Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#995822 - 11/16/04 11:31 AM Optimal Practice Time
rnewcomb Offline

Loc: Denver
Greetings -
I am just in my 2nd week of learning the piano (teaching myself with internet course). I already have a fairly solid background of music theory and note recognition due to years of music courses in my youth. It is definately frustrating in seeing and knowing the notes/chords but not having the coordination to transfer it to my fingers!
Anyway what is a standard recommendation for practice time. I just read the book on practicing piano (very dry but informative) and I find I am not too far from the suggestions. I practice 2x per day for about 30-40 minutes each session. I spend about 10-15 minutes on scales and chord progressions, 10-15 minutes on learning a simple tune and 10-15 minutes just playing with my electronic keyboard.
I must admit I am having a great time and will probably not change my habits too much but it would be interesting for me to learn what a real teacher would suggest.

Thanks

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#995823 - 11/16/04 12:45 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
Lightnin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rnewcomb:
It is definately frustrating in seeing and knowing the notes/chords but not having the coordination to transfer it to my fingers!
[/b]
I'm a beginner too, one year so far. It may not be obvious at first that the main trick is to practice playing it correctly, which obviously means very slowly at first.... Much slower than seems reasonable... even slower than that... Maybe as slow as your metronome will go, in your second week. Pick one measure at a time to play many times, and get it right. Slow enough that your fingers and brain can in fact actually get it right, and can demonstrate getting it right, many times. Dont practice playing it wrong, no future in that. If you cant play it right, then the meaning is that the practice is too fast for you.

When you get the whole piece correct, keep playing it slow and correct. The entire whole idea of practice is to practice getting it right, many times right, instead of to just practice messing it up. The point is that it just becomes second nature to play it correctly. As you improve, this takes less and less time. Hang in there, it will come, sooner than you might imagine.

#995824 - 11/16/04 12:55 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
Lightnin Offline

[

#995825 - 11/16/04 01:15 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
Rodney Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Caledon ON, Canada
I play between 1.5 - 2 hours a day

I had to give up almost all television time (what a waste of life) and have never looked back!! ;-)

Rodney

#995826 - 11/16/04 03:24 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
rnewcomb: welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are really on top of things. I didn't realize you could take lessons online. How does the instructor listen to you? Do you send them a MIDI or MP3 and then they evaluate you? I think if you are able to practice every day 1-1.5 hours you will progress very quickly. My only concern would be the development of bad habits as a result of no interaction with a teacher. IMHO...
Good luck and let us know how you progress.
Jon

#995827 - 11/16/04 06:00 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
rnewcomb Offline

Loc: Denver
Thanks for the feedback all. Yes, interaction and feedback on habits will surely slow things down for me with the online instruction as there is no human interface. I do go slow and learn each simple piece with HS and then HT and after 1st week I decided not to use the metronome (couldn't keep up at about 40 bpm). I guess aside from the cost of the course (hope you dont get what you paid for here) I like to be able to rewind the videos and watch the correct fingering as well as hear how the note(s) should be correctly played.
I would love to be able to tell friends and family I have been learning for 2 years but I hope this is a lifelong skill I will continue with and enjoy.

#995828 - 11/17/04 11:04 AM Re: Optimal Practice Time
Frank R Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Anaheim Hills, CA
I practice about 2 hours a day and 4+ on the weekends. OBSESSION!!!

Morning practice sticks the best for me. There are very few things that I like getting up early for. Piano is number two.

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!

#995829 - 11/17/04 12:08 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
 Quote:
Originally posted by Frank R:
There are very few things that I like getting up early for. Piano is number two. [/b]
Alright Frank, since you brought it up, what's the number one thing you like getting up early for? ;\)

#995830 - 11/17/04 12:40 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
mound Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
I was practicing 2 hours every morning.

until a week ago that is, when this little 5 pound poop machine came into my life:

\:\)

#995831 - 11/17/04 06:47 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
Frank R Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Anaheim Hills, CA
Mark,

Let's see...... I don't fish......don't golf......don't jog.......gosh, maybe it is number one!!!!

Hay Mound,

Cute little poop machine.

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!

#995832 - 11/17/04 11:28 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
AaronSF Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco
I have a full-time job, and full-time relationship, so I'm able to set aside 1 hour a day to practice, which I do religiously. I would like to practice 2-3 hours a day, but it cannot be done right now, so I have to content myself with slower progress than I would like. Patience is a definite virtue in learning piano!

#995833 - 11/18/04 04:45 AM Re: Optimal Practice Time
Kris10 Offline

Loc: Ohio
My best sessions start with a warm up. I try to start out with scales. I then grab a sight reading book and play 3-4 pieces only one time each. Then I move on to an exercise book and finally a solo. I have two very small children and my practice sessions are generally spent answering "why" questions and hopping up to get drinks or fastening pants or rescueing the dog from three year hold hands or rescueing my wall from crayon, etc., etc. I sit at the piano as long as my children will allow which is anywhere from two minutes to 1/2 hour at any one time. Sometimes I think a keyboard would not be a bad idea because then I could put on headphones and play when the kids are in bed. But that's not going to happen.

#995834 - 11/18/04 05:21 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Kris,

I have three kids, so I can only get some decent practice time in after they go to sleep and before they get up. At night, I play the piano, which doesn't seem to disturb them. In the morning, I play my keyboard so as not to wake up my wife. Even if I played the piano in the morning, that wouldn't wake up the kids. If it did, that would be more pleasant than the way I usually have to get them up.

#995835 - 11/22/04 05:48 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
All day, everyday until I fall off the bench if I could get away with it. But that wouldn't be very fair to my job, my nine animals and my hubbie. Maybe the novelty of the new piano will wear off a little in a few months! \:D

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#995836 - 11/22/04 06:18 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teachum:
All day, everyday until I fall off the bench if I could get away with it. But that wouldn't be very fair to my job, my nine animals and my hubbie. [/b]
So your priorities are in that order--piano (ideally), job, animals, and husband? ;\)

#995837 - 11/22/04 07:15 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
No - but that's kind of the order in which they demand my attention I guess!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

#995838 - 11/25/04 10:34 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
Vintagefingers Offline

Loc: SE
I started out practicing 2-3 hours a day. Now it is 1.5-2 hours. At least one hour in the morning and a few half hour sessions in the evening, time permitting. Saturday morning about 3 hours and Sunday 2 hours.

I was so impatient to learn in the beginning (about 11 months now) but this has worn off since the piano I currently have isn't satisfactory and actually has become an annoyance. The action is not very responsive on repetitive fingering with little sustain. Like one of those toys that ping. I expect when the rebuilt Chickering is complete, I will be back up to 2-3 hours daily if I have to get up an hour earlier to realize it.

#995839 - 11/25/04 10:53 PM Re: Optimal Practice Time
Jac Ang Offline

Loc: Singapore
After seeing most of you guys doing well with your time for practising.I really feel bad.I am only at Grade 2,preparing myself for theory on next March and don't have much time for practice.
Think i should pull up a bit for the exam pieces.

Sometimes life is tough and always run out of time....Have to work full time,study a degree in part time and taking piano....

I must stretch to the FULLEST!!!!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
124 registered (36251, Abby Pianoman, ajames, accordeur, 37 invisible), 1591 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75588 Members
42 Forums
156291 Topics
2295342 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin E250 1998
by sort
9 minutes 17 seconds ago
Shostakovich and Prokofiev
by Verbum mirabilis
Today at 06:01 PM
Used piano buying choices
by BrianDX
Today at 05:55 PM
You & Your Piano
by DancerJ
Today at 05:12 PM
Fun etudes?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 04:41 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission