2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
offnote Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Clear explanations of piano tuning for the beginner are hard to find. When I wanted to learn how to tune my piano, most sources insisted that I should not try, or hid the basics in a mountain of detail, or insisted I buy a book. So I taught myself instead. After research and trying it, I developed the simplified method on this site which uses three tools: mutes, electronic tuner and a tuning lever.

here is how

p.s.
what one men did other can do as well.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
i think i speak for most of the people here when I say that we do hold our piano's as 'precious' and would not attempt such a thing. shameless plug?

O
offnote Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by itsfreakingmeout
i think i speak for most of the people here when I say that we do hold our piano's as 'precious' and would not attempt such a thing. shameless plug?

if your instrument is so 'precious' to you wouldn't you like to
pamper it by yourself??? give it your own final touch...

p.s.
what plug? crazy have not affiliation with this site.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by itsfreakingmeout

You certainly don't speak for me. I would, and have attempted such a thing and I used some of the ideas presented on that site as part of my resources (I also visited several other sites). I guess it is a plug, but there's nothing shameless about it. Lot's of people have promoted themselves on PW.

There is no reason why each and every pianist here shouldn't be familiar with tuning techniques. Even if you never tune your whole piano, occasionally you can have one or two notes that are out which you could tune yourself until your regular professional tuning appointment.

I just thought that was a tad harsh.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
These instructions aren't bad. The writer doesn't make the most common mistake of suggesting that you use a simple guitar tuner for the whole piano, and he also gives some other basic warnings, such as how to prevent rounding off the pin by not having the socket seated.

Any skill can be learned (some of us are better at some things than others), and we definitely need more piano technicians. Just use your common sense about risk-taking, like you would if you were working on your car, plumbing, or house wiring, and know when to call the experts.

I teach many of my customers how to touch up unisons between tunings (make two or three strings on one note sound the same).

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
www.shusterpiano.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Offnote, (good forum name for talking about tuning pianos, by-the-way)

I applaud you for your gesture of good will and your effort to want to be helpful to other piano owners here, but you have opened a huge can of worms and an ongoing controversy when you mention tuning your own piano here on these forums. Granted, there are many members here who do exactly that (and do a competent job, by-the-way), but they usually keep fairly quite about it for various reasons.

I, for one, understand your sentiments and your thoughts here, and I agree to an extent, but topics like “tune your piano by yourself” will only garner contention, harsh comments (like the one from itsfreakingmeout) and nasty arguments here. There are lots of professionals in all aspects of the piano business who are members of this forum, and they don’t take kindly to threads like yours who encourage piano owners to tune their own piano for lots of reasons.

Cy’s comments above are about as peaceful and civil as it gets… He’s a great guy and a great piano tech, and has helped me with technical information on several occasions.

As valuable and interesting as this topic is, it is probably better left taboo on these forums for the sake of peace and civility.

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Rick,

Respectfully I disagree. All on-topic posts are welcome. I, for one, welcome healthy discourse on the advantages and disadvantages or trying to learn to tune your own piano. The overly sensitive and the overly critical can bugger off.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am in Cy's camp! I have purchased professional tuning levers for clients who are interested in tuning. I have a link to places to buy tools, and acquire tuning software on my website. I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who wants to try their hand at tuning a piano! Even if it doesn't work out, they will gain a deeper appreciation to the craft, and their piano. So what if a string breaks? It happens to all of us! As a professional in the service industry I feel it is NOT professional to make a client feel embarrassed or ashamed if they attempted a repair themselves. Sometimes they do surprisingly well. Other times.... wink

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
I'm with Kurt.

I agree that this board sees contentious, nasty, argumentative responses frequently, but I think it's very unfortunate. The contentious and nasty should be what is taboo around here rather than someone posting a link to a site (s)he found informative and wanted to share.

I'm never going to try to tune or "touch up" my piano -- I find it hard enough to tune my guitar! But I do love learning about how a pianos are made, how the should be cared for, how they work, and what techs do. I think pianists should learn as much about their instrument, how it works and how it is maintained as they can.

Thanks Offnote!

Yamaha GC1
Originally Posted by rysowers
I am in Cy's camp! I have purchased professional tuning levers for clients who are interested in tuning. I have a link to places to buy tools, and acquire tuning software on my website. I have no problem whatsoever with anyone who wants to try their hand at tuning a piano! Even if it doesn't work out, they will gain a deeper appreciation to the craft, and their piano. So what if a string breaks? It happens to all of us! As a professional in the service industry I feel it is NOT professional to make a client feel embarrassed or ashamed if they attempted a repair themselves. Sometimes they do surprisingly well. Other times....

Wow, have attitudes here changed or what? What happened to the quote “only a fool would represent him/herself in court and only a fool would attempt to tune their own piano”? I’ve been made to feel like a fool all this time, but a fool whose piano is in tune. thumb

Maybe attitudes here have changed… are the PW forums evolving?

Let the good times roll……. grin

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I sort of agree with Rickster, however, I would say that this thread would be ripped to shreds on the Technicians forum, but treated a little more respectful on this forum. I learned to tune my own piano and have always been glad that I did. I still call a professional at times, but I have saved myself $1000's of dollars over the last 20 years, and in todays economy who couldn't use that kind of savings. One thing that came in handy and was sort of a suprise, I got a speeding ticket this summer and the judge sentanced me to 8 hours of community service. I contacted a couple of local small churches and offered to tune their pianos. They were thrilled to get their pianos tuned for free and I felt like I contributed to the success of several Christmas programs around our city. I also got to know several music ministers. Overall, it was a great experience.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think it's probably a matter of time.. the right people just have not seen it yet!! laugh

Regardless, though, contentious, nasty, argumentative responses do not belong here.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
B
BDB Offline
B
I certainly have nothing against people trying to learn technical work on a piano, but I also warn people about the pitfalls. I have a friend who works with vision-impaired people, and he once asked me about it for one of his charges. I invited them to my club for dinner, and explained the good and the bad of the business. Afterwards, my friend said he could not decide whether I had been encouraging or discouraging. I took that as a compliment.

I tell people I can teach them to tune a piano in a day, and after that, it just takes four years of practice to become good at it. It takes even longer to become truly excellent. If you think the first piano tuning you do sounds wonderful, you probably have very little aptitude for piano tuning.

Semipro Tech
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BDB
If you think the first piano tuning you do sounds wonderful, you probably have very little aptitude for piano tuning.

This is one of the most insightful comments I’ve seen on this subject to date.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The internet has everything on it. I am quite sure it is something out there about "Building Your Own Grand Piano".

Tuning is an art, Respect it and go to school if you really want to learn.

Yamaha P-120, Feurich 122

Always look ahead, but never look back. - Miles Davis
O
offnote Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Originally Posted by Aliwally

oh please, cooking can be an art too but somehow we cook ourselves with great results almost everyday. Why we assume art cannot be part of our everyday's life???

Besides good musicians should be able to tune his/her instrument wether it is flute , guitar or piano.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Cy Shuster
and we definitely need more piano technicians.

--Cy--

Yes, someone will have to tune all those digital pianos they sell......... laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by offnote
Originally Posted by Aliwally

oh please, cooking can be an art too but somehow we cook ourselves with great results almost everyday. Why we assume art cannot be part of our everyday's life???

Besides good musicians should be able to tune his/her instrument wether it is flute , guitar or piano.

Yeah, but some cooks make six figure salaries as well as some Concert Tuners, they did not get there by cooking at home. So go ahead and read your Tuning Made Easy. I have tuned drums for a living before, and just about every drummer can tune his own drums but not all can tune to make a living.

The piano is just one instrument that is so complex, how many instruments can you name that have over 10,000 parts. How many spices can you name off the top of your head, and mix those spices to achieve a certain taste. Art and being an artist are two different things. Tuning Made Easy For Piano...sorry, it's a Joke.

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think the 10,000 parts argument is a red herring.

There are very few parts that need to be touched, merely to perform a tuning.

All string players treat continuos tuning adjustments as an everyday basic skill. Clearly, tuning a piano is a bit more involved, but some degree of basic adjustment (of unisons for example) is not all that difficult. My tuner showed me how to do it years ago and he did not treat it as a black art. He knew perfectly well he was much more skilled than me - and was happy to share some of it.

A really good tuner can deliver superlative results. I prefer to use my good tuner every three months. But I see no reason why anyone who fancies it cannot learn to tune their piano to their own satisfaction.

Incidentally, I got the impression, perhaps wrongly, that the OP was not promoting himself, as has been suggested here. He had just come across a web site to which he is drawing our attention - as a good citizen of Piano World.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Don't mean to sound harsh. Somethings will drive you crazy, and I think this is one of them. Spend that time practicing. My piano tech friend who works in New York just gave me one word advice to piano tuning when I get a real piano. If the tuner is not striking those strings loud, "Get Rid Of Him". He told me it should get on my nerves because when I go to play if no vibrations was made when tuning, it will go out of tune with the vibrations I will make playing. Can't exactly explain like he did but I know what he was saying. He also told me to ask how many cents out of tune it was, I have it written down somewhere to know how many cents for a pitch raise but no piano should get that bad before it needs tuning. That was it...so I will remember that. I asked though, "Can I tune the piano myself?"..he just laughed... and said yeah, If you have a couple of years to learn.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission