2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (brennbaer, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#994634 12/23/06 11:35 AM
OP Offline
With the new Rocky Balboa movie out in theaters, I thought some of you might be interested in playing this short but gorgeous piano piece from the Rocky movies composed by Bill Conti. It's entitled "Alone in the Ring". It adopts the melodic motives from the more often played "Gonna Fly Now". It has some lovely harmonies but is very accessible to beginner students.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dea4MCdzSn4

I don't really do any verbal explanation on how to play it, but just put the camera over my shoulder for you to follow along. I think it's slow enough for most of you to pick up with just a couple repeated viewings.

Let me know if you have any questions.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ah ha! That was the lesson I saw at youtube the other day. Nice. Bill Conti has written some nice TV theme songs and Movie Scores. Thanks for posting it.

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting! I have longed to play this piece for a while now, but I was struggling a bit with the minor-sounding chords.

Thank you,
Euan.

Mario,

I love that piece. Where can I get the sheetmusic? Could not find it online.

Thanks!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks! I just got back from seeing that movie about an hour ago.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Psycho,

going off-topic for a second - was it good? I think i will watch it anyways, because it is Rocky, but I'm worried in case it turns out to be terrible...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mario, thanks so much as usual you rock.

Off topic

My husband and I went and watched the movie and we both loved it. It had a lot of really good moments and of course you can't get away from the culminating fight at the end.

We thought it ranked up there with his first movie

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
nice

"Flower-sniffin' Kitty-pettin' Baby-kissin Corporate Rock Whores"

~ Kurt Cobain
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Euan Morrison:
Psycho,

going off-topic for a second - was it good? I think i will watch it anyways, because it is Rocky, but I'm worried in case it turns out to be terrible...
I thought it was good. It started a little slow for my taste but it was worth watching.

The little piano tune had me thinking about how to play it everytime I heard it.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for posting that, Mario! I think "Alone in the Ring" sounds better in its slow incarnation than the original rocky theme did.

...but I have to say I enjoyed even more your lesson on how to play "Clocks." Even though I was in middle of cooking dinner, I had to run to the piano and try out those arpeggios. smile

OP Offline
Ha ha! Thanks, Monica. I hope I didn't cause you to burn anything. smile

Originally posted by Monica Kern:
Thanks for posting that, Mario! I think "Alone in the Ring" sounds better in its slow incarnation than the original rocky theme did.

...but I have to say I enjoyed even more your lesson on how to play "Clocks." Even though I was in middle of cooking dinner, I had to run to the piano and try out those arpeggios. smile

OP Offline
I couldn't find the sheet music for it either. One of my podcast subscribers asked if I could teach it, so I just did it by ear.

I did a pretty rough transcription of it it in Finale Notepad.

So if you want a look at that, I can probably send you a PDF. Just let me know if you're interested.

Originally posted by frog52:
Mario,

Thanks!

Mario,

I sent you a Private Message with my email. Would love to get your transcription. Thanks!

J
J
hey mario,

i'm that guy that posted a video response to that vid on youtube. i only started playing 7th jan, and your vids have helped a lot. i've also changed my set-up and bought a stand to improve my posture. thanks again

fil

OP Offline
Hey fil,

Glad to hear that you got a stand for your keyboard. Feel free to post another video response to it with your new stand. I might actually feature those videos in a conference presentation that I'm giving this summer on long-distance teaching technologies. So I hope you don't mind if I do!

Originally posted by juniperjungle:
hey mario,

i'm that guy that posted a video response to that vid on youtube. i only started playing 7th jan, and your vids have helped a lot. i've also changed my set-up and bought a stand to improve my posture. thanks again

fil

T
T
Hi Mario,
Is there any chance you could email me the PDF of alone in the Ring as I am a beginner and think it would be a good challenge?

email is brenton@posnav.com.au

many thanks

Brenton

Member # 17182

Member Rated:
posted December 31, 2006 02:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I couldn't find the sheet music for it either. One of my podcast subscribers asked if I could teach it, so I just did it by ear.

So if you want a look at that, I can probably send you a PDF. Just let me know if you're interested.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mario,

Thanks!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I found a slightly simplified version of "Alone in the Ring" here:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0057505

I have music from the movie when it was first released...ugh..my age is showing....

I love "First Date" and "Philadelphia Morning" and they too are good for beginners.

I just now, after a 20 year search got the sheet music for "Sentimental Walk" from the film "DIVA"....I found it online from the UK.

Try searching by composer name...it works better for me.

BeeLady

Life is like a roll of toilet paper...the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by twinturbo007:
Hi Mario,
Is there any chance you could email me the PDF of alone in the Ring as I am a beginner and think it would be a good challenge?

email is brenton@posnav.com.au

many thanks

Brenton

Member # 17182

Member Rated:
posted December 31, 2006 02:25 PM

quote:
Mario,

Thanks!
You might have to wait for a response from Mario. The thread is old and Mario's last post was 11 months ago...

OP Offline
Wow...

Has it been that long?

Sorry, I've been caught up in quite a number of exciting teaching projects the past year.

Also finally finished my Ph.D. and had a new baby girl, so my hands had been full to say the least.

Hope to get more involved in this forum this new year, and wish everyone the best.

By the way, to respond to the inquiry about the sheet music to "Alone in the Ring", I don't have that PDF anymore. However, I found out that it is available from Musicnotes.com to buy and download.

Originally posted by Mark...:
You might have to wait for a response from Mario. The thread is old and Mario's last post was 11 months ago...

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Congrats on the new baby and Ph,D.!! Dr. Mario

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission