2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Ok, it's time for a new, fun idea.

How about we all submit any one of our songs to be "encapsuled" in a 2006 "time capsule" Thread?

Heres how it might work:

Everyone is asked to submit any ONE song that they choose to be included as representation of their piano playing abilities as of 2006.

You can submit any one piece you choose, (past recital submission, piano bar tune, or something we never heard before) as long as it is something that best represents your piano playing abilities at this time.

It does not have to be your most difficult or fancy piece but rather something that you would probably want to perform for others that was your choice.

It should be a fairly good representation of your abilities at this time however.

Sometime in mid December, (say Dec 15th), I will post a thread called "2006 ABF Time Capsule". Simply reply to the post with a link to your piece, and I will compile an updated list in the first post.

This will not be like our online recital, but rather a once a year display of our members best work for that year; kind of a "best of" listing.

Possibly consider it to be an "audio-avatar" of sorts. Anyone can click on your link and get a sampling of your abilities at this time. Of course we will include the basics like members user names and how long they have been playing

Remember, this is not another new recital. I would expect most of us to submit something we have all heard before, however, if you have something new, and you feel it represents your current performance level best, then by all means...submit that!

If you don't mind, I would like some feedback, comments, suggestions, any thoughts you may have. This could be a lot of fun, especially if we can keep it going for many years.......

Kinda like a remember when thing! thumb

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
great idea! thumb

LET THE ADULT BEGINERS OF 2006 BE EVERY REMEMBERED!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Whooo hooooo!!! thumb I was waiting for this thread S-H laugh

I think this is a fabulous idea to have an ABF Time capsule. A place where we can compare our music year over year to see how we're improving.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I really like calling it the time capsule, as that takes some of the pressure off of feeling that it has to be some high level of playing.

Good idea, as always, super-hunky! thumb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mr SH always comes up with very interesting idea. thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm in!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Me too.

But I just don't understand how someone who majored in diving in college can come up with so many great ideas.

laugh

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I love this idea. In fact, I think I'm going to steal it and record a time capsule of my own children as they progress in their playing. Now that I have Audacity on my laptop, recording is so easy that I'm finding tons of uses for it.

Did S-H really major in diving? Ouch. I think I'd avoid a major where doing poorly on a test would involve physical pain.

Nancy

Estonia 168
I wonder where ABF without Hunky and his ideas would be. smile
Thats really wonderful idea!
However, I just finished piece from Thompsons Piano Study Long, long ago and am currently working on Silent Night - these songs are probably too simple?

ex - pian00b
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by pian00b:
I wonder where ABF without Hunky and his ideas would be. smile
Thats really wonderful idea!
However, I just finished piece from Thompsons Piano Study Long, long ago and am currently working on Silent Night - these songs are probably too simple?
Pian00b,

No.

There is no such thing as "too simple".

Anything you that you can play would be wonderful.

Please don't hesitate to post your performance.

Thanks very much.

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm in! I think it would be nice to also briefly explain why you chose your particular piece. I have one in particular that I've been working on FOREVER!!!! and my teacher still isn't ready for me to drop it which is ok - it's one of those that has a bit of everything in it and is teaching me a lot. Even though it isn't the prettiest piece I've ever played, it's fun to play, very interesting and has been quite a challenge for me. I think it's one I'd like to "time-capsule."

It's the journey not the destination..
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So if I want to feel good about next year I have to set the foundation properly this year.

I'll have to pick something easy, maybe even throw in a few clunkers.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Thanks Mel, your words really made my day!
Thats why I like this place, even us ˝ultra beginners˝ are welcome!
I will participate, altough I have problems with recording. Can you suggest me how to record, because my digital piano is far away from computer. Maybe with one of those small mp3 players and recorders?
And, I have one more question: Is allowed to add a little strings to it (because I love the sound of strings) or should I record onl piano?

Thanks

ex - pian00b
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Pian00b: I would love to hear the strings feature on your piano in the capsul. If strings is something you love and want to be remebered for, I say go for it. Personnally, I haven't done any songs with the need to use strings.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sounds good to me! I think it may actually be a good thing to sit back and listen to where we all are now, and maybe compare to where I personally was a year ago- hopefully that would be an improved position.... laugh

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Everyone:

So far, some good suggestions. There really are no rules as long as you submit something that really displays what you have accomplished at this point in time.

If your on a digital and you are really proud of something that has some background sounds (strings, violin, whatever), thats okay too; just don't make it a "cut and splice" entry as that would totally deafeat the purpose.

Also, Medlies are OKAY!....as long as they are not never ending!. Should you have several songs that you want to "time Capsule", possibly consider cutting them down a bit and combining them into your own "greatest hits" type of medley.....5, 10, 15 minutes are okay, just not 2 hours worth.

BTW, Nancy, I majored in Marketing/Finance. The diving was just to keep me from getting tossed from school! wink

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Ok, it's time for a new, fun idea.

How about we all submit any one of our songs to be "encapsuled" in a 2006 "time capsule" Thread?

Heres how it might work:

Everyone is asked to submit any ONE song that they choose to be included as representation of their piano playing abilities as of 2006.

You can submit any one piece you choose, (past recital submission, piano bar tune, or something we never heard before) as long as it is something that best represents your piano playing abilities at this time.

It does not have to be your most difficult or fancy piece but rather something that you would probably want to perform for others that was your choice.

It should be a fairly good representation of your abilities at this time however.

Sometime in mid December, (say Dec 15th), I will post a thread called "2006 ABF Time Capsule". Simply reply to the post with a link to your piece, and I will compile an updated list in the first post.

This will not be like our online recital, but rather a once a year display of our members best work for that year; kind of a "best of" listing.

Possibly consider it to be an "audio-avatar" of sorts. Anyone can click on your link and get a sampling of your abilities at this time. Of course we will include the basics like members user names and how long they have been playing

Remember, this is not another new recital. I would expect most of us to submit something we have all heard before, however, if you have something new, and you feel it represents your current performance level best, then by all means...submit that!

If you don't mind, I would like some feedback, comments, suggestions, any thoughts you may have. This could be a lot of fun, especially if we can keep it going for many years.......

Kinda like a remember when thing! thumb
Great idea.
I'd like to have a copy of each of the files to store permanently on the PW servers. Please let me know when they are available so I can grab a copy.

Best,

- Frank B.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
No problem Frank, I'd be happy too.....for 5-bucks!! thumb

M
M
Originally posted by Piano World:
I'd like to have a copy of each of the files to store permanently on the PW servers.
thumb

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This sounds like fun if I can make a better quality recording than the sad one I submitted for the recital. I mean the recording itself, not the quality of my playing. That is what it is, but I'm working on it in my own strange way. At any rate, I look forward to hearing everyone else's submissions.

Hmm . . . maybe Peyton will submit his song called Time Capsule. That would be fitting. laugh

--Dennis

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission