Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#997868 - 08/17/04 10:17 PM New teacher & piano shopping
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Over a month ago I mentioned I needed a new teacher because the one I had hated theory, and I started to lose inspiration. I also found her grand piano to have a heavy touch which I didn't like. Also, since I finished all three quarters of the Adult Group Piano classes at the college, I was ready to start anew.

Tonight was my second lesson with my new teacher and she's great! She loves the fact that I want to understand theory better. (My first lesson last week went very fast since I took "all" of my books I had collected, so we went through them and discussed our goals.) Tonight I had a wonderful lesson in technique, playing musically - flowing motion and relaxation. I had been playing so "mechanically", especially with my scales and arpeggios, but she showed me how to use fluid motions. My speed and smoothness improved right there on the spot! That really shocked me that I could play so fast!

I am re-inspired again! \:D

I also love how her Yamaha C3 plays. It's so smooth, responds so well and is voiced so beautifully. Those who think that Yamaha is too bright would not think that of this piano.

I have been looking at grand pianos the last couple of weeks. Yes, I just got my upright in January, but I love playing on a grand! I'm partial to Yamahas, but want to go through the fun part of piano shopping and give all makes a chance. So far I've tried Pleyel, Schimmel, Boesendorfer, Knabe, Petrof, Schulze Pollmann, Estonia, Yamaha, Kawai, Charles Walter, M & H, Bechstein, Nordiska and Bluthner. I still need to try the Steinway and Boston (I know it's a pricier Kawai), and head to Seattle to try their selection. Of course I'll have to go to all the stores a second time and play on all their pianos again - ugh! ;\)

It's amazing what a wonderful teacher with a great piano can do for one's inspiration and enthusiasm!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#997869 - 08/18/04 09:41 AM Re: New teacher & piano shopping
jdsher Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Plano, Texas
Sleepingcats: It is amazing what a great instructor can do for your confidence and your ability. Glad to hear you've found a good one. You've tried a lot of different awesome pianos. How about a little feedback on what you like so far. Here's to the hunt.
Jon

#997870 - 08/18/04 09:42 AM Re: New teacher & piano shopping
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles County
Wow! I am excited for you! Sounds like you have had a great experience so far with your new teacher. It is clear you are motivated and excited. Wonderful! \:\)

Good luck on your search for a grand. Wish I had the space for one myself. Oh well. I do love my upright, though! In any case, have a fun search, sleepingcats.

#997871 - 08/18/04 02:12 PM Re: New teacher & piano shopping
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Thanks for the encouragement!

I don't have a lot of experiene playing on grands, nor do I have the experienced ear as many others do - I just know what I liked the as far as sound and touch. I'm not to the point of being able to discern every nuance of a piano, but I'm learning a lot with Larry Fine's book. Of course I know that each piano is different depending on regulation, voicing, etc.

Having said that, my favorites were the Yamaha, Kawai, M & H, Schimmel and Boesendorfer. I won't name specific models yet until I narrow my list further and go back for 2nd/3rd tries. I will say that I'm looking in the 6'-7' range. I'm trying to find other music to take with me that will enable me to test more of the subtleties. I will take it slow and enjoy! \:\)

#997872 - 08/18/04 03:23 PM Re: New teacher & piano shopping
teachum Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: idaho
Have fun, SLeeping Cats! I played a Yamaha C3 with my teacher a couple of weeks ago and I liked it much better than C2s. I'm sure you will find a wonderful piano to match your wonderful new teacher. I come away from my lessons kind of in a daze and can't wait to get home and work on all the things we've talked about.

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (AZ_Astro, Alux, AZNpiano, 23 invisible), 1027 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75968 Members
42 Forums
157103 Topics
2307254 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning the 7th octave
by AaronM
08/28/14 01:29 AM
Some Swan Lake
by harpon
08/28/14 12:53 AM
What makes a piano sound honky-tonk?
by harpon
08/28/14 12:31 AM
Casio Px 110 vs 150 for Pianoteq + action
by Dwscamel
08/28/14 12:10 AM
How much to Move a piano from Tucson, AZ, to New York?
by Paul678
08/27/14 10:43 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission