Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 23 of 101 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 100 101 >
Topic Options
#991752 - 01/13/09 09:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mark...:
Don't forget, we can always use additional recordings for any and all Alfred pieces for the opening pages. Duplicates are welcome.

Thanks!

Mark... [/b]
Thanks Mark, nothing like some added pressure to make recordings \:D

My You Tube | My Box.net

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#991753 - 01/14/09 07:33 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
 Quote:
Originally posted by TTigg:
 Quote:
Don't forget, we can always use additional recordings for any and all Alfred pieces for the opening pages. Duplicates are welcome.

Thanks!

Mark... [/b]
Thanks Mark, nothing like some added pressure to make recordings \:D [/b]
I'm just trying to make you guys famous... \:D

#991754 - 01/14/09 08:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
 Quote:

Thanks!

Mark... [/b]
Mark, how would you prefer that we go about providing such recordings? A post to the thread with a BoxNet link, a PM to you, or some other way?

Undone

#991755 - 01/14/09 03:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Undone:
 Quote:

Thanks!

Mark... [/b]
Mark, how would you prefer that we go about providing such recordings? A post to the thread with a BoxNet link, a PM to you, or some other way?

Undone [/b]
You can post it here (With box.net),so everyone can check it out. And then I can link it in the opening page.

Thanks!

#991756 - 01/16/09 03:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

America So Beautiful is going to take some time....

Mainly due to not being born, raised and having this nice tune drilled into memory over the years..

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991757 - 01/17/09 10:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Happy anniversary to me![/b] It was one year ago yesterday that I started re-learning the piano with Alfred’s All-In-One Book 1 page 1. I had taken a few of years of lessons as a child, was active in many musical pursuits all through my school years, I knew how to read music, and had continued to tinker with the piano now and again through out my life. So I was able to move fairly swiftly through much of book 1.

I eventually caught up with, and then surpassed, where my previous lessons and experience had taken me. Things continue to progress at a much slower rate now. Today I’m working on “The Magic Piper” and “He’s got the Whole World in His Hands”.

To celebrate this anniversary, and in response to Mark’s posting, I’m submitting these recordings to help fill in the blanks on our list of Book 2 pieces. I try to get a recording of each piece before I proceed on, so these recordings are ones that were done at the time I was working on them and are not new recording of previous lessons. I hope someone finds them useful.

Guantanamera

Hungarian Rhapsody #2

La Bamba

Mexican Hat Dance

Plaisir D’Amour

Undone

#991758 - 01/17/09 11:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Chocolatetown, USA
Undone - very nicely played - solid performance of all the pieces - good light touch, steady tempo and fine melodic emphasise.

Regards, JF

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

#991759 - 01/17/09 12:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Happy anniversary to me![/b] It was one year ago yesterday that I started re-learning the piano with Alfred’s All-In-One Book 1 page 1. I had taken a few of years of lessons as a child, was active in many musical pursuits all through my school years, I knew how to read music, and had continued to tinker with the piano now and again through out my life. So I was able to move fairly swiftly through much of book 1.

I eventually caught up with, and then surpassed, where my previous lessons and experience had taken me. Things continue to progress at a much slower rate now. Today I’m working on “The Magic Piper” and “He’s got the Whole World in His Hands”.

To celebrate this anniversary, and in response to Mark’s posting, I’m submitting these recordings to help fill in the blanks on our list of Book 2 pieces. I try to get a recording of each piece before I proceed on, so these recordings are ones that were done at the time I was working on them and are not new recording of previous lessons. I hope someone finds them useful.

Guantanamera

Hungarian Rhapsody #2

La Bamba

Mexican Hat Dance

Plaisir D’Amour

Undone [/b]
Wow...great work undone. I could never play the Mexican hat dance that well...

I'm going to link these to the first page...

I placed them at the end of the opening post because I have the basic book and don't have the exact order for the All in one book. If someone can tell where to slot Undone's wonderful pieces I'll move them to the proper spot.

Mark

Thanks so much...

#991760 - 01/17/09 02:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
angelojf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: PA
Undone: You say you hope someone finds them useful...

Well I sure do ! ! ! ! !

Bravo! Bravo! Encore! Encore!

I find them "useful" because being on Level One, I find these recordings to be inspirational!

Great work, happy anniversary, and thanks for posting them.

Angelojf

#991761 - 01/17/09 02:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
KaylaX Offline

Loc: N. Cali
HI Mark,

I am actually still in Alfreds 1 book but I have Alfreds 2 book and here is where the new pieces go.

Guantanamera goes after "Down in the valley"

Hungarian Rhapsody #2, La Bamba, and Mexican hat dance, all go after "Light blue" (in their same order)

And Plaisir D'Amour go after "Scherzo"

That should help the list so far. Of course there are still pieces missing here and there. I hope this helps. And I hope I didnt do any Boo Boo's. Well back to Alfreds 1 where I belong.

Although I do have one discreptancy in my book. I do not have these two songs "Tumbalalaika" and "Roman Holiday". Can someone tell me where in the book those two songs are???? They are not in my list of contents.

KaylaX
\:\)

#991762 - 01/17/09 02:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KaylaX:
HI Mark,

Although I do have one discreptancy in my book. I do not have these two songs "Tumbalalaika" and "Roman Holiday". Can someone tell me where in the book those two songs are???? They are not in my list of contents.

KaylaX
\:\) [/b]
Thanks! Adjustments made! Tumbalalaika and Roman Holiday are at the very beginning of Alfred 2 in the Basic adult version.

#991763 - 01/17/09 02:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
KaylaX Offline

Loc: N. Cali
Oh....

Thank you mark. I have the "All in one" edition. I looked and looked and looked and was beginning to think I was nuts!!!! Thank you for the clarification. Oh and I got my book from Amazon as used so I was also beginning to think that I got gypt!!!!!!

Thank again,

KaylaX

#991764 - 01/20/09 10:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Greetings Everyone,

I'm just about to start on my AIO level 2 book, and am looking forward to learning from many of you who have already harnessed much more experiences here than I have. So if anyone has any pointers and advise to offer as I embark on this new book, I would certainly appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Key Notes \:\)

#991765 - 01/21/09 05:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Key Notes - Welcome to the Alfred 2 thread! Again great job on finishing up Book 1

There's a lot of piano-loving, hard-practicing, help-giving people here who are eager to share your journey.

My advice: keep on doing what you've been doing all along - before you know it you'll have mastered the pieces in Book 2, posted a thread announcing this conquest as you did when you completed Book 1, and then you'll be making a post in the Alfred 3 thread similar to your current post above announcing your arrival there!

And don't hestitate to share your progress with us through your recordings.

Good luck and above all have fun.

Regards, JF

#991766 - 01/21/09 08:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Key Notes, Congratulations on your graduation from Book 1!

As you begin your journey through Book 2, be prepared to spend more time with each selection then you did in Book 1 (maybe not right off the bat, but soon). As the pieces get longer and the difficulty increases, it just takes a little more time to get to the point where you can play through them satisfactorily. Of course the feeling of accomplishment as you do complete each new piece increases as well. \:\)

Undone

#991767 - 01/22/09 12:50 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
Key Notes - Welcome to the Alfred 2 thread! Again great job on finishing up Book 1

There's a lot of piano-loving, hard-practicing, help-giving people here who are eager to share your journey.

My advice: keep on doing what you've been doing all along - before you know it you'll have mastered the pieces in Book 2, posted a thread announcing this conquest as you did when you completed Book 1, and then you'll be making a post in the Alfred 3 thread similar to your current post above announcing your arrival there!

And don't hestitate to share your progress with us through your recordings.

Good luck and above all have fun.

Regards, JF [/b]
Thanks JF, for the warm welcome and encouragements, as always.

I have the feeling that it'll take me quite a bit longer to get this book done as Undone had mentioned, since I expected it to be quite a bit harder than book 1.

I'm not sure about sharing future recordings at this point, we'll see... \:o But, it's certainly is encouraging to know that at least one person ask for more.

I hope that you are also having fun and are enjoying your level 3 book adventures.

Best Regards,

#991768 - 01/22/09 01:54 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Key Notes, Congratulations on your graduation from Book 1!

As you begin your journey through Book 2, be prepared to spend more time with each selection then you did in Book 1 (maybe not right off the bat, but soon). As the pieces get longer and the difficulty increases, it just takes a little more time to get to the point where you can play through them satisfactorily. Of course the feeling of accomplishment as you do complete each new piece increases as well. \:\)

Undone [/b]
Thank you Undone for your kind expressions of welcome and wonderful words of advise. I will certainly take them to heart and keep them in mind whenever I should face these new challenges.

I've already glanced quickly through the book and like you said, I did noticed that some of the pieces are several pages long, such as "Hava Nagila" for example, and since I'm not use to working with such full length versions, it'll definitely be very interesting.

I've also decided to add a supplimental song book to work on, just for variety, along with Alfred's, and some of the songs in there averages about 4-5 pages long. I think that I may be asking for trouble , but hopefully improvements and enjoyment well come along the way as well. \:\)

And finally, I would also like to extend my congratulations to you for your one-year anniversary upon returning to learn to play the piano as well.

I listened to all of the five pieces that you've posted on the previous page for Mark to link to, and wow, how beautifully you played. I particularly love the "Hungarian Rhapsody #2" and "Plaisir D'Amour". Thank you for sharing your recordings for they'll certainly be very useful for many of us beginners.

Thanks again and happy playing to you!

Best Regards,

#991769 - 01/22/09 05:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Mark - the mention by Key Notes in her post above where she talked about the length of "Hava Nagila" reminded me that I had not yet made my recording of that piece available for you to insert in the OP back on page 1 of this thread - if you'll remember, this was my entry in the last ABF Recital - so, here it is:

Hava Nagila

I also have a new, improved recording of "Danny Boy" which I'll link up here for you soon.

In addition, I submitted an enhanced version of "Black Forest Polka" to the January Piano Bar if you want to use that too. Thanks.

Regards, JF

#991770 - 01/22/09 10:05 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by John Frank:
Mark - the mention by Key Notes in her post above where she talked about the length of "Hava Nagila" reminded me that I had not yet made my recording of that piece available for you to insert in the OP back on page 1 of this thread - if you'll remember, this was my entry in the last ABF Recital - so, here it is:

Hava Nagila

I also have a new, improved recording of "Danny Boy" which I'll link up here for you soon.

In addition, I submitted an enhanced version of "Black Forest Polka" to the January Piano Bar if you want to use that too. Thanks.

Regards, JF [/b]
I added Hava Nagila thanks...

#991771 - 01/22/09 12:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

Loc: Delaware
After listening to the beautiful recordings by Undone I am both inspired and depressed that my own playing does not come anywhere close. Today I started Pomp and Circumstance and am trying to polish up Black Forrest Polka. I enjoy playing that one. I do find myself spending quite a bit more time at the keyboard when I like the pieces.

#991772 - 01/22/09 04:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobH:
After listening to the beautiful recordings by Undone I am both inspired and depressed that my own playing does not come anywhere close. Today I started Pomp and Circumstance and am trying to polish up Black Forrest Polka. I enjoy playing that one. I do find myself spending quite a bit more time at the keyboard when I like the pieces. [/b]
I'm with ya Bob. Although I've not actually recorded anything (yet) there is always going to be people far better than us, hell look at Kawaigirl who can churn out masterpieces only days after seeing the sheet music..

But hey, we're here, we're having fun and we're doing it \:\)

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991773 - 01/22/09 11:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nice Hava Nagila JF!

BobH, I'm sure that you are a lot better than I am being that far into book 2, eventhough you may not want to compare yourself with such a newbie like myself, but like TTigg said, at least we are having lots of fun trying.

Cheers,

#991774 - 01/23/09 09:19 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

BobH, don’t feel depressed; there are many paths to our goal of learning to play the piano and we all have to find the path that works us. Some people like to take each piece to the point where they feel they’ve learned enough from it and then move one, I’m just one of those obsessive-compulsive types that will keep working on a piece until I’m happy with the recording I get, even if it takes months (I’ve been working on a single “supplemental piece” for six months now and I’m not even close to being able playing it all the way through yet – even with mistakes).

For me, the decision on “how fast to proceed” has been one of the biggest decisions I’ve had to make while working in Book 2 without a teacher. Sometimes I feel like I’m stuck in a rut and not making any progress when I haven’t started on anything new in weeks and I’m still not close to being finished with what I’m working on, but then I finally do get another piece “finished” and I’m happy with what I’ve accomplished.

I only play for my own enjoyment and have no aspirations to do anything more then that. So I’m not in any hurry to reach any sort of grade or ability level, it’s all about getting some enjoyment out of what I’m doing while I’m doing it. And if I decide to switch paths and try an entirely different approach tomorrow, well that’s fine too.

Just enjoy the ride! \:\)

Undone

#991775 - 01/24/09 06:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
BobH Offline

Loc: Delaware
Undone,
I really was just kidding about the depressed part of my post. I must admit though that your playing has a clean finished quality about it that I never achieve. I am happy with the Alfred's series but I consider the pieces as stones in path and not music I want to add to my repertoire. As a result I get so far and then move on. I always felt the polish would come after I reach a certain level of proficiency. When I hear someone play the way you do I have to wonder if it would be best for my learning journey to slow down once in a while and really nail down one of the pieces. Let me just add that when I look back on what I could do 6 months ago to what I can do now I am more then satisfied with my progress.

#991776 - 01/24/09 11:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BobH:
I am happy with the Alfred's series but I consider the pieces as stones in path and not music I want to add to my repertoire.

As a result I get so far and then move on. I always felt the polish would come after I reach a certain level of proficiency.

When I hear someone play the way you do I have to wonder if it would be best for my learning journey to slow down once in a while and really nail down one of the pieces.

[/b]
BobH - to use an old Pennsylvania Dutch expression you "might be putting the cart in front of the horse" - that "certain level of proficiency" that you are hoping to reach so that you will then be able to "polish" the pieces you're working on may never come if you don't perhaps slow down just a little and take the time to play each of those "stepping-stone" pieces in the various levels of Alfred (and any other pieces you're working on) to the best of your current ability (as opposed to just "getting by" with them) at the time you first encounter them (or as you review them).

"Polishing" each piece as you encounter it to the best of your ability at your current level is essential, and is itself a stepping-stone on the path to reaching each new "level of proficiency" - the polishing comes first and then gradually over time new levels of proficiency are reached (not the other way around).

You may never become proficient (at least as much as you would hope or like) if you don't work constantly at playing each piece as best you can over an extended period of time.

But, playing each piece "as best you can" doesn't mean playing it perfectly, without mistakes - it just means having reasonable control over it to the extent that you can play it as intended by the composer (or editor) - that is, at the indicated tempo with the indicated dynamics andwith some degree of musicality (while keeping mistakes to a reasonable minimum) - the mistakes you make in pieces at a given level will be gradually reduced as you review them periodically (polishing them even more) and as your skill level increases over time with more demanding pieces.

So, don't worry too much about mistakes, but always keep in mind that polishing leads to proficiency - not the reverse.

Regards, JF

Edited for spelling, grammer & additional thoughts.

#991777 - 01/26/09 09:04 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
bperry Offline

Once again, I've logged on and spent too much time reading.
I just started Pomp & Circumstances and it seems like a big step forward. I'm kind of in the same boat as BobH in that I move on when I finish something. I don't have any polished repertoire other than Night Song which I just finished. I don't know if that's good or not but with a limited amount of practice time I like to work on new things. I do Hanon and Alfred. I actually like the Hanon exercises. I think they help my fingers and also make a good warmup.
Gtg. I'm supposed to be working.

#991778 - 01/27/09 07:48 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Hey J.F. – I just started on one of your favorites from Book 2: “Ballin’ the Jack”. This one is going to take some time (even though I’m quite familiar with the song).

Undone

#991779 - 01/27/09 10:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Hey J.F. – I just started on one of your favorites from Book 2: “Ballin’ the Jack”. This one is going to take some time (even though I’m quite familiar with the song).

Undone [/b]
Yes, I enjoyed that one a lot - but it wasn't easy - if you go over it enough eventually you get it partly or wholly memorized and then you can concentrate on the somewhat tricky fingering (and the slightly tricky rhythm) - have fun - I somehow suspect that you'll "ace" it sooner rather than later!

Regards, JF

#991780 - 01/29/09 05:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

wOw Arkansas Traveler =

Every now and then Alfred seems to throw me a "curve ball" and have my fingers doing things I think they were never meant to do.

Yep, don't think I'm going to get a check mark this week from teacher on this one. I mean I can play it but just "very slowly" \:\)

Still, I was already warned book#2 was going be much harder than #1 \:\)

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991781 - 01/31/09 02:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

quote:
Originally posted by TTigg:
wOw Arkansas Traveler =

Thanks for the warning, I'll have to continued to practice my Hanon exercises even more diligently, I knew that there's a reason for everything. \:\)

And just an observation about myself but I've found that I really enjoyed playing and listening to those arpeggiated chords, such as in the ending of "Guantannamera" - what pretty sounds.

Cheers,

Page 23 of 101 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 25 ... 100 101 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
19 minutes 30 seconds ago
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Today at 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
Yesterday at 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
Yesterday at 09:04 PM
Returning to piano, advice on slow learning process
by roninpro
Yesterday at 07:57 PM
Who's Online
96 registered (aesop, AndreiN, Anticlock, anotherscott, 28 invisible), 1001 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157597 Topics
2314848 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission