2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Over a month ago I mentioned I needed a new teacher because the one I had hated theory, and I started to lose inspiration. I also found her grand piano to have a heavy touch which I didn't like. Also, since I finished all three quarters of the Adult Group Piano classes at the college, I was ready to start anew.

Tonight was my second lesson with my new teacher and she's great! She loves the fact that I want to understand theory better. (My first lesson last week went very fast since I took "all" of my books I had collected, so we went through them and discussed our goals.) Tonight I had a wonderful lesson in technique, playing musically - flowing motion and relaxation. I had been playing so "mechanically", especially with my scales and arpeggios, but she showed me how to use fluid motions. My speed and smoothness improved right there on the spot! That really shocked me that I could play so fast!

I am re-inspired again! laugh

I also love how her Yamaha C3 plays. It's so smooth, responds so well and is voiced so beautifully. Those who think that Yamaha is too bright would not think that of this piano.

I have been looking at grand pianos the last couple of weeks. Yes, I just got my upright in January, but I love playing on a grand! I'm partial to Yamahas, but want to go through the fun part of piano shopping and give all makes a chance. So far I've tried Pleyel, Schimmel, Boesendorfer, Knabe, Petrof, Schulze Pollmann, Estonia, Yamaha, Kawai, Charles Walter, M & H, Bechstein, Nordiska and Bluthner. I still need to try the Steinway and Boston (I know it's a pricier Kawai), and head to Seattle to try their selection. Of course I'll have to go to all the stores a second time and play on all their pianos again - ugh! wink

It's amazing what a wonderful teacher with a great piano can do for one's inspiration and enthusiasm!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Sleepingcats: It is amazing what a great instructor can do for your confidence and your ability. Glad to hear you've found a good one. You've tried a lot of different awesome pianos. How about a little feedback on what you like so far. Here's to the hunt. yippie
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow! I am excited for you! Sounds like you have had a great experience so far with your new teacher. It is clear you are motivated and excited. Wonderful! smile

Good luck on your search for a grand. Wish I had the space for one myself. Oh well. I do love my upright, though! In any case, have a fun search, sleepingcats.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for the encouragement!

I don't have a lot of experiene playing on grands, nor do I have the experienced ear as many others do - I just know what I liked the as far as sound and touch. I'm not to the point of being able to discern every nuance of a piano, but I'm learning a lot with Larry Fine's book. Of course I know that each piano is different depending on regulation, voicing, etc.

Having said that, my favorites were the Yamaha, Kawai, M & H, Schimmel and Boesendorfer. I won't name specific models yet until I narrow my list further and go back for 2nd/3rd tries. I will say that I'm looking in the 6'-7' range. I'm trying to find other music to take with me that will enable me to test more of the subtleties. I will take it slow and enjoy! smile

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Have fun, SLeeping Cats! I played a Yamaha C3 with my teacher a couple of weeks ago and I liked it much better than C2s. I'm sure you will find a wonderful piano to match your wonderful new teacher. I come away from my lessons kind of in a daze and can't wait to get home and work on all the things we've talked about.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission