2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kacky Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I am looking for advice as we try to make a decision on two pianos. The first piano is a 1985 Yamaha C7 for $19,800. We love the big sound and the typical Yamaha action. Our biggest fear is whether the size is a problem. We would either place it in an 11 X 11 room by itself, where it would be tight, or take up about a third of our living room. The other piano is a brand new Mason & Hamlin A for $17,800. We thought the Yamaha was a pretty good price but the Mason appears to be an even better price. The size obviously would be bettter for our home; however, we are giving up a lot of size on the piano relative to the C7 even though the Mason does have a wonderful tone, rich base and very good action.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to Piano World!

Wow, that's a tough call...

I have my C7 in a 20x20 room with 10 foot ceilings; it can still be a little loud and powerful (but I like loud and powerful smile ). I would think a C7 would be rather strong and boastful in an 11x11 room. Yet, and still, I really like the C7.

The Mason & Hamlin is smaller, and may be better suited for the room. You say you like the tone of the Mason... that says a lot.

Glad I don't have to make that decision... smile

All the best.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
M
M
Tell ya, I've got a C6, not a C7, and it's in a room that's 15 x 25 and that puppy is LOUD. Note that I don't have carpeting or overstuffed furniture, nor the ceiling baffles that my piano tech wants me to install. But in an 11x11? I think it's going to be kicking the walls down.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i sold my M&A model A to buy a used C7. i loved the A, but ultimately wanted a big piano. the M&A can be quite loud too, it's a bold instrument.

you will probably need to work with the acoustics of the room and voicing the piano in either case, so be prepared for a break-in period of trial & error. i recently added a large pad & rug to my music room that has really brought the C7 under control in a room probably better suited to a smaller piano.

ps -- you should be able to negotiate a much better price for the 1985 C7, IMO.

Last edited by Entheo; 12/12/12 06:38 PM.
Online Content
I cannot imagine how a new Mason A could sell for that price. The usual selling price would be closer to twice that amount. The SMP for a Mason A is 50K so the price you quoted is around 65% off SMP which is probably below dealer wholesale cost.

I also cannot imagine either piano working in an 11x11 room unless the room really opened into other rooms with much wider than normal door openings. In that case, the space for the piano is really larger than 11x11. I think you should plan on putting either piano in your living room.

How big is your living room?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/12/12 07:39 PM.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
The M&H-A is a fine piano. Even considering its size, the bass has a rich, full sound. The price you were quoted is quite spectacular.

With the space limitations, I would tend toward the Mason. It seems that you like it too!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Does anybody else think that $20K is a lot for a 30 year old Yamaha? I do.

Regards,

Grotriman
M
M
Yeah, have a look on ebay. There are four C7's, selling for 17.5, 24.9, 21, and 22. The 21 is a rebuild, the 24.9 is a '95. Granted they're in all different states of repair that we don't know, etc etc, but the stated price does seem above market for a used 7 - not outlandishly so, but it's definitely on the high side.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
The M&H-A is a fine piano. Even considering its size, the bass has a rich, full sound. The price you were quoted is quite spectacular.
I wouldn't call it spectacular. More like it's so low that the piano is really far from new or the the dealer is so desperate for cash that any warranty is meaningless or the piano is defective. I think the price might even below what authorized dealers are allowed to sell that piano for. The price is so low that IMO it raises a major red flag.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/12/12 08:13 PM.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Yeah, there is a catch somewhere. I wonder if there is a typo in the price in the posting from the OP or if it is a used instrument.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
K
Kacky Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Sorry for the lack of explanation on the M & H price. This piano is owned by a bank that had to foreclose on a dealership. It has a walnut case, and the suggested retail is $56K.

Online Content
Originally Posted by Kacky
Sorry for the lack of explanation on the M & H price. This piano is owned by a bank that had to foreclose on a dealership. It has a walnut case, and the suggested retail is $56K.
That price would be much greater than the normal selling price which I'd estimate at 33K-40K.

If you like the Mason you probably need to have it checked very thoroughly by a tech as it may not come with a warranty. You should also verify somehow that it is really new as I don't think the bank would be expert in that area.

Perhaps a dealer at PW could give better advice about how to proceed with the purchase of a piano owned by a bank to avoid any possible problems that might not occur when buying from a dealer.

If the piano is really new and in good condition it would be a sensational buy at half the price(or even less) typically paid for that piano in walnut. Even then I wouldn't recommend buying it just for the price unless you like it(which you seem to and it is, of course, considered to be a very good piano).

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I would jump on the the Walnut M&H asap. Get all the paperwork verified.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I don't know anything about buying from a bank, and the price is so wonderful on the Mason-Hamlin A that I would want to have it checked out by a tech and look up the serial number to boot, but if it is as advertised, I would get it immediately. A nice mahogany A is a wonderful piano. There is no comparison to the older Yamaha, but, of course, you have to like the tone and touch. If one seems better than the other to you, that is really all that matters, but as far as perceived value, the Mason-Hamlin A seems like a much better choice. I have the larger seven foot Mason-Hamlin BB in a small bedroom and have no issues with it overpowering the room because I have wall-to-wall carpet and keep the lid down when I play. The A is smaller, but quite robust. If your room has carpets and you play with the lid down or half stick I think you will be ok. Of course, in a bigger room you can really let it roar if you want to. Great bass. Good luck with whatever you do.

R
R
That is an AMAZING price on the M-H. I would not wait, go for it.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Hi, I haven't been on the forums in quite some time, but I want to respond to this.

My Yamaha C3 is located in a 12x12 room that opens into a 15.5x20.5 room. This piano easily fills the house (and I, too like it loud!). As much as I like Yamahas, esp. the C7, I think you should probably choose the M&H. The C7 will overwhelm the room.

I. Bruton
Acoustic Pianos at home: Yamaha C3, Yamaha P22
Digitals at home: Yamaha P125, Roland RD-800, Kawai Novus N5S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have to say I'd go with the M&H Model A in this situation. I have a 6-footer in a 15x16 room with extensive acoustic treatments, and it's way more than enough. I cannot imagine a C7 in a 11x11 room. The room would have to be an anechoic chamber (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anechoic_chamber). grin

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Grotriman
Does anybody else think that $20K is a lot for a 30 year old Yamaha? I do.

This price actually sounds about right from what I've seen in the Toronto area.

My vote would be for the new Mason.
My experience with older Yamahas is that the action tends to get pretty loose and uneven. I'd want to set some money aside to have the action worked on if I were going to buy one that age.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
K
Kacky Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Uh Oh! Looking for a piano can be confusing! The consensus seems to be the M&H, but now we suddenly have two others to consider: A Seiler ED186 (6 ft 1 in made by Samick to Seiler specs) and a Steinway O, newly refurbished. All similarly priced. Help!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Kacky
Uh Oh! Looking for a piano can be confusing! The consensus seems to be the M&H, but now we suddenly have two others to consider: A Seiler ED186 (6 ft 1 in made by Samick to Seiler specs) and a Steinway O, newly refurbished. All similarly priced. Help!

What are the ages of the Seiler and Steinway ?? And to what extent was the Steinway "refurbished?"

IMHO the new M&H A is still probably the best choice.....and someone else may buy it if you don't act soon. BUT ultimately you should go with the instrument you like best.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission