Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
135 registered (BabyCat, Anita Potter, AZNpiano, Auver, 47 invisible), 1424 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#998240 - 11/29/04 07:40 AM Expectations
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Anyone else hearing “So how many Christmas songs can you play?” or Can you play _____ or “Now that you’ve been taking lessons for 3 years I guess you can pick up a piece of music that you know and just play”!…..

My non-piano/musical friends/family, although quite impressed that I’ve kept up lessons at my age (47) for over 3 years, seem to think that it doesn’t take that long to “just play” I’m a little discouraged by this, although I’m loving learning and have come to expect the 4-6 weeks it takes me to learn a new classical piece, I feel a little pressured to be playing more contemporary or at least seasonal music. Anyone else out there experiencing this?

I spend so much time on my lesson pieces and studies that I’m not spending much time except for trying to sight read – which is discouraging – Christmas

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#998241 - 11/29/04 08:16 AM Re: Expectations
apple* Offline

Loc: Kansas
I sure would love to visit Nova Scotia. I've been playing off and on my whole life.. I'm 48 and have started taking lessons again after 32 yrs. My goal this year is to prepare 10 things to play ... there is not a single thing I can sit down and play perfectly.. My problem is that as soon as I start to conquer a piece I feel like I need to learn something else.

anyway... you are not alone.

I read about building a repertoire.. noting the pieces you have learned and running thru them regularly to keep them up.. I don't do that, but I should. \:D

I can play seasonal music without a problem.. the pieces are usually easy.. In November I get out my Christmas favorites and review them, just in case anyone asks me to play... they never do, but I am kind of ready, if they don't mind a few mistakes.

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

#998242 - 11/29/04 08:16 AM Re: Expectations
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Sandy,if you'd like to be able to play some simple contemporary music, including Christmas stuff, I recommend you get the book "How to Play Popular Piano in 10 Easy Lessons" by Howard Monath. It's really geared toward learning LH chords/RH melody and is suitable for satisfying friends and relatives who want to recognize what you're playing. Since you've been taking lessons for three years, it should be pretty easy and shouldn't take too much time away from your normal practice.

There are probably similar books, such as How to Play From a Fake Book, but I have the Monath book and found it to be pretty decent.

#998243 - 11/29/04 08:16 AM Re: Expectations
Cindysphinx Offline

Loc: Washington D.C. Metro
Hi, Sandy,

Yes, yes, I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been at it for over 5 years, and people do expect you to be able to throw down a popular piece upon request. I've been pressured to sight read ("Hey, how about you play while we sing some James Taylor?") and people are surprised that I could never do that.

It's frustrating, because people don't necessarily expect you to display your skills at something else you might be learning. I'm also learning tennis, yet no one expects me to serve like Venus Williams. But they expect me to play piano like we're in a piano bar.

One thing that has helped with that is trying to have 2-3 finished pieces in my fingers and memorized to whip out upon request. I might not be playing what they expect me to play, but I am playing something that sounds like something. Alas, doing this might require you to work on "bigger" classical pieces a bit less, so it might not be worth it to you.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post...QvjrL_blog.html

#998244 - 11/29/04 08:33 AM Re: Expectations
Bob Muir Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lakewood, WA, USA
Sorry if the following is a bit rambling, but it's the best I can do this early in the morning. ;\)

"Anyone else out there experiencing this?"

I'm not. My in-laws are just amazed I can play anything at all on their POS upright in the sitting room. \:\)

"I spend so much time on my lesson pieces and studies that I’m not spending much time except for trying to sight read"

It's all a matter of priorities and what you want to be able to play and when. One of my goals is to eventually be able to play a dozen or so popular and Christmas songs from memory. Another is to be able to sight read simple block chorded pop songs.

While I enjoy playing classical, the Rach 3 is never going to be in my repertoire so my goal there is to learn only the pieces that I sincerely love that are doable.

To meet my goals, at this time of year, I'm limiting my classical work to a couple of pieces (the Fur Elise that I started in September and the Scarlatti K32). Starting in October I focus on learning two Christmas songs at a time. The first two I learned this year were "Christmas Time is Here" and "Do you Hear what I Hear"; two of my favorites. I'm now working on very, very challenging arrangements of "I Wonder as I Wander" and "Oh Holy Night".

I spend about 20 minutes on each piece a day. Sometimes I have to skip a day on a particular piece and sometimes I can spend two or three 20 minute sessions on different sections of a piece. If I had less time available for practice, I would focus on one classical piece and one Christmas carol.

If learning Christmas music isn't one of your goals and you just want to be able to sight read them, then explain that to your friends/family. In three years, you should have at least two or three solid classical pieces in your repertoire though. If you don't, then I would recommend memorizing several pieces so you have something to play at any given time.

"seem to think that it doesn’t take that long to “just play” I’m a little discouraged by this"

Don't be discouraged. Can they "just play" the music??? If not, then you're still ahead of them. If they can, then they've probably been playing since they were a child. Playing by ear or even from a fake book is NOT easy and it takes quite a while to be proficient at it. And even then, it has to be one of your goals and you have to focus time on acquiring those skills.

#998245 - 11/29/04 12:28 PM Re: Expectations
SAnnM AB-2001 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Thanks! It's nice to hear that others are in the same position. I like the idea of right hand melody and left hand chords only. I'm not too bad with sightreading the right hand melody (easy stuff)and familiar enough with the chords to probably "fake" it.

Another problem I have is that I'm still nervous to play for others and so yet another challenge is to get over that!! I think I've waited too long to "show off." Now they'll expect more..... Maybe I'll take a turn with my 11 and 13 year old neices over the holidays - funny no one expects THEM to play requests "off the cuff" --- and they've been playing longer.... (I do have 4 or 5 short classical pieces in my current repertoire - I've learned dozens but 4 or 5 seems to be all that I can keep in memory - the others require a couple hours or more to "refresh."

Boy this piano stuff is much harder than I thought it was going to be 4 years ago! Still loving it though..... (currently finishing my first 4 page Minuet! - Beethoven - from Sonata Opus 42, No. 2)

#998246 - 12/03/04 11:07 PM Re: Expectations
bachophile Offline
500 Post Club Member

apple said
 Quote:
I've been playing off and on my whole life.. I'm 48 and have started taking lessons again after 32 yrs. My goal this year is to prepare 10 things to play ... there is not a single thing I can sit down and play perfectly.. My problem is that as soon as I start to conquer a piece I feel like I need to learn something else.[/b]
the most wonderful thing about this forum is seeing how many people have the exact same sentiments...(except im 46..so i have 2 years on u...)

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lester Betsy Ross Spinet- worth?
by cobalt60
12/19/14 08:22 PM
How deep into the tuning hammer should pin go?
by JoeThePro
12/19/14 07:37 PM
The friction, blubbering, and lost motion are eradicated!
by music32
12/19/14 07:15 PM
Merry Christmas
by MusicaMusique
12/19/14 06:45 PM
Problems with the forum
by Peter071
12/19/14 06:34 PM
Forum Stats
77362 Members
42 Forums
160001 Topics
2349612 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission