2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2251914 03/25/14 02:13 PM
G
OP Offline
G
I have a Sohmer baby grand Model 50 (SN: 130236) which is part of my parent's estate. It's a gorgeous instrument that I wish I could keep, but just don't have enough room.

Can anyone give me advice on valuing this one?

Looking at this site ( https://www.pianoworld.com/value3.htm ) it appears it might be worth anywhere from $1000 - $6000

My parents earmarked a portion of the estate as a gift to their church. The church indicated they would like the piano and I suggested we put a value on the piano and then include it as part of the gift; hence the interesting in valuing the piano.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

L
L
I recently donated a piano to a non-profit organization, and discovered that the IRS now requires a third party expert unaffiliated w/ that organization to make the estimate.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Value is totally dependent on condition. I think you'll need to hire someone to appraise it.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
The type of appraisal that you would need depends on whether you need it for the IRS or just for the purposes of determining how much of the estate it comprises. Unless the estate is large enough to owe an estate tax (I think it is about $5,000,000 now) you should not need the appraisal the IRS requires, and you should be able to call an experienced piano technician in your area for an appraisal that you and the church can agree on. I suspect that it would be closer to the $1000 range, rather than $6000. That would not have been the case some time ago, but there are a lot of 5 foot grands available new at prices that have driven a 55 year old medium level grand down in price in the used market.

Semipro Tech
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by BDB
The type of appraisal that you would need depends on whether you need it for the IRS or just for the purposes of determining how much of the estate it comprises. Unless the estate is large enough to owe an estate tax (I think it is about $5,000,000 now) you should not need the appraisal the IRS requires, and you should be able to call an experienced piano technician in your area for an appraisal that you and the church can agree on. I suspect that it would be closer to the $1000 range, rather than $6000. That would not have been the case some time ago, but there are a lot of 5 foot grands available new at prices that have driven a 55 year old medium level grand down in price in the used market.

It's not for IRS purposes (unless that factors into the taxes on the estate when it comes to that). It's just for an agreement between the church and myself so that it can be factored in to the percentage that my parent's will dictates.

I know that values have really fallen lately.. this is a great piano. I don't mind the church getting it cheap; but it's a shame that the depreciate so quickly.

Thanks for your advice.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission