2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
Hey all,

So, the piano hunt still continues! But I've given up on uprights. I can't get behind them... and I know I'm lying to myself but I'm just so much more excited about sitting down at a grand to practice on than an upright. So I'm now looking for a grand piano between 5'7"ish to 6'3".

My budget is approximately 10k. My problem is that I know exactly what my two dream pianos are.... I just can't afford them: Mason & Hamlin AA or Bosendorfer 214. Given the money, however, I would go for the M&H 95% of the time as I just love love love that sound. I'd even settle for a great M&H A!

In the past 4 months of piano hunting, I've tried over 75-100 pianos just to get a feel for everything I possibly can (and in the process have found out that I'm one of the people that really dislike the Steinway sound, despite all the pomp and fanfare surrounding it. I haven't tried Fazioli as the dealer has recently changed so none were really available to try. I'm curious to try them just from everything that I've heard.) I'm also lucky as Toronto is saturated with all the pianos you can imagine. I've done my reading about pianos so I'm nowhere near being uninformed (tough, and I feel dishonest about this a bit, I pretend to be a bit naive when I first go into a store just to see how I get treated - if the dealer tries to wow me with BS or with honest answers).

I'm really hoping to have a piano by August however, as I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with practicing on my keyboard (Nord Piano 2 HA88) - I enjoy playing on it immensely but it's no piano. I've narrowed it down to three or four pianos and, all things being unequal, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on these instruments.

-Chickering ~5'6" from the 1970s time period. Piano sounds good, action has been redone, touch is a bit on the medium-heavy side but nothing I can really complain about, piano is in decent condition - definitely a pleasant experience when I sat down at it and a beautiful instrument I can get excited about playing and practicing on. $7500
-Young Chang G-185 6'1" from 1987; surprisingly great tone (I've tried several YCs from the 80s and hated them all), great touch (medium-light side, just like I like it), piano in good condition. It's got something special about it - and I don't know what it is. It just works, really really well. I'm most excited about this one, to be honest. $10000
-Mason & Hamlin A from 1920's. It's basically a core piano, to be honest. Still sounds good, plays decently, I haven't yet had a tech look at it (I would before I buy it) but I'm expecting a piano into which I'd have to sink a decent amount of money in. Mini-dream piano - what more can I say? Well I can say that I'm really on the fence about this as I know that I'll have to invest a great deal more to bring it up to par. Is this a good musical investment then, for me, over the next 1o-20 years to restore? Such questions plague me. $10000
-Mason & Hamlin B. The price is really what's making me think about this one. Although, to be honest, I probably won't go for it. The sound is too compact. I can hear the beautiful M&H tone in it, which is what makes me really like it, but then I'm taken aback about how restrained it feels. The problem of small pianos, I guess. Plays like a dream, restrung, action worked on, good technical condition, cosmetically poor condition (but this is a plus for me - it shows that it's got a story). $18000

NB: The prices are the asking prices, before I haggle.

Any opinions or comments that come to mind first?

thanks!

Refurbished 1971 Kawai KG-3 (6'1")

Dream piano: Mason & Hamlin AA/BB. One day, I will have her!
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I can't comment too much about the specific pianos but I can make some comments or raise questions about your post.

What exactly do you mean by action "redone" on the Chickering?

I can't figure out if the Mason is selling for 10K or 18K, but either way it seems overpriced unless you can clarify what action "worked on" and "good technical condition"(according to who?) mean? Exactly what was done to the original and who did the work? Do you you really want to wait 10-20 years to have it the way you want? If the piano is basically a "core" how can it "play like a dream" and be in "good technical condition"?

Hi, Pantoufle, and welcome to Piano World!

Gosh, the prices on all those pianos seem high to me... but I'm certainly no expert. I could have bought a Young Chang G-185 from the late 1980's recently for $1800. Guess I should have jumped on it, but I honestly don't need another piano and don't really have room for another grand... but the price alone tempted me a lot.

All those prospects sound like nice pianos, but I'd have the top candidates checked out by a piano tech not affiliated with the seller and try to negotiate the prices down some.

In the end, however, what matters is how well you like the piano you buy. smile

Good luck and keep us informed!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
It's just my opinion, but I think all of them are overpriced. Maybe it is because you are in Canada, but I wouldn't give $7500 for a Chickering that needed substantial work.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I dont think the G185 was the higher end version of that Piano so if I am not mistaken, that price is way too much considering you can get the newer Y185 for that same price brand new. I paid $500 more for my Mahogany for example.
Of course, I could be wrong lol

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Well, I can comment on 2 of them.
The Mason B is from 1940. Has a new pinblock, Diamond tuning pins, Paulello wire, Isaac bass strings and hammers, keyframe refelted and cleaned, keys rebushed, action shanks with new knuckles and rebushed and pinned, whipens repinned, bridges sanded down, renotched and repinned, lyre rebuilt and so on.

The Chickering is a 5'8", one owner and had the keyframe and keys done, shanks rebushed and repinned, soundboard mods, regulated and voiced.

Hope that helps.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the responses all.

In terms of pricing, it's true, the prices are a bit higher than what I might find on Craigslist or Kijiji. The reason for this is because I'm looking to purchase a used grand from a dealer. My thinking is that if they will take in a used piano, then it's probably in desirable condition. I assume that they do a varying amount of work on it - sometimes a bit more than a little depending on the piano and possible profit margins? - to improve it a bit and then sell it. Certainly this will come at a bit of a markup which I'm somewhat okay to pay for the knowledge that the piano has some life ahead of it.

Am I mistaken in thinking this?

Unfortunately, because I don't have a car, I'm limited in being able to visit all the good deals from private sellers in Toronto. The other reason I've more or less limited myself to dealers. I've made the effort to visit a few private sellers with pianos that I thought were of interest to me.

Refurbished 1971 Kawai KG-3 (6'1")

Dream piano: Mason & Hamlin AA/BB. One day, I will have her!
Originally Posted by Pantoufle
Am I mistaken in thinking this?

No, not at all... in most cases the dealer premium on used instruments is worth it in order to get a nice piano that you like/love and have confidence in.

Pick out the one you like best! smile

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission