2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Hmmm. In an hour I am meeting a RPT to check out 8 year old Boston GP-156 that I had pretty much decided on. The $5,500 price seems like a steal, even according to some Steinway dealers on the site. It looks like it is hardly played (the owner plays a C7 in the other room), it was purchased new locally and kept tuned twice each year.

About an hour ago, the local Kawai dealer called with what seems like an equally irresistable offer on a new Kawai RX2 that I really fell in love with--$13,500, largely to get some money moving. In discussions with my partner.

The Kawai is a stretch, although with financing it is kinda sorta affordable. Both being self employed and not having had a loan in years, it's kind of intimidating to take a large loan.

The Kawai made me feel like I couldn't walk by it without wanting to play it. The Boston is an interim piano that I can probably sell for what I would pay for it in a year or 2, but by that time the Kawaii would likely be on the floor for about $17,000. To buy for love or money??? Any insights out there?

Thanks.

F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
The deal of the decade comes along approximately once a month;-)

In general it's not a good idea, IMO, to place ones self in jeopardy for optional purchases.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

You would not be the first person on the forum to more than double their budget if you go with the RX2. And I usually tell people to follow their hearts when it comes to buying a piano, though I try to couch it in more rational arguments ("amortized over the life of the piano, the additional cost will come to very little $ per day") just to make it more convincing. laugh

However, I also usually accompany such advice with the phrase "if you can afford it." And that's the sticking point here: If taking out the loan for the Kawai is going to give you a sick feeling in your stomach, or if you don't have that 3-6 month living expenses "emergency" cushion that financial advisors always suggest you have, then I would pass on the RX2 for now. Pianos are NOT liquid assets, so the last thing you'd want is to buy it but then be forced to have it repossessed or sell it at a great loss should the economy take (gulp) yet another turn for the worse.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you can afford the loan, get the piano you want. If you can't afford the piano you want, don't settle for the lesser alternative. Good advice from both above about deals of a lifetime and about consideration of that "sick feeling".

I personally tripled my budget to get the piano I truly wanted, financed it, and haven't looked back.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

V
V
I doubled my original budget (10k), then spent some more on restringing and new action, and got a great piano. I sold some stocks to do this and I am happy to say it was the best thing I'd done financially in a while.

Steinway M & Yamaha P120
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for your posts and wisdom. Just had the Boston tuned, inspected and appraised and played it again. The RPT appraised at $9,000 although I realize that doesn't mean I could sell if for that.

With needed regulation, a bit of tightening on some of the tuning pegs and moving it adds about $750. Plus I realized that the Boston is really brighter than I want a piano to sound.

In between clients I jumped back into the store to play the Kawai and I am truly in love. Have a 9% credit card and reserves, so the financing really is affordable. I think it's more of a shock for my wife than for me, but I think, although she doesn't plan, she is beginning to understand how someone can fall in love with the sound of an instrument.

Decison to come soon.

energyguyoly,
Considering the many ways a piano enriches one's life,I say go for it. Get the piano you love,because a "lesser than" piano will never sound adequate to you. You'll always be thinking,what if i would have..........You know the rest of the sentence. Besides seems like a very good price!

Originally posted by energyguyoly:
Decison to come soon.
hmmm.... why do I think the decision has already been made? laugh

Follow your heart, energyguyoly. It will seldom lead you astray. smile

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Dear energy,

If you feel comfortable with the cost, go with your heart. A piano purchase is a "once in a lifetime" investment. I have found that those who take the time to audition enough pianos to find the one tend to remain happy with their purchase.

After all, piano is about enjoyment.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Uuuhhh.......

except for Kluurs. He has to get another piano every 5 years, whether he needs it or not. wink

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
K
K
You mention tightening of some of the "tuning pegs". Are you saying the piano needs tuning or are there issues with loose tuning pins? If there are actually tuning pins that are loose in the pin block, I'd be really careful and think twice about spending the money on that piano. If you just are indicating the piano needs tuning that's normal and no big deal as it's going to need tuning once it has acclimated itself to your home. Good luck and enjoy your new piano, whichever one you choose.

W
W
When you buy the best IT ONLY HURTS ONCE!

W
W
But, It ain't a bargain if you can't afford it!

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission