Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 25 of 100 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#991812 - 02/17/09 07:08 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Loc: USA, CT
Key Notes, I don’t have my music here with me right now but I think I know what you are referring to (or I might be completely off base). I think you have the right idea as far as how the notes are sounded. The fun part comes when you quickly alternate between the high and low notes with each hand. It’s more of a wrist action then a finger action. To start out with you could just play two notes with each hand (1st and 5th fingers) and just keep them going back and forth, then add the additional key to the right hand. Think of a “drum roll” sort of action.

Here’s one clip I found showing how to play a Tremolo with one hand (in a different song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEvBiwxpids Just do the same thing with both hands, add the extra note, and your all set. \:\)

Undone

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#991813 - 02/17/09 09:01 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Southern California
 Quote:
Originally posted by Key Notes:
Hi, Can someone please tell me how I should be playing the final (ending) chords in the piece "Light and Blue" on pg. 17 as "Tremolo"? I haven't encounter this technique before so I just wanted to make sure that I'm learning it correctly.

I listened to John Frank's example posted on the first page of this thread (very nice btw JF), as well as try to look for some YouTube videos but couldn't find any.

I recognized that they have an illustration at the bottom right hand corner of pg. 17, and it looks like I should be playing the notes seperately, kind of like an Arpeggio style? Except in this case, play the bB and the D at the same time for the right hand, then the E?

And for the left hand, play the low C first, then the high C?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Key Notes \:\) [/b]
Hey Keynotes,
Take a look at this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vO-FeKJtBs&feature=PlayList&p=4686052E0911DF9C&index=64

I've been following Alex's videos a guide for quite a while. He doesn't have 100% of the #2 videos done but I'd say he's got 90% of them \:\)

Enjoy....

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991814 - 02/17/09 01:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Out of curiosity: is the final piece Canon in D a simplified version (beginner) or a "modified" version (changed but not necessarily easier) of the original?

#991815 - 02/17/09 03:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Thank you so much Undone and TTigg for your quick replies and informations, I truly appreciate it. I'll have to check them out closely once I get home this evening.

Have a fabulous day!

Key Notes \:\)

#991816 - 02/17/09 04:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Waltz:
Out of curiosity: is the final piece Canon in D a simplified version (beginner) or a "modified" version (changed but not necessarily easier) of the original? [/b]
Waltz, Pachelbel’s Canon in D was not written for piano, so all piano music that you find for it will be a “modified” version. As for whether it’s “simplified” or not, I don’t know how to answer that (maybe someone else does), it’s simpler then some transcriptions I’ve heard but not as simple as others.

Undone

#991817 - 02/18/09 01:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Wow! Undone and TTigg, It's so much fun trying out this new technique. And I was so amused by my beginner's attempts and at the level of difficulties of these new wrists and fingers acrobatics that I was actually laughing at myself while trying it out.

I can get one hand or the other going just fine (the left is a bit better then the right for some strange reason eventhough I'm right handed), but as soon as I try to put them together, everything goes haywire. \:D I know, it's the same story many of you have heard before. Coordination is definitely the key here as well. But by keeping in mind Undone's fabulous instructions on the "drum roll" effect, and that it's more of a wrist action rather than fingers made such a big difference.

I can see why Mrs. Wong would mentioned that it may requires years of practice to perfect, as well as recommended that if your wrists and fingers feels tired, that you should take a break or stop. Eventhough my hands can reach an octave just fine, albeit closer towards the tips of the white keys, my fingers got kind of cramped up. \:D A lot more practice obviously are required before I can find the correct and comfortable hands positions in order for them to be able to relax.

Many thanks once again to you Undone and TTigg, as well as to Yoke Wong and PianoNoobAlexMan for the excellent examples.

Best regards,

#991818 - 02/19/09 07:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Alex's videos are an invaluable reference and he is a talented player. However, the tempo in his performances tends to be fast. Of course, there are many valid ways of interpreting music but I would not feel obligated to consistently play at his speed. I just finished up Introduction and dance and I played the beginning portion (marked adagio) at a much slower pace than did he.

When I was on Light and Blue I also viewed his video as an example of tremolo; he does it well.

#991819 - 02/21/09 12:52 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Finally got my "pass" on Battle Hym (phew) those switches between hands were challenging for sure!

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991820 - 02/21/09 06:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Congrats TTig, you are very talented. When you say "pass" do you mean your intructor's or your own?

#991821 - 02/21/09 09:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Waltz:
Congrats TTig, you are very talented. When you say "pass" do you mean your intructor's or your own? [/b]
My teacher Elena \:\)

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991822 - 02/24/09 07:26 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
rwvaldivia Offline

Loc: Sao Paulo - Brazil
Hello everyone! This is my first post in this forum! Sorry my bad english, but this is not my primary language. I'm a very and very beginner starting in November 2008!! I study piano in 1993 but only for some months.

I'm using Leila Fletcher book 2 with my teatcher and other braziliam book from Mario Mascarenhas called "Duas maozinhas no teclado" (Two litle hands on the keyboard" - this title is hilarious, hehe). This is a two good books but, after reading some posts here I decide try Alfreds Book 2 and I order it on Amazon!!!!

I think this wonderfull study method! I upload the "Down The Valley" and apreciate your comments!!

http://www.youtube.com/rwvaldivia
tks a lot!

#991823 - 02/24/09 07:58 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Undone Offline

Hello rwvaldivia and welcome to the forum! When I read your post I was wondering why you decided to skip over Alfred’s Book 1 and go right to Book 2. Then I watched your youtube piece and understood why. Great job, and after only four months!

One small thing I picked up on (and I don’t have the music here in front of me right now); there are a few places where you are playing the same note with the right hand twice. I think these may be tied and the note should only be sounded once. It’s just in a few of measures, if you listen to the version of this piece that is posted on page one of this thread, I think you’ll hear what I’m talking about.

You’re making fantastic progress in a very short amount of time. I look forward to hearing more.

Undone

#991824 - 02/24/09 01:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome rwvaldivia. Nice performance of Down in the Valley. I think Bridal Chorus is next; lovely piece ;\) .

#991825 - 02/24/09 01:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome to the dark side \:\)

My You Tube | My Box.net

#991826 - 02/26/09 12:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome rwvaldivia. I'm a beginner who have just recently started with book 2 myself. I enjoyed listening to your performance of "Down the Valley".

Best of luck to you.

#991827 - 02/26/09 12:41 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TTigg:
Welcome to the dark side \:\) [/b]
:D

#991828 - 02/26/09 06:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2
rwvaldivia Offline

Hey!! Hello!! tks for your comments!

Undone: you are right! I'm playing some notes twice. Now I work to solve this! tks so much to your comment! But about my progress I think this is just a luck. Down the Valley have the same patterns what I study with my teacher, them it's was simple. Is true I'm very obstinate. I pratice every day 2 hours after my work. My wife say: "thus you go to have a tendinite soon" hehe... My answer is: "no pain, no gain" \:\)

Waltz: I don't know if Bridal Chorus is the next. I still did not receive my book. I'm studing with the samples (Amazon show the first pages to the some books, and I download them). But I'm studing it now, very slow. It's hard to me \:\)

TTig: tks! hei, nobody said that this is the dark side! hehehe

Key Notes: realy do you start the book 2 too? Cool... If you have a mp3 or video on-line I would like to see/listen \:\)

Brazilian hugs to all!

#1154054 - 02/27/09 04:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: rwvaldivia]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Welcome back.

#1154190 - 02/27/09 07:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
rwvaldivia Offline

Anyone know explain what diference in "Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 " and "Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course, All-In-One, Level 2" ?!?!?!

#1154226 - 02/27/09 09:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: rwvaldivia]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

rwvaldivia,

I have never actually flipped through the Basic edition (I use the All-In-One) but I have read other's descriptions of it and from what I have surmised it is shorter in length with fewer pieces and lacks the theory aspect that makes the All-in-One a true All-In-One package. If I am wrong someone please correct me smile .

BTW. I am on "Calypso Carnival" now. After "Intro and Dance" there was a streak of easier pieces (mostly in G major/E minor). However, Calypso Carnival is not easy and is in D major (two accidentals).

#1154447 - 02/28/09 07:59 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
rwvaldivia Offline

Hey Waltz,

I listen "Calipso Carnival" in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djf7jwkTDRo. It's very quick piece! How you say, is not easy... good luck!! smile

#1154716 - 02/28/09 03:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: rwvaldivia]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

As an update, I prematurely reacted to CC. It actually isn't so hard to play after a few hours of practice (although it certainly is at first). I nearly have it down but I have a quick question:

What is meant by the designation mf-p? Does this mean a decrescendo or to simply pick between mezzo forte and piano? Thanks,

Waltz.

#1154847 - 02/28/09 07:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
rwvaldivia Offline

Well,

mf-p it's mezzo forte but not piano!! How you say, "pick between mezzo forte and piano" smile

#1154894 - 02/28/09 08:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: rwvaldivia]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Huh?

#1154997 - 03/01/09 12:45 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: rwvaldivia]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Ooh, nice new visuals. smile

Originally Posted By: rwvaldivia

Key Notes: realy do you start the book 2 too? Cool... If you have a mp3 or video on-line I would like to see/listen smile

Hi rwvaldivia,

Thanks for asking but I'm not that good, or that brave yet so I don't have any mp3 or videos to show you, but I did uploaded and shared a piece from the Alfred's Adult AIO, level 1 book last month in January when I finished with that book via www.box.net, and here it is. I hope that you'll enjoy it.

Scarborough Fair

Cheers,

Key Notes smile

#1155097 - 03/01/09 08:57 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Waltz]
Undone Offline

Originally Posted By: Waltz
What is meant by the designation mf-p? Does this mean a decrescendo or to simply pick between mezzo forte and piano? Thanks,

Waltz.

Walts, mf-p means to play it mezzo forte (mf) the first time through and piano (p) the second time through.

Undone

#1155116 - 03/01/09 09:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
Undone Offline

Hey gang,

I was finally able to give myself a “pass” on “Ballin’ the Jack”. It took me a long time to complete this one, but not for the reasons I would have thought. There were a few tricky spots in this piece that took some time to get down, but this didn’t take as long as I thought it might. Instead, what took all the time was simply trying to play through the entire piece, with the repeats, without making any major mistakes or having any long out of place pauses. It’s easy to hit a wrong note in this one – your hands are often performing quite different tasks at the same time. Anyway, here it is:

Ballin' the Jack

While working on this piece I also managed to complete “Nobody Knows the Trouble I’ve Seen” and “La Donna E Mobile” is well underway. I just started on “Frankie and Johnny” and was glad I spent the time to get the level 2 version of “He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands” down since they both use the same rhythm and bass progression.

Undone

#1155157 - 03/01/09 10:47 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
TTigg Offline
500 Post Club Member

Checking in to say "Hello" and this week = La Donna E Mobile Rigoletto. I keep telling myself Sunday is my biggest day to practice and try to get a heads up for the week prior to Thursday's lesson.

Gotta step away from David N (Wonderland) and get going on the lesson stuff (lol)

cool

My You Tube | My Box.net

#1155268 - 03/01/09 01:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: TTigg]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks Undone. I wish they'd give reminders. How long have you been on book 2?

#1155397 - 03/01/09 06:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Undone]
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Undone,

Nice job on "Ballin the Jack". It sounded like it would be a very fun piece to learn to play with its upbeat rhythms and all. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it. smile

And just a bit of an update from my side. I'm now able to get the tremolo ending part of "Light and Blue" piece to sound a bit better now, as well as currently working on another supplimental piece from my Richard Clayderman Anthology book. Still having such a wonderful time whenever I do sit down at the piano.

Best,

Key Notes smile

Page 25 of 100 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 27 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (antony, Almaviva, Anne'sson, anotherscott, ABC Vermonter, 38 invisible), 1495 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153716 Topics
2253425 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
18 minutes 58 seconds ago
Will you take Manhattan?
by davefrank
26 minutes 27 seconds ago
Growing student
by pianoplayer84
37 minutes 45 seconds ago
Our first piano acquisition- Yamaha U3
by Manutabora
Today at 07:56 PM
Yamaha Grand buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 07:35 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission