2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,817 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Maynard Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I intend to buy a new Kawai upright, and am considering the UST-9 institutional upright vs the K3. I'd welcome forum users' thoughts on which piano sounds "better".

Thanks

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Hi, Maynard. Welcome aboard.

I bought a new UST-9 last May. Build quality's about the same. The UST-9 and the K-3 have the same action. The K-3 is 2" taller, hence longer bass strings. I think the bass on my UST-9 is pretty good for a 46" piano, though. I chose the UST-9 mainly because I don't like the hinged music rest on the K-3. The K-3's $700-$1400 more, depending on finish. As to which one sounds better, that's a matter of taste. You're the one who'll be playing/listening to it. You need to make yourself happy. Both are good choices.

There are lots of nice pianos out there in that price range, not just Kawais. Play lots. Listen and confirm what you really want to hear. Talk to the folks here. We all have opinions grin, but yours is the one that counts. Enjoy the search. And the new piano.

Charles

M
Maynard Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks, Charles.

It's odd that all of the K-Series (except for the pricey K8) have the hinged music rest. I wonder why Kawai designed their Professional Series pianos that way, and if market research would support that most prospective buyers want this type of music rest.

Do you miss having a practice pedal?

Maynard

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Most professional series uprights from most brands have the hinged music desk. Only the top of the line has the more functional style. This design goes back 100 years or more. Personally, I am not crazy about it. I would rather have the UST-9 or P22 style. If you like the K8 style you might check out the Wm. Knabe & Co. WKV131. Great features, style, and performance and closer to your K3 pricing.

Last edited by Marty Flinn; 07/08/09 01:13 PM.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Marty's right; Knabes are definitely worth a look. I haven't seen the WKV-131, but the WKV-121 was impressive. It has the folding music rest, though. The WKV-131 doesn't. If there's a Knabe dealer near you, check 'em out.

Charles

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission