Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#995444 - 11/17/04 08:35 PM Key of "F" Sharp
DarenT Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
One of the tests in the course I am taking asks if the signature shows six sharps, what key is it in and what are the sharps. The answer is that it is in the key of F sharp and the six sharps are F,C,G,D,A and E. But how can you sharp an E, there is no black key next to it?

Thank you.

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#995445 - 11/17/04 09:27 PM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
E# is the same key as F, but it's name is still E#.

#995446 - 11/17/04 09:38 PM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
Lightnin Offline

E# is the F key. Fb is the E key.
B# is the C key. Cb is the B key.

The idea is the half step. See Enharmonic.

#995447 - 11/18/04 03:11 AM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
Cryptkeeper Offline

Loc: Belgium
Like lightning says, don't think of sharp and flats like 'it the black key above or the black key below the note'

Sharp means you have to go half a step up, flat means you have to go half a step down.

#995448 - 11/18/04 06:32 AM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
The piece I'm working on right now (Malaguena) has a bunch of E#'s in it.. I tell ya, when I first started digging in, I kept missing them \:\)

This is called "Enharmonic spelling" of notes - when you "spell it" differently depending on the key of the piece.

Check Here for more on that.

-Paul

#995449 - 11/18/04 08:22 AM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
Lightnin Offline

My guess is that Daren should now be at the point of thinking "Who invented this system anyway? And why in the world this way?" \:\)

I certainly was there then (not very long ago), and I was thinking "Lets see, if there were only 6 notes in the diatonic scales, then ...."

But when you accept it, it grows on you, and it doent seem nearly so awkward later on.

#995450 - 11/18/04 10:42 AM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
DarenT Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
"My guess is that Daren should now be at the point of thinking "Who invented this system anyway? And why in the world this way?"..........Right on!

" Like lightning says, don't think of sharp and flats like 'it the black key above or the black key below the note'

Sharp means you have to go half a step up, flat means you have to go half a step down."........Excellent clarification. Why don't the teachers talk like this!

Thank you everybody. I can now get on with trying to actually play the music.

#995451 - 11/18/04 03:19 PM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

"Why don't the teachers talk like this!"

Most do. Mine sure did.

#995452 - 11/21/04 06:23 AM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
ONCE UPON A TIME
When the first keyboard musicians were bashing white ivories way back in the year dot (sometime after the Middle Ages) somebody came up with the idea of adding an extra note or two to add a bit more zing to those chappies who were damaging ear-drums in the mononous key of C - very wearing on the equanimity of Castle stay-over mother-in-law!!

Well, some open spaces were discovered in which to squeeze the extra notes - in particular between the TONE steps of the C Major scale.

Some lyre-twanging peasant is credited with having worked out a versatile chromatic scale of 12 basic notes each a semitone apart. The Well-tempered scale - Rah! RAh! Gadzooks!!

But then came the rub.

"There is no space on our alphabet 5-line stave for all these extra notes " quoth Montmorency Twit - President of the May-Day Fairies". What are we going to do?" he gasped.

It should be pointed out that the keyboard lads were so used to reading their boring music in the key of C, that the thought of a change of stave was furthest from their minds. But what to do?

Cometh the moment.... enter the most diabolical villain in musical history.
Snake-in-the Grass crawled out from under a stone and amazed the conservative company with a villainous plot to hang on to the antiquated but familiar 5-line stave.

President Twit could but beam and handed the floor to Snake.

"So few today use the extra notes" hissed the Snake and followed
"It would be absurd to alter the 5-line stave for the sake of a tiny minority".
His slit-eyes narrowed as he observed his words gaining support - time for the punch-line.
"Why don't we name the extra notes as vassals of the 7 white notes".

Everyone clapped and the motion was carried - a parting word of thanks and the serpent slithered back under his rock.

Sadly.... THEY DIDN'T LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

And so we have the laughable 2004 Computer Age situation where the author of this thread asks a neat qustion "But how can you sharp an E, there is no black key next to it?"

A key such as F# Major with 6 sharps is a "nonsense" because there are only 5 black keys.

#995453 - 11/21/04 09:35 AM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

btb, a semitone up or a semitone down is just a semitone. Black and white have nothing to do with it. Once sharps and flats are defined properly (aka, not defined in reference to black keys), then it all makes perfect sense. At least it does to me.

I'm currently learning "I Wonder as I Wander" in Bb-minor (five flats). When I see the note D in the sheet music, I don't think of Db. Since I'm in that scale, when I see D in the music, I think of and reach for the black key between C and D.

For each new piece I learn, I try and get one in a scale that I'm unfamiliar with to make it easier to learn my scales. That way the scale has musical context to me.

#995454 - 11/21/04 09:06 PM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
Hi Bob,

You give a good face to accidentals.

Easy sight-reading with single note outlines but
increasingly more difficult with accidental rich key signatures and multi-fingered notes in both hands.

#995455 - 11/22/04 08:15 AM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
Nina Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Here's something I always found helpful with "complicated" key signatures.

It's actually EASIER to play the black notes! Truly, they're so conveniently located. Try playing a D major scale, then play the C major scale. Isn't the D major scale actually easier to play? That F# and C# are so conveniently located right underneath your fingers? In C major, you have no "landmarks" to follow, nothing irregular to ground you or spring from.

I think we all freak out when we see all those sharps and flats but honestly, they're just notes, and I really do find that most of those key sigs (but not all) are actually easier to play than C major. Don't be fooled, and don't get into the habit of freaking out at complicated key signatures, because it will be a pain forever if you do.

One big tip: when you're learning a new piece, play the scales for that key signature a couple of times before you start to play the piece. That will help get your fingers ready for the sharps or flats. I find that really helps me.

#995456 - 11/22/04 03:40 PM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
ragtimebg Offline

Loc: California
keys with lots of sharps and flats are harder to read and get right the first time through (for me, at least, who never gets anything right the first time through)...but by and large they do play easier than C--I've tried to play the Maple Leaf rag in G, instead of A flat...no way..

#995457 - 11/27/04 12:59 PM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
pianafetish Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
i have a tip for you: go to MSN.com and type in 'Virtual Piano Chords' and go to one of their many websites if you want to know where certain keys [chords] are located on the piano.

#995458 - 11/27/04 01:04 PM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
Lightnin Offline

#995459 - 11/27/04 01:11 PM Re: Key of "F" Sharp
pianafetish Offline

Loc: Greenville, NC
thank you, Lightnin'. that's EXACTLY what i was talking about.

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
121 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, a-z0-9, 36251, 35 invisible), 1422 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75602 Members
42 Forums
156321 Topics
2295834 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital 35 --- Call For Submissions
by AB Forum Recital
07/31/14 10:17 PM
Hoping for some suggestions/starting point for home keyboard
by Kubla
07/31/14 10:00 PM
Brass
by Retsacnal
07/31/14 09:28 PM
Old Wurlitzer (circa 1940s) baby grand, Worth Picking Up?
by Paul678
07/31/14 07:31 PM
Piano software without sheet music
by OneSixty
07/31/14 06:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission