2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 68 of 190 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
Nice posts 4everbeginner, you seem to know a lot about these songs in Alfred's, keep sharing.

I see you skipped to Divertimento in D. If you want to mainly focus in on learning the "nice" classical pieces that are not too difficult, I recommend giving "Night Song" a try. It is one of my favorites from the book. It teaches the first inversion, looks and sounds difficult (as is indicated), but really isn't that hard to play.

I know you are a returning player, so maybe skipping makes sense for that reason, but I would at least give each page a glance to make sure you are familiar with what is introduced, and maybe attempt certain measures which focus in on that particular skill. Alfred's really is a progressive skill building method book. But I will be the first to relate to your sentiment of not liking many of the pieces in the book.

Even way back when I had a teacher, I remember I didn't play the whole book, so I don't think it's absolutely necessary as logn as I play something from each section with some newly covered material like the introduction of a new key. My main goal with Alfred is to learn how to read music again, which I have forgotten.

Hi Waltz.

Before this I had an acoustic console piano. But I did start out on an old digital that someone gave me. It was an old Clavinova 411. I really enjoyed learning on it. It was nice to be able to control the volume or use a set of headphones. The sound quality of it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. The touch....hmmm..... I always struggle with explaining these things. Of course the digital was very even and consistent but, if memory serves, the touch was lighter and there was only limited control over dynamics. On the Kawai the touch is lighter than some pianos I played but heavier than the digital and still very even. Control of dynamics is MUCH more sensitive on the Kawai.

The pedals are completely different. When using the pedal on the Kawai I can feel that it is moving a mechanism inside the piano and therefore I can feel when it is engaged. On my Clavinova the pedal was either on or off.

This is all based on memory and I am sure there have been HUGE changes in digital pianos since then. I would not be where I am in my piano journey if I had not had that Clavinova.

I am working on America the Beautiful today and hope to have a recording to share either today or tomorrow.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by nancy_w
I should play the scale for that key a few times before starting the piece; that way you could see how the progression goes. (Hmm... I think this is a great idea - one I'll have to implement).

This is a great idea Nancy. I always have trouble remembering sharps and flats.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Mark...
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I am almost finished with Alfred's 2- just (I think) 2 more pieces and the Canon to go. Not much more than that, anyway. I found a few pieces that I liked enough to go back to them now and again, but most were in the "learn it to get the theory/technique down" category. I also have one of the supplemental books and have worked on a couple pieces from that. I don't know if my teacher will have me move on to book 3 or not. We'll see. I also usually have one or two things not in the Alfred's book to work on, so I get some diversity in my practice.
Hi IrishMak,
How long did it take to get through book two? And has the book helped you progress to a higher level overall. Just curious to see where I'll be when book two is complete.

Thanks
Mark

I am on page 28 in book 2 and doing grade 2

I told my wife I wanted a grand piano she said - no way - £500 maximum.
Here is a very crude rendition of America the Beautiful. My piano and I are still getting to know each other so my pedaling is a bit choppy and I messed up the ending but here it is. eek

http://www.box.net/shared/j91uyo0cbt

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
N
N
Originally Posted by HeirborneGroupie
Here is a very crude rendition of America the Beautiful. My piano and I are still getting to know each other so my pedaling is a bit choppy and I messed up the ending but here it is. eek

Your piano sounds beautiful; and I think you did a pretty good job on the song. I'd give myself a pass to the next song if I had it down that well smile

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Heirborne,that piano sounds good, I like it. I have an upright Yamaha U1 but I do most of my practice on the digital one for convenience. I should start hitting the U1 soon, I like the genuine sound.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HeirborneGroupie

Two thumbs up from me! Sounded nice smile

Did you improv that ending or is that how it is written? It was very expressive

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nancy, Thanks for the advice on CiD. Once the LH starts doing octaves on pgs 3 and 4, the piece becomes much, much more tricky... This one may still take quite a while

[Linked Image]
Thanks everyone smile

The ending is written that way. It was the hardest part of the whole song. I still haven't got it down perfectly.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
N
N
Nancy, Thanks for the advice on CiD. Once the LH starts doing octaves on pgs 3 and 4, the piece becomes much, much more tricky... This one may still take quite a while

Keep practicing that LH by itself. When I started it I couldn't do the octaves without struggling a lot; but now I can do them without looking most of the time. You'll get there! smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nancy_w

Keep practicing that LH by itself. When I started it I couldn't do the octaves without struggling a lot; but now I can do them without looking most of the time. You'll get there! smile

I hope so! Those 16th notes using the 4th finger on the last page... ugh! Nancy, will you be moving on to Book 3? I ordered the book two days ago since I'm aproaching the end of Book 2.

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Speaking of piano sounds, what kind of piano is used by Z32 who recorded some of L2 songs? Like here:

http://www.box.net/shared/ck0el42f7l
http://www.box.net/shared/6ooxhc30i1

I don't think my U1 sounds like that, but I will record using the U1 and see what it sounds like when recorded. Thoughts?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
MIM,

I agree with you on z32's recordings: they sound amazing, studio quality. I wondered myself how to achieve such effects, probably a combination of excellent piano playing and quality recording equipment and software. I don't really have any of those

[Linked Image]
N
N

I hope so! Those 16th notes using the 4th finger on the last page... ugh! Nancy, will you be moving on to Book 3? I ordered the book two days ago since I'm aproaching the end of Book 2.

I will be moving onto Book 3, probably in the fall. I already bought it years ago when I was almost finished working on book 1. I realized I liked the format and didn't want to have to wait to order the next one.

I'm Canon in D crazy right now - I'm working on the Dan Coates version. I just started working on page 4, then it'll need a lot of smoothing out. (And I still want to record the Alfred version too - but I need a quiet house for that, and it's difficult with 2 kids aged 5 and 7)

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Finally got it to recording quality. This song is fast! At least for me, it is fast. Although it says "moderately", the actual song on the CD is this fast. Enjoy, and critique.

Alexander's Ragtime Band

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Music-in_me
Finally got it to recording quality. This song is fast! At least for me, it is fast. Although it says "moderately", the actual song on the CD is this fast. Enjoy, and critique.

Alexander's Ragtime Band

10/10 . Very, very nice playing!

It makes me feel bad about my recordings. No matter how hard I try, I can't get them to that level of absolute quality. Once again, very nice job on Alexander's Ragtime Band smile

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
You made my day Waltz! Glad you liked it.

Now remember, I have been off of my lessons for a few years! I didn't think I could get back into the mood of playing again this quickly. Also, this piece probably took me the longest to learn out of all the pieces I have played in both books.

Nice job MIM. I really enjoyed that.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here is my rerecording of Danny Boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7SmnYSXQAo

I fixed the problems from the first and play it under much better control. As always, let me know what you think.

[Linked Image]
Page 68 of 190 1 2 66 67 68 69 70 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission