Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#997884 - 04/16/08 10:58 PM NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

Loc: The Netherland
Hello all,

For those that remember I used to be more active on this forum about 2 years ago. A number of things have happened, both profesionally and personally that have turned me away from the piano. However, it was always there, and at least a couple of times a week I would play a bit.

Now I'm in NYC from a couple of months, and I do miss my piano. It is amazing. Yesterday I walked past the Steinway Hall, but I was shy to walk in. I saw myself playing twinkle twinkle little star on this $200K Piano...

Now I am planning to see if I can join the Steinway factory tour. Did anyone do that ? I'm not sure if one needs to be a group or not.

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#997885 - 04/16/08 11:03 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hey, Laurens, good to hear from you again! I know that there have been PW groups who have done the Steinway tour. I'm not sure if you can do it individually or not. Certainly worth a phone call.

And you shouldn't feel shy about walking into Steinway Hall. I gather they are used to LOTS of people dropping in at ALL levels of ability. \:\)

#997886 - 04/17/08 12:50 AM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
hotkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massapequa, NY
Greetings and welcome to New York Laurens,

Too bad you could not connect with CC2 at the recent piano party last week on Long Island. Plenty of food and piano playing.

There are piano shops on West 58th St. We had a party on the block in January to celebrate Pique's book entitled "Grand Obsession" (which I am reading for the third time).

As far as the Steinway tours go, they are usually on Monday and Tuesday of a given week. Hopefully one will be put together this year and I plan to sign up. I expect that to occur in June if it occurs.

- Mark

#997887 - 04/17/08 10:01 AM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Just called Steinway and they are fully booked for the next comming months (no tours June through August), so the next ones are in September again. Maybe something for my next trip then.

I will check out the piano shops on 58th ! Maybe when they are really busy I will dare to go in \:\) .

#997888 - 04/17/08 11:49 AM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

By the way, do I understand correctly I need to get myself a copy of "Grand Obsession" ?

#997889 - 04/18/08 01:33 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
mannyk Offline

Loc: New York
Laurens-

If you don't mind playing on digital pianos, there is a SamAsh on 48th between 6th and 7th with lots of keyboards and not so much traffic during the day. I work across the street and go there many days at lunch time to get some practice time in (as i don't have many other opportunities to play). Not as nice on playing on a Steinway but better than not playing at all.

#997890 - 04/20/08 02:47 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

mannyk, thats a good one. Its not that far from where I am staying. I have a digital myself, so no I do not mind. Do they have headsets and staff that let you just play ?

#997891 - 04/21/08 11:44 AM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
mannyk Offline

Loc: New York
Typically no headsets but they have a sign on the front door that reads "Come on in and play" and they actually mean it. I've sat there for close to an hour playing sometimes (there are a few keyboards in the back of the store where you don't get lots of foot traffic).

#997892 - 04/21/08 01:44 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Groton, NH
Laurens, there's also a studio (for act/dance/music rehearsals) on 18th Street called "Cap21". Although the pianos are consoles, if you're really itching to practice it's a possibility. They rent rooms by the hour from $20-? depending on the room size.

I work just a few blocks from there and I used to occasionally rent a studio during my lunch hour. It felt great to break up the day like that.

You might check them out at http://www.cap21.org/studio.htm (select "Studio Rental" and scroll down to see their layout and prices).

You say you are here for a couple of months? Perhaps we might get some NYers together for a meet up? What do you think?

#997893 - 04/26/08 07:14 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

I got my piano fix today. I followed mannyk's advice and went to SamAsh. I played there without annoying salesmen and had fun. The only drawback is that indeed there are no headsets, so you can hear everyone playing and even worse, everyone heared me... Months and months without playing SHOW! (and of course I didnt have my music with me).

Bernard, a meething sounds like fun, although after hearing myself today I wont play \:\) . I'm leaving again in about a months though. I should have come here earlier!

#997894 - 04/28/08 11:35 AM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Great Laurens!

So I'm stirring up some interest in the possibility of going out for dinner some evening. Here's an exciting tidbit: pique, the author of "Grand Obsession" is coming to town and if we get together sometime between the 7th and 10th of May, she can join us!

So what do you think? Are any of those days good for dinner?

Other NYers interested? (I'll start a new thread when the particulars solidify a little.)

#997895 - 04/28/08 02:20 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
carpediem Offline

Loc: Midwest
Here's one more thought for those needing a piano fix without having one readily available (maybe you're traveling or just haven't gotten one yet). Here in Chicago the main public library has practice rooms where you can sign up to play in 30 minute blocks. You can go longer if no one else is signed in after you. I bet the libraries in other big cities have this too.

#997896 - 04/28/08 04:18 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

I'll better start reading then! (I love amazon 2nd day delivery).

#997897 - 04/29/08 10:08 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Larens, how about the 10th--it's a Saturday--pique's doing a reading, book signing and performances from 3 to 4:30pm on W.70th Street (see Grand Obsession Updates ).

Pique says she can go out for drink, dinner and coffee afterwards.

#997898 - 04/30/08 05:58 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

Bernard, that sounds very interesting ! I hope more people from the forum can join ?!

#997899 - 05/07/08 09:41 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Laurens, see you Saturday?

#997900 - 05/07/08 10:17 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
BlahBlahBlahh Offline

Loc: New York, New York
Hi Laurens - you just missed the Steinway tours that were hosted every day last week by the Steinway Hall. I went on the tour and it was quite informative though watching the film "Note By Note" will be almost the same (minus the dust and the noise). The factory was actually much less dusty than I had thought -- it was very organized and overall quite pleasant though it was clear to me that I was in a manufacturing facility. I met some people that were in this movie during my tour there. When you do go on the tour, just make sure you have your breakfast beforehand and wear comfortable shoes since there is quite a bit of walking and stair-climbing. \:D

#997901 - 05/08/08 09:42 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

Ooh Blablah, dont tell me I could have joined... Oh well, it will be for another time then. I searched the net for the "Note by Note", and it looks interesting and will pick it up when I find it. (Amazon doesnt carry it).

Bernand, I love to come Saterday. Will I be the only one ?? (havent finished the book yet... dont tell anyone!)

#997902 - 05/09/08 12:14 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
jasperkeys Offline

Loc: Safford, AZ
Wow, Laurens. Good for you! New York City, the picante sauce capital of the world. Just teasin' but what a wonderful place. Yes, go to the Steinway Hall, go to the back; there are pianos everywhere and play away. I got a big kick out of that. I'm sure the people there have heard worse and better so I felt good about playing at least a little bit on these great pianos.

New York City, though. The sausage dogs from the street vendors, the Art Deco architecture, the plays, the museums, the diversity of cultures; nobody's strange, not even us. I really love it. I hope you have a good time.

#997903 - 05/12/08 09:44 AM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Bernard Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Laurens, It was delightful to meet you, I'm glad we had the opportunity to meet up.

The Amateur Classical Musician's Association looks pretty cool and I think I may go to their next meeting.

Pique, your reading was great as always.

Have a safe trip back to The Netherlands, Laurens.

#997904 - 05/20/08 11:43 AM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
Laurens Offline

Bernand, I had a great time, and thank you for everything. I almost finished Pique's book and loving it.

#997905 - 05/20/08 04:24 PM Re: NY stay, havent touched a piano in month
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member

hi, laurens!

it was wonderful meeting you. thank you (and bernard) for coming to the event on saturday. i hope we may meet again when you are back in the states.

glad you are enjoying the book! \:\)

now in paperback:

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
84 registered (angga888, Atrys, AndrewJCW, Art_Vandelay, a-z0-9, 22 invisible), 1170 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75569 Members
42 Forums
156242 Topics
2294621 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will a Damp-Chaser fill in the cracks in a sound-board?
by Paul678
Today at 12:36 AM
The Mason & Hamlin Tension Resonator: Help or Hype???
by Paul678
Today at 12:06 AM
What piano do i have?
by allana
Yesterday at 11:43 PM
Moving to Intermediate Level
by Gisele
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
Mixer
by doremi
Yesterday at 10:48 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission