2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Today we visited a dealer with a new August Förster, two used Steinways, a used Bechstein and a used Östlind & Almquist, an old Swedish brand.

I had my hopes set high for the August Förster as I know Larry Fine ranks them as a tier one piano but I was very disappointed. I would describe the tone as straight and with no inner life. Maybe I shouldn´t ask too much from a piano that costs only half of a new Steinway. I much prefered the Shigeru Kawai I tried at the Steinway dealer in the same price range.

I moved on to a Steinway from the 60s. The difference was evident. The Steinway had epic grandeur compared to the Förster. The impression was confirmed when I tried the second Steinway from the 20s.
I have always felt that Steinways have a nostalgic touch in the tone. Maybe it is that steely sweet tone. In fact I prefer older Steinways to new ones. It seems to me that the tone of older Steinways are sweeter and more nostalgic than new ones which I find electric and colder.

I then moved on to a 1920 Bechstein. I was full of anticipation as I hadn´t played a new or fully restored Bechstein before. Well, I was dissappointed again. The tone was cold and thin.

I didn´t expect much from the Östlind & Almquist but this one was a positive surprise. The dealer had voiced the hammers very soft. The strangest thing was that the tone was soft and sparkling at the same time. I don´t know how they achieved that. I think, however, that the tone was a bit too odd to be a serious contender.

The next stop is the Estonia factory in Tallin.
Should I set my hopes high?

“There are only two important things which I took with me on my way to America, It´s been my wife Natalja and my precious Blüthner.” – Sergei Rachmaninov

1913 Blüthner model 6
1929 Blüthner model 9.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the update, Pianastical. I had the same reaction as you did to the Forsters...for such a high-ranked (and expensive!) piano, I thought the tone was surprisingly bland.

And should you set your hopes high for the Estonias? In a word, YES! The Estonia sound can be described in a number of ways, but the terms "bland," "straight," and "no inner life" will never be among them.

And that's so exciting that you get to go to the factory! Do they give tours? If you can, bring a digital camera and ask if you can take and post some pictures here. (They'll probably say no, I predict, but it's worth asking.)

Keep us posted...

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Was that Foerster made in Germany or the Czech Republic? We may be talking about two different pianos.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Monica,

I will definitely bring a camera. We are not going for a tour but maybe they will give us one. It would be very nice if they did. The only thing I know is that they will have a selection of Estonias for us to try.

MarkS,
There are many german August Försters around in Sweden and I have no reason to believe that this one wouldn´t also be one. The dealer said he had been to the factory and that it is still managed by the same family that founded it. If I remember correctly the present manager is Ann-Katrin Förster

“There are only two important things which I took with me on my way to America, It´s been my wife Natalja and my precious Blüthner.” – Sergei Rachmaninov

1913 Blüthner model 6
1929 Blüthner model 9.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission