2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#996061 01/28/08 10:12 PM
D
Doodely Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Well, I just started playing Piano (electric keyboard) about 2 weeks ago, and I have learned a whole lot since then.

I have been studying chords (I know the Majors/Aug/Minors), I can read sheet music (I stare for a few seconds to count out the letters for it).

I mean, I know (Saints, B-Day Song, Zelda Melodies, Mario Themes, Most Nintendo Themes, Mad World, Mortal Kombat)...but I want to learn atleast one classical piece of music as well smile

Though those seem nerdy, they're more or less for show to friends smile

*QUESTION*

Now my question is, if this is a good first "classical" musical piece that I should learn?
I have the intro down decently, then a little bit after the repeat...it is going decent, but looking on in the sheet music for it, I can see it will start to pick up really fast.

"I got my chords
But I dont know how to tune my piano?"
-Ignorant Person
smile
#996062 01/28/08 10:24 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yikes! You learned a lot in two weeks.

I haven't tried anything classical yet. I could probably manage the Birthday song and Saints, but just barely.

I've seen discussions about Fur Elise here, and there's a debate about whether beginners should even try it. I say, if you don't think it's too hard, go for it. It will definitely impress your friends if you learn it well.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
#996063 01/28/08 10:25 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
for the whole piece, yes, it's too difficult for you now. but most people starting out will do its 1st page (till the 1st repeat bar) only, which i did when i started.

basically, Fur Elise has 3 sections: ABC, with A (1st one) as the easiest. so, a lot of beginners try A first, and many don't come to section B and C until much later. i remember i learned the B and C after at least 2-3 years.

also, i don't recommend you learn to play its 1st page well, which you can't without proper techniques learned. so, if you want to learn it (section A), it's ok but don't put too much time on it because the techniques needed for mastering this piece will take long time to learn and develop and you can't expect yourself to play the 1st page well in a few weeks.

#996064 01/28/08 10:44 PM
D
Doodely Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I mean, I am not trying to brag on my learning ability.

Because I learned alot of the stuff above from watching other people; including Mad World by Gary Jules.

Only problem with that song is combining both hands...though I can do both the left hand and right hand parts...just not together.

*Sorry Off-Topic*

But I am pretty sure I could learn it somewhat decent to the second page, but when it gets to the 1/16 notes that are being played alot...I will probably lose it haha

Originally posted by signa:
...for the whole piece, yes, it's too difficult for you now. but most people starting out will do its 1st page (till the 1st repeat bar) only...
http://www.mfiles.co.uk/scores/Fur-Elise.pdf
Is the sheet music I am following, I can get right before the the line with the third Treble-Cleft.

I haven't attempted it because I can see what kind of problem this may cause me hehe, because I am self-teaching by watching/hearing/reading.

"I got my chords
-Ignorant Person
smile
#996065 01/28/08 10:45 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Playing for two weeks is nowhere near enough required to attempt this piece.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
#996066 01/28/08 10:55 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Much too difficult with only two weeks under your belt. The first part, as you have experienced, is relatively easy, as there's a lot of repetition. When you come to the 2nd and 3rd parts, however, its going to be signficantly harder (particularly, if you want to play it correctly). Its probably a good idea to avoid the frustration associated with playing something far too difficult, at least, at this early juncture.

One thing you might consider as an alternative is to visit your local music store and browse through some beginner type books, focusing on classical pieces. I'll warn you ahead of time that they won't sound nearly as interesting, as they've been edited (watered down) quite a bit, as to make it easier to play for the beginner.

Here's one example of what I'm talking about. Faber & Faber Funtime Classics book . This one is a Level 3, but they have different levels (of difficulty).

#996067 01/28/08 10:58 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Doodely:
I mean, I am not trying to brag on my learning ability.

Because I learned alot of the stuff above from watching other people; including Mad World by Gary Jules.

Only problem with that song is combining both hands...though I can do both the left hand and right hand parts...just not together.

*Sorry Off-Topic*

But I am pretty sure I could learn it somewhat decent to the second page, but when it gets to the 1/16 notes that are being played alot...I will probably lose it haha

Originally posted by signa:
[b] ...for the whole piece, yes, it's too difficult for you now. but most people starting out will do its 1st page (till the 1st repeat bar) only...
http://www.mfiles.co.uk/scores/Fur-Elise.pdf
Is the sheet music I am following, I can get right before the the line with the third Treble-Cleft.

I haven't attempted it because I can see what kind of problem this may cause me hehe, because I am self-teaching by watching/hearing/reading. [/b]
sorry, my mistake. i meant 'until the 2nd repeat double bar' (bar 1-20 or 21 on 1st page), which was what i learned first. don't even try anything beyond that, you'd get too frustrated trying even if you want to.

also, playing HS doesn't help with playing HT. so no matter how well you can play on each hand, playing with both hands (HT) is a totally different thing. if you want to play HT, then try HT after you can play HS for each passage. the key is to coooperate both hands by each 'beat' group (i.e. the vertical notes group for both hands), and go slowly beat by beat like that until you get it. i hate to say it, but many people (beginners) have misconception about playing HT and think that if they can play a passage HS, then they can do it HT. NOT SO! in order to play HT, you try HT. that's the key to succeed in doing that!

#996068 01/29/08 01:22 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
You could do what I'm doing: Learn an easy piano version of Für Elise. Yes, the music will be simplified but that doesn't mean it's not an impressive accomplishment for a beginner. I'd rather play a simplified arrangement well than mangle the real thing.

At my teacher's recommendation, I'm using this particular Hal Leonard Easy Piano Solo version . My teacher prefers it because it's easy enough for a beginner, is well arranged on the page, and sounds great.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
#996069 01/30/08 08:38 AM
C
C
My teacher thinks its good to learn at least 'part' of the real thing. The first part (the part most people can hum to) is the easier part.

If you can get the first part down with out looking and play it really smoothly you can either stop or attempt going for the 2nd part. The first part is the part most people know anyways. The 2nd... not so much..

P.S. I've played a total of 5 months over the past year and felt really ashamed playing Fur Elise at my last recital since its a 'really easy' classical piece 'everyone' knows. I played the whole thing almost perfect with a few mistakes with the cords after the repeating A notes (only because I forgot/never practiced the part after you go from A to Bb... Everyone said I did really good and my fingers 'where flying over the keys' but I sometimes think they are just saying that. Can someone tell me why I feel this way? I have practiced Fur Elise to the point of being sick of it.

**off topic** What would be something that is classical around the same difficulty as Fur Elise I could play for my recital... or at least something worth learning... would Scott Joplin be out of the question? I don't want to play simplified rags, if I'm going to play it I want it original. If Scott Joplin, anyone recommend a certain editor/book?

PP.S. As I think about it, I enjoy playing Fur Elise 500% more when I play it in public.. Guess I seek the attention. smile

PPP.S. But what if they don't like Fur Elise because its over played, because you and everyones grandmother has played it... Oh my... I feel the deep melancholic and enigmatic thoughts now..

#996070 01/30/08 09:06 AM
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Well Chris, you feel that way because...

Ever notice when playing scales, say, you are at 60 BPM, and 120 seems like rocket speed? Then, over time, you work up to 120, and 240 seems like rocket speed?

The speed you can play at is normal for you, you muscles and brain and fingers know what to do, little thought-control on your part...it's normal.

Others see it and are amazed. I practiced tremelos on the guitar for months getting them smooth and even, very slowly, speeding up a little at a time.

A buddy who also plays and I were talking about them, and I told him about my frustration at how slow I had to go the keep even. I played for him, and he was shocked at how fast I was. I just did not know it.

Ain't it fun to be really good and not be aware of it???

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
#996071 01/30/08 03:30 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Everyone said I did really good and my fingers 'where flying over the keys' but I sometimes think they are just saying that. Can someone tell me why I feel this way?
I'm of the same opinion that people who come to recitals are going to be overly generous with their compliments, very much the same as if you invited to dinner at someones house and made the comment to the host, "Everything looks (tastes) wonderful," even though that is what you might not really be thinking.

This is not a criticism, but I think if you played the same piece for admission at Juilliard, you'd receive some critical comments on parts you thought were played flawlessly.

It just depends on the audience.

#996072 01/30/08 04:09 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm at the same "place". I can play the simplified, first part of Fur Elise, but the second kicks my @$$. So I'm off to other things for awhile. I'll be back.

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good
#996073 01/30/08 04:34 PM
Z
Z
i've been teaching myself piano for about three weeks so i know where you're at.

honestly you need to be a little more realistic about your playing ability. if you can't play with two hands yet you need to do some exercises and very basic peices to start with. it won't take long for you to move on. right now i'm working on some of Mozart's early minuets. I would try some of those. just took me a couple of days to get them down...

i personally believe that if you practice meaningfully then you will move on quickly, but you need to develop good habits to start with.

#996074 01/30/08 04:36 PM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Mad World is a beautiful piece of music. Its a bit tricky though.

#996075 01/30/08 09:01 PM
D
Doodely Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Oh I have it's timing good Mark...

But I don't have it's sheet music, so I am guessing what to do/what timing is on both hands after the ignitial second part of the intro. Which is what is screwing me up

"I got my chords
-Ignorant Person
smile
#996076 02/01/08 04:38 AM
If you REALLY like Fur Elise, then play all parts over and over again, but make sure to use the suggested fingering. I think it is an excellent first classical piece to learn. It was my first one too. It is very exciting and not boring, so it keeps you focused and learning. But WATCH the fingering.

2002 Steinway M

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission