2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#199945 09/10/08 11:51 PM
G
OP Offline
G
DW (dear wife in RV lingo) has desired a piano for many years. We are both retired. She took some lessons about 55 years ago and would like to get back to them.

I decided she now had my vote to get a piano (not that a vote against would have mattered much). We did some looking and decided that the best bet would be an upright.

For the past year I've been trying to convince her that we should be a player unit and that the new ones were very different from the paper rolls she automatically thought about (her family had one in the 1940s) when I said "player." She has been saying NO, she wants a real piano, not something electrical.

Well, when our browsing the other day we happened to see a Samick Sig 50 with the Pianodisc. Well, when she heard it and saw the features and realized it was still a "real" piano she changed her mind.

This Samick looked like a good entry level piano (all we will ever need - I might even consider lessons as well). We then went to another dealer and saw a GP142 Pearl River that also had the Pianodisc (renumbered GD142 with the disc. This unit is about 4 inches shorter than the Samick. It also appeared to be a nice entry level piano and to our untrained ears we noticed no significant difference between the two.

The two units are being offered at identical prices - $10k Cdn with bench, Pianodisc and the package of CDs (15 or more).

From what I can see selecting one of these two is a coin toss with our knowledge. Is one of these pianos clearly superior to the other.

Thanks

GR

ps. We'd like to purchase tomorrow so quick replies would be appreciated. Should we be asking both dealers to include a semi-annual tune up for a year or two?

#199946 09/10/08 11:58 PM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
The Samick, hands down. They are actually making a decent piano. The Knabe line they make is as the the Yamahas in my opinion. The tall Knabe upright is wonderful to work on and a school work horse.

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
#199947 09/11/08 12:00 AM
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Any new piano should be tuned atleast 4 times in the first year. The tuning stability and clarity of sound depends on it.
Check the regulation after a year

Keith Roberts
Keith's Piano Service
Hathaway Pines,Ca
#199948 09/11/08 02:27 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Any new piano should be tuned atleast 4 times in the first year. The tuning stability and clarity of sound depends on it.
That's why we tune each new piano at least 2-3 times before shipping out.

I never understood why most dealers *don't*.

It may cost a bit, but makes for a much better piano in the long-run.

Plus it certainly tends to bring even *more* business....

Norbert wink

#199949 09/11/08 04:10 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Personally I would consider some other manufactures. Grands under 5' are considered in the industry as a petite grand. Persons consider these if there is a major space limitation.Anyone that can accomodate a petite can accommodate a baby grand.(5'-5'3") The difference in sound is considerable and the action geometry is also considerably better in the BG in that the keys are usually a bit longer. The price difference is usually nominal in that the larger BG is manufactured in larger numbers than the demand for petites.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
#199950 09/11/08 09:34 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Originally posted by pianobroker:
Personally I would consider some other manufactures. Grands under 5' are considered in the industry as a petite grand. Persons consider these if there is a major space limitation.Anyone that can accomodate a petite can accommodate a baby grand.(5'-5'3") The difference in sound is considerable and the action geometry is also considerably better in the BG in that the keys are usually a bit longer. The price difference is usually nominal in that the larger BG is manufactured in larger numbers than the demand for petites.
Fine. My question, however, was, is one clearly superior to the other? Can you answer that question?

GR

#199951 09/11/08 10:47 AM
S
S
Originally posted by grandriver:
Originally posted by pianobroker:
[b] Personally I would consider some other manufactures. Grands under 5' are considered in the industry as a petite grand. Persons consider these if there is a major space limitation.Anyone that can accomodate a petite can accommodate a baby grand.(5'-5'3") The difference in sound is considerable and the action geometry is also considerably better in the BG in that the keys are usually a bit longer. The price difference is usually nominal in that the larger BG is manufactured in larger numbers than the demand for petites.
Fine. My question, however, was, is one clearly superior to the other? Can you answer that question?

GR [/b]
Yes, the Samick is the better deal.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

#199952 09/11/08 03:16 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks Steve and Keith.

We did order the Samick today and provided the weather isn't too bad tomorrow it will be delivered in the morning.

More comments a little later. DW has a job jar that I have to tackle so the dining room will be clear for delivery tomorrow (we just moved and decided to do without a formal dining room since we only use it 3 or 4 times a year. This home has a very large eating area off the kitchen and it is ideal for a group of 12. So, the Samick will occupy a rather small dining room.

I found browsing the forums here the past week very helpful. We had a pool table installed yesterday and I did the same thing with pool/billiard tables and found a lot of similarities. We set out to buy a Chev (with respect to the piano) and I think that is what we are getting. We didn't want a Caddy, Merc, Lexus or Rolls since we think a piano of that nature and quality would be wasted on us. On the other hand, we didn't want a Yugo either. Hopefully we didn't buy one.

Thanks again

GR

#199953 09/11/08 11:38 PM
Hi Grandriver,

Congrats on your new piano! Please post pics when available!

#199954 09/13/08 07:57 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
4 times a year????? How many tuners agree with this?

Kenny Blankenship
Selling anything anyone will buy as the "Walmartizisation of the industry continues. (Still making a fair living and still having clients like me)
#199955 09/13/08 10:10 AM
S
S
Originally posted by Kenny Blankenship:
4 times a year????? How many tuners agree with this?
That's four times the FIRST year.

I am in perfect agreement with that.

Pre-delivery
6 weeks following delivery
~four months later
~six months later

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission