too. Pete has a link for the audio of this free lesson on there too. Thanks, and hope to see many of you on that thread. Here is the link.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7708.html

Flat 7

#991733 - 12/20/08 05:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blues flat 7:
I am still a Level 1 Alfred, and Piano Adventures user, but I know that you level 2 guys and gals will love the things that Pete the bean teaches. I started a thread and asked him if he would help us out a little, and he said yes, and posted a free lesson that will be very helpful to everyone in the thread. Just thought I would suggest that you check it out, not trying to sell anything, but just sharing what I think is some great help for all.
Flat 7 [/b]
Not trying to sell anything? Really? That would be different! So Pete the bean's book, CD and all his lessons are free then?

Regards, JF

#991734 - 12/20/08 10:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
blues flat 7 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
 Quote:
Originally posted by blues flat 7:
I am still a Level 1 Alfred, and Piano Adventures user, but I know that you level 2 guys and gals will love the things that Pete the bean teaches. I started a thread and asked him if he would help us out a little, and he said yes, and posted a free lesson that will be very helpful to everyone in the thread. Just thought I would suggest that you check it out, not trying to sell anything, but just sharing what I think is some great help for all.
Flat 7 [/b]
Not trying to sell anything? Really? That would be different! So Pete the bean's book, CD and all his lessons are free then?

Regards, JF [/b]
Hi JF
Pete did give a free lesson on the thread. I posted a longer answer to this on this thread.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7708.html

Thanks,
Flat 7

#991735 - 12/23/08 10:31 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Does anyone know if Alfred's All-In-One Book 2 is available with a CD?

Thanks!
Ang

#991736 - 12/23/08 11:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
melwig Offline

Loc: California
Yes it is available. I find it only marginally helpful. The music sounds very computer generated. The piano is usually accompanied by other instruments making it more difficult to hear the piano part. Why they do that I don't know. After all, it is a piano instruction book.

If you can achieve something without a struggle, it's not going to be satisfying.

#991737 - 12/23/08 11:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

On the CD the piano part comes from one side & the accompaniment from the other, so all you have to do is turn off one speaker to hear the piano by itself.

Regards, JF

#991738 - 12/26/08 06:21 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

I have found the pieces posted at the begining of this string to be great. I copied them to my hard drive and use them as a quick reference when I start a new piece. All of the pieces are not there but that does force me to practice counting beats once in a while. I wish the pieces from the supplementary books were available also.

#991739 - 12/30/08 07:46 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

I am currently working on the Hokey Pokey and Night Song. Hokey Pokey is one of the first songs I felt like I had to just let loose and let my fingers take over. It really made it much easier. Its funny how some songs that you really do not like can push you to the next step. I really like Night Song; it makes me feel like I am playing the piano and not just going through another learning exercise.

#991740 - 12/31/08 01:17 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
I am currently working on the Hokey Pokey and Night Song. Hokey Pokey is one of the first songs I felt like I had to just let loose and let my fingers take over. It really made it much easier. Its funny how some songs that you really do not like can push you to the next step. I really like Night Song; it makes me feel like I am playing the piano and not just going through another learning exercise. [/b]
Hi Bob...Welcome...

The Hokey Pokey drove me a little crazy, but really enjoyed Night Song.

Glad the pieces in the opening post helps you. If you or anyone else has a nice recording of any Alfread piece, let me know and we can add it to the list. Duplicates are welcome.

I especially need book one pieces.

Happy New Year

Mark...

#991741 - 01/01/09 03:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

Mark,
As I have been working through book 2 I have come across a few songs that were not included in your links. I was able to find most of these by going to Utube and typing in the name of the piece as well as Alfred's book 2. I think I found everything I was looking for. Some of the pieces were posted by people from this forum. I saved copies of the audio to my hard drive using the Audigy software that came with my computer soundcard. This method may be helpful to others looking for songs.

#991742 - 01/04/09 04:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
perceval Offline

Loc: Edinburgh
Just started with Book 2, I'm teaching myself after a long period of near inactivity. I'm using Book 2 plus simple Bach pieces to bolster my confidence again. I really like the AIO's approach of interweaving theory and practice ... makes a lot of sense to me!

#991743 - 01/04/09 05:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

I am also using the AIO but mostly purchased it due to the binding. I used the standard version of book 1 and it never sat well on the music stand. I do not spend much time on the theory portion of book 2 but have read about half of Edly's Music Theory for Practical People. It started to get more advanced then I was ready for but I will go back to it in the future.

#991744 - 01/08/09 09:13 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

OK back from holiday break & travel. Pretty much done with Pomp & Circumstance, now just gotta polish off the Seventh Blues one. Then I have my 45m lesson with teacher so we can continue on next part (step) of #2.

Since the pieces in #2 are generally longer I've noticed that unlike #1 when you do 2-3pages of theory it can easily cover 4-5 songs!

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991745 - 01/08/09 12:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

I am currently working on Olympic Procession and trying to polish up Hava Nagila. For some reason on the opening of that one my fingers run away and slip in a few perfect wrong notes. Up to this point I have not been working with a metronome. Does anyone use them and how do you know what rate to set it for with the pieces in Alfred's?

#991746 - 01/09/09 08:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
I’ve used a metronome to help me keep a steady tempo on a few pieces. As for knowing what to set it to, or knowing the intended tempo on some of the Alfred pieces in general, this is were I’ve gotten the most use out of the CD. I never use it to play along with, but I will listen to some pieces to get an idea of the tempo. I have a built in metronome on my DP and it has a “Tap” function where you set the time signature (meter) and then just tap the button in time with the music and it sets the tempo.

After saying all of that, I would think “Hava Nagila” would be a tuff one to use a metronome on due to the tempo changes.

PS: I’m currently working on “Battle Hymn of the Republlic” and “The Riddle”.

Undone

#991747 - 01/11/09 05:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

I spent my first session with the metronome yesterday working on Olympic Procession. I set the metronome to a tempo of 60 playing only the weak beats. It is funny but it changes your focus from playing the correct notes and cords to playing them on the beat. It sure points out where you are weak in the piece. I am not sure how much I often I will use the device but I can see the value.

#991748 - 01/12/09 07:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

I am simply 'g Swinging Sevenths, that is all

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991749 - 01/13/09 10:39 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TTigg:
I am simply 'g Swinging Sevenths, that is all [/b]
I agree - nice little swingin' tune - I recorded this & submitted it to a monthly piano bar not too long ago. There's also several versions of it back on page 1 of this thread.

Regards, JF

#991750 - 01/13/09 02:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
 Quote:
Originally posted by TTigg:
I am simply 'g Swinging Sevenths, that is all [/b]
I agree - nice little swingin' tune - I recorded this & submitted it to a monthly piano bar not too long ago. There's also several versions of it back on page 1 of this thread.

Regards, JF [/b]
Hmmm seems I'm playing it way faster but them it's Swinging so I figured faster... I may have to re-visit and see..

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991751 - 01/13/09 03:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
Don't forget, we can always use additional recordings for any and all Alfred pieces for the opening pages. Duplicates are welcome.

Thanks!

Mark...

Page 22 of 102 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 101 102 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A new clip of Don Pullen in action
by rintincop
12/17/14 11:03 PM
Learn a Song in 7 minutes: Carol of the Bells
by Hugh Sung
12/17/14 10:11 PM
December 2014 Holiday Piano Bar
by piano_primo_1
12/17/14 06:14 PM
The Language of Taste - Pianos, Wine ... and Birds
by PNO40
12/17/14 05:16 PM
Good Practice Amp for Roland FP7F?
by TheloniousPunk
12/17/14 04:24 PM
Forum Stats
77333 Members
42 Forums
159946 Topics
2348964 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission