2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Craig Hair, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, 5 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 190 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 189 190
B
B
Hi All
I am learning a little from the Alfred books, plus some other books too. I did a search here on Piano World for fake book, and found that one of the members of Piano World wrote a pretty nice lesson book, that comes with a cd. I got it, and it really looks like a nice way of adding things to learn to the methods we are in.
I am still a Level 1 Alfred, and Piano Adventures user, but I know that you level 2 guys and gals will love the things that Pete the bean teaches. I started a thread and asked him if he would help us out a little, and he said yes, and posted a free lesson that will be very helpful to everyone in the thread. Just thought I would suggest that you check it out, not trying to sell anything, but just sharing what I think is some great help for all. Oh, and how nice it is too that the guy that wrote the book, is a member right here with all of us on Piano World.
Also, while I am thinking of it, there is a link in the thread for a lot of free audios of some jazz lessons that I think is a great resource too. Pete has a link for the audio of this free lesson on there too. Thanks, and hope to see many of you on that thread. Here is the link.

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7708.html

Flat 7

Dale
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by blues flat 7:
I am still a Level 1 Alfred, and Piano Adventures user, but I know that you level 2 guys and gals will love the things that Pete the bean teaches. I started a thread and asked him if he would help us out a little, and he said yes, and posted a free lesson that will be very helpful to everyone in the thread. Just thought I would suggest that you check it out, not trying to sell anything, but just sharing what I think is some great help for all.
Flat 7
Not trying to sell anything? Really? That would be different! So Pete the bean's book, CD and all his lessons are free then?

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
B
B
Originally posted by John Frank:
Originally posted by blues flat 7:
[b]I am still a Level 1 Alfred, and Piano Adventures user, but I know that you level 2 guys and gals will love the things that Pete the bean teaches. I started a thread and asked him if he would help us out a little, and he said yes, and posted a free lesson that will be very helpful to everyone in the thread. Just thought I would suggest that you check it out, not trying to sell anything, but just sharing what I think is some great help for all.
Flat 7
Not trying to sell anything? Really? That would be different! So Pete the bean's book, CD and all his lessons are free then?

Regards, JF [/b]
Hi JF
Pete did give a free lesson on the thread. I posted a longer answer to this on this thread.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/7708.html

Thanks,
Flat 7

Dale
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Does anyone know if Alfred's All-In-One Book 2 is available with a CD?

Thanks!
Ang

Yes it is available. I find it only marginally helpful. The music sounds very computer generated. The piano is usually accompanied by other instruments making it more difficult to hear the piano part. Why they do that I don't know. After all, it is a piano instruction book.

Keep it fun, and stay motivated!

If you can achieve something without a struggle, it's not going to be satisfying.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
On the CD the piano part comes from one side & the accompaniment from the other, so all you have to do is turn off one speaker to hear the piano by itself.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

B
B
I have found the pieces posted at the begining of this string to be great. I copied them to my hard drive and use them as a quick reference when I start a new piece. All of the pieces are not there but that does force me to practice counting beats once in a while. I wish the pieces from the supplementary books were available also.

B
B
I am currently working on the Hokey Pokey and Night Song. Hokey Pokey is one of the first songs I felt like I had to just let loose and let my fingers take over. It really made it much easier. Its funny how some songs that you really do not like can push you to the next step. I really like Night Song; it makes me feel like I am playing the piano and not just going through another learning exercise.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by BobH:
I am currently working on the Hokey Pokey and Night Song. Hokey Pokey is one of the first songs I felt like I had to just let loose and let my fingers take over. It really made it much easier. Its funny how some songs that you really do not like can push you to the next step. I really like Night Song; it makes me feel like I am playing the piano and not just going through another learning exercise.
Hi Bob...Welcome...

The Hokey Pokey drove me a little crazy, but really enjoyed Night Song.

Glad the pieces in the opening post helps you. If you or anyone else has a nice recording of any Alfread piece, let me know and we can add it to the list. Duplicates are welcome.

I especially need book one pieces.

Happy New Year

Mark...

B
B
Mark,
As I have been working through book 2 I have come across a few songs that were not included in your links. I was able to find most of these by going to Utube and typing in the name of the piece as well as Alfred's book 2. I think I found everything I was looking for. Some of the pieces were posted by people from this forum. I saved copies of the audio to my hard drive using the Audigy software that came with my computer soundcard. This method may be helpful to others looking for songs.

P
P
Just started with Book 2, I'm teaching myself after a long period of near inactivity. I'm using Book 2 plus simple Bach pieces to bolster my confidence again. I really like the AIO's approach of interweaving theory and practice ... makes a lot of sense to me!

B
B
I am also using the AIO but mostly purchased it due to the binding. I used the standard version of book 1 and it never sat well on the music stand. I do not spend much time on the theory portion of book 2 but have read about half of Edly's Music Theory for Practical People. It started to get more advanced then I was ready for but I will go back to it in the future.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK back from holiday break & travel. Pretty much done with Pomp & Circumstance, now just gotta polish off the Seventh Blues one. Then I have my 45m lesson with teacher so we can continue on next part (step) of #2.

Since the pieces in #2 are generally longer I've noticed that unlike #1 when you do 2-3pages of theory it can easily cover 4-5 songs!

cool

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
B
B
I am currently working on Olympic Procession and trying to polish up Hava Nagila. For some reason on the opening of that one my fingers run away and slip in a few perfect wrong notes. Up to this point I have not been working with a metronome. Does anyone use them and how do you know what rate to set it for with the pieces in Alfred's?

I’ve used a metronome to help me keep a steady tempo on a few pieces. As for knowing what to set it to, or knowing the intended tempo on some of the Alfred pieces in general, this is were I’ve gotten the most use out of the CD. I never use it to play along with, but I will listen to some pieces to get an idea of the tempo. I have a built in metronome on my DP and it has a “Tap” function where you set the time signature (meter) and then just tap the button in time with the music and it sets the tempo.

After saying all of that, I would think “Hava Nagila” would be a tuff one to use a metronome on due to the tempo changes.

PS: I’m currently working on “Battle Hymn of the Republlic” and “The Riddle”.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
B
I spent my first session with the metronome yesterday working on Olympic Procession. I set the metronome to a tempo of 60 playing only the weak beats. It is funny but it changes your focus from playing the correct notes and cords to playing them on the beat. It sure points out where you are weak in the piece. I am not sure how much I often I will use the device but I can see the value.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I am simply [Linked Image]'g Swinging Sevenths, that is all thumb

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TTigg:
I am simply [Linked Image]'g Swinging Sevenths, that is all thumb
I agree - nice little swingin' tune - I recorded this & submitted it to a monthly piano bar not too long ago. There's also several versions of it back on page 1 of this thread.

Regards, JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by John Frank:
Originally posted by TTigg:
[b] I am simply [Linked Image]'g Swinging Sevenths, that is all thumb
I agree - nice little swingin' tune - I recorded this & submitted it to a monthly piano bar not too long ago. There's also several versions of it back on page 1 of this thread.

Regards, JF [/b]
Hmmm seems I'm playing it way faster [Linked Image] but them it's Swinging so I figured faster... I may have to re-visit and see..

cool

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Don't forget, we can always use additional recordings for any and all Alfred pieces for the opening pages. Duplicates are welcome.

Thanks!

Mark...

Page 33 of 190 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission