2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 190 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 189 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice going TTigg! thumb

I'm just starting to speed up the tempo a bit with "Guantanamera". I'm going to have to remind myself of the same thing as well in terms of the speed with which I should be moving through the difficult pieces, and to enjoy the process of learning (suffering?) laugh , and progress will come soon enough.

Happy playing to you!

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Currently working on Mexican Hat Dance. This piece is challenging but overall fun to play. The piece before such, For He's a Jolly Good Fellow, was both fun and easy. These are the first two pieces I have found enjoyable since Light and Blue.

To Key Notes: after Guantanamera you have (I believe) Theme from Overture and Light and Blue (in that order). They are both great. After such, you are in for a few weeks of misery (including La Bamba; which I absolutely loathed).

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Waltz:

To Key Notes: after Guantanamera you have (I believe) Theme from Overture and Light and Blue (in that order). They are both great. After such, you are in for a few weeks of misery (including La Bamba; which I absolutely loathed).
Thanks! Good to know regarding Overture and Light and Blue. And thanks for the heads-up regarding La Bamba. I see what you mean, all of those treble clefs' chords is going to kill me. laugh But, I'm excited about learning those new "repeated" music note notations, such as CODA and the fancy S symbol.

Thanks again and good luck with your Mexican Hat Dance.

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Finished up MHD, working on Festive Dance now. Its staccato pattern is reminiscent of Theme from Overture. Overall it's very nice to play.

An observation: thus far, the 6/8 introductory time scale pieces have all been played in an allegro tempo (or moderate allegro).

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Working on Battle Hym as we speak, good god man those left/right hand changes and the timing (16th notes) are a real challenge to learn! cool

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I took a look at Battle Hymn and it did look rather dense. Also, the time scale had a "c" mark or something to that effect; I won't speculate smile .

[Linked Image]
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
I took a look at Battle Hymn and it did look rather dense. Also, the time scale had a "c" mark or something to that effect; I won't speculate smile .
The "C" means common time which is 4/4 time...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Mark. They have not yet covered that as of Scherzo (on which I am currently working; highly enjoyable and somewhat simple in structure; repetitive so to speak).

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I love "Theme from the Overture". So beautiful. 3hearts

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To Key Notes:

It is certainly a nice piece. I want to correct something about which I misspoke. I took a look back and actually after Light and Blue you have Hungarian Rhapsody and Morning has Broken. They are both fine pieces. There are only three which I did not enjoy: Alexander's Ragtime Band, La Bamba, and La Raspa. I spent nearly a week at two hours or so a day practicing La Bamba and still could not play it "well". Those experiences overshadowed everything else in the general vicinity of such.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Waltz, not a problem. I did noticed that La Bamba was five songs away still for me, but figured that anything before that could also be potential problems for me regardless of how nice, or not, they may sound, so not to worry. Thanks for the heads-up and clarifications though.

Now you've got me even more curious about those challenging pieces.

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes,

Alexander's Ragtime Band was fairly easy to play; the reason I did not care for it was because it was a little dull and perhaps even "childish" in sound and rhythm. La Raspa is a traditional and easily recognizable piece and it wasn't too hard to play. I enjoyed it at first but as I tried to "clean" it up it grew rather irritating (perhaps also due to the fact that it succeeded La Bamba :p ). La Bamba was the major challenge and also was clunky and a drag to have to learn.

I am on Scherzo now and loving it smile .

How quickly are you playing Theme from Overture? I fist learned it at an Andante tempo. Later I sped it up slightly after hearing a performance of it at a faster pace. I am interested to know what your thoughts of it are.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Finished up Scherzo and am currently on Introduction and Dance. Sounds oddly like the Rolling Stone's "Paint it, Black". Is there a connection? Wiki wouldn't tell me wink .

TTigg,

I listened to your performance of "At Sunrise". It was marvelous, a job very well done.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes,

Alexander's Ragtime Band was fairly easy to play; the reason I did not care for it was because it was a little dull and perhaps even "childish" in sound and rhythm. La Raspa is a traditional and easily recognizable piece and it wasn't too hard to play. I enjoyed it at first but as I tried to "clean" it up it grew rather irritating (perhaps also due to the fact that it succeeded La Bamba :p ). La Bamba was the major challenge and also was clunky and a drag to have to learn.

I am on Scherzo now and loving it smile .

How quickly are you playing Theme from Overture? I fist learned it at an Andante tempo. Later I sped it up slightly after hearing a performance of it at a faster pace. I am interested to know what your thoughts of it are.
Waltz,

Interesting to know, and I'm glad that you enjoyed Scherzo.

In regards to Theme from the Overture, I was quite slow to moderately slow yesterday when I first started working on it, but today I've managed to get a recording of it at an Andante tempo I believed (I'm not sure).

I've also watched a couple of YouTube video performances, and decided that I still like to play it at either Andante or even slightly slower (Adagio 66-76 bpm?), with some extra emphasis and dynamic accents on the last two notes in each measures of the melody lines, as well as play them slightly legato instead of staccato as indicated.

Being such a beginner, I'm not sure if this is the best or correct way of playing this piece, but I do like the sound of it. smile In fact, I'm quite thankful for anything that I can play that would resemble a recognizable piece of music, since I've only begun on this piano journey 11 months ago.

Thanks for asking and happy playing to you.

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Finished up Scherzo and am currently on Introduction and Dance. Sounds oddly like the Rolling Stone's "Paint it, Black". Is there a connection? Wiki wouldn't tell me wink .

TTigg,

I listened to your performance of "At Sunrise". It was marvelous, a job very well done.
[Linked Image] Thanks..

My 1st recital (online) and I can see I'm going to have to invest in one of these Zoom things. The other pieces I'm hearing sound "amazing!"

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
TTigg,

Congratulations on your very first ABF recital! thumb I just listened to your piece as well. It's beautiful, and beautifully played. You surely deserved that Zoom.

Cheers!

Key Notes smile

I don't know about any connection with "Paint it, Black", but its definitely the tune used for "Those were the Days": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Key Notes:
TTigg,

Congratulations on your very first ABF recital! thumb I just listened to your piece as well. It's beautiful, and beautifully played. You surely deserved that Zoom.

Cheers!

Key Notes smile
[Linked Image] Thanks Key Notes. I'm quickly learning that even though we are our own worse critics (didn't like this, or didn't like that) it's great to get the "pats on the back" form our peers. It's especially great to get them from those who've been playing for a lot longer than me.

Finally starting my "Piano" journey was one thing, it's been so much more of a richer experience with the help/feedback/encouragement from ABF! thumb

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Undone:
[b] Finished up Scherzo and am currently on Introduction and Dance. Sounds oddly like the Rolling Stone's "Paint it, Black". Is there a connection? Wiki wouldn't tell me wink .
I don't know about any connection with "Paint it, Black", but its definitely the tune used for "Those were the Days": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5pkkAhETYg

Undone [/b]
Thanks for the reply. The adagio "portion" is where the Paint it, Black similarities (at least supposed) were for me. Perhaps I'm speaking nonsense.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi, Can someone please tell me how I should be playing the final (ending) chords in the piece "Light and Blue" on pg. 17 as "Tremolo"? I haven't encounter this technique before so I just wanted to make sure that I'm learning it correctly.

I listened to John Frank's example posted on the first page of this thread (very nice btw JF), as well as try to look for some YouTube videos but couldn't find any.

I recognized that they have an illustration at the bottom right hand corner of pg. 17, and it looks like I should be playing the notes seperately, kind of like an Arpeggio style? Except in this case, play the bB and the D at the same time for the right hand, then the E?

And for the left hand, play the low C first, then the high C?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Key Notes smile

Page 36 of 190 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission