2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1736013 08/18/11 05:29 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I could use some opinions on this help A local shop has a 1977 Bosendorfer for sale. They say it's a model 190, but on the web site it says it's 6'6" (maybe a typo)? Anyway, initial price is 32K. Piano is in great condition except for a few minor "dings."

http://www.gregspianoforte.com/ForSale/Item05.html

I am going to take a look at it next week, but just wanted to do a little research first. Is that a reasonable price for a piano in that condition? Also, what would be a reasonable price to ask for a 2008 Kawai RX-2? I would be trading the Kawai if the Bosie really turns out to be awesome.

Thanks for any info/advice! thumb

Last edited by milehighou; 08/18/11 05:29 PM.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Eric,

Has there been any restoration work done on this piano? If not then I would go into it expecting to restring and replace the hammers. The finish looks pretty nice. I realize that this is a Bosendorfer, but that seems like quite a bit of money for a piano that old, even if it is a Bosie. Recently I've seen a 7' Ibach on Pianomart, made in 1981, for 27,500. I've also seen a 7' Schimmel Diamond edition in bubinga, made in 2004, with a player system for just under 28,000 at Allaboutpianos.

I think it would be worth looking at the Bosie. Good luck with your negotiations.

Dan

Last edited by DanLaura Larson; 08/18/11 05:54 PM.

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I would say that if it's in original condition, the price sounds a bit high.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
I like to say it's not the age, it's the mileage. The questions abound. How much was it played, in what environment has it resided. A decent tech evaluation will likely answer these sorts of questions. It's a buyer's market out there. What it sells for is whatever the market will bear.

4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
The model 190 is about 6'3". We sold one last fall that was similar age in mahogany for a little less than the asking price for that piano.

I still have a photo album on facebook and a video on YouTube for comparison.

It wasn't a rebuild; we cleaned it, freshened up the original finish and gave the action a fresh service. The hammers had been replaced in the late 1980's but was otherwise original. The piano was in almost daily use until 2002, but correctly kept and serviced. It was a remarkable example of what good quality + good service will mean for that kind of instrument.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DanLaura Larson
Eric,

Has there been any restoration work done on this piano? If not then I would go into it expecting to restring and replace the hammers. ...

This is taking a bit of a leap into speculation. Just because a piano is 30 years old doesn't mean it has tens of thousands of hours of playing on it. Consider that many expensive pianos were purchased on the advice of interior designers as focal points in a home, and as a result, hardly ever played.

Only a piano expert can accurately assess a piano's condition and needs, and only after examining the piano in person.

JG
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Yes Jurgen I was speculating. But it is what I would do so that if there was work needing to be done then I wouldn't be disappointed. And if it is a well preserved, lightly played piano then I would be very happy. Hopefully this piano works out great for Eric and I will be excited for him if it does.

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Isn't it better for a piano to be played regularly than for it to sit? I have wondered if there would be problems buying one of these old but "untouched" pianos that the decorators got people to buy.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
You all bring up some good points. I'm off from work next week anyway, so I figure it is worth seeing and playing a bit. I'll ask if there's been any restoration done. I think they said it's only had 1 owner, but not sure how much it was played. If I get serious about it, I will definitely have a tech inspect it. I'll keep ya posted =)

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Just an update--it's a model 200. Hopefully I'll get to check it out in a day or two =)

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
That's a nice size. Good luck.

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
N
N
According to Mr. Fine and his depreciation schedule, that piano should be "worth" around $40K. That's based on his approximate % of new value of a 34 year old grand piano - this one newly priced at about $110K.

However, in the "REAL" world . . . I would say Sam Bennet's comments are about right; meaning their asking price is probably a few thousand too high. If you really fall in love with it, make them a reasonable (but certainly lower) offer and if you can, offer it in cash. That could help seal the deal. smile

Doug

Anyone know about the 1920's "Mighty Wurlitzer" theatre pipe organs? Click here: www.wrtos.org or here: www.atos.org
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
By the way, what do you think would be a fair trade-in value for my Kawai RX-2? It's about 3 years old, well maintained and in excellent condition.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Finally got to see the Bosie. It had a very nice tone, and the touch was smooth. They were still fixing some cosmetic flaws and buffing the finish. It was in all original condition, which means it's 30+ yrs old. It was a pretty awesome piano, and good size, but I decided to be practical. It's not something I really need at this point since my Kawai is almost new. This was my first time playing a Bosie though, and I think all the good things I've heard about them are true. Really liked the sound =)

Kawai RX-6 BLAK

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission