2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

I see some discussion of old, unrestored pianos as being "core" pianos. As in, you buy a core and rebuild what's needed to yield a complete piano.

But while I've been monitoring eBay, Craigslist, etc. for cheap pianos, I haven't yet found an example of these mythical cores ... such as a 9' concert grand for $1,500, or a playable 7-footer of non-prestigious manufacture for a few thousand.

Do real "core" pianos disappear rapidly from the market? Or are they actually rare and you have to keep hunting for them?

Colin Dunn
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
The small ones come up regularly, not many 7 feet.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If you are buying it as a core piano, why would you care whether it is playable or not?

The less prestigious manufacturers, even if you lump them all together, did not make many large grands. Many of them have probably been scrapped.

Semipro Tech
Online Content
Hi Colin,

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking that the rebuilders and dealers know all the secrets and where these "core" deals can be found. And, I'm quite sure that many dealers won't reveal their sources...

I see ads on the Atlanta Craigslist often of buyers looking for Steinway grand pianos in any condition. Here is an example

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2559546468.html

I suppose you could continuously search all the want ads and estate ads and any other resources that might be available. Or, be patient and keep looking… smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I passed up on a completely shot mid-'40s Baldwin SD-6 once, which I regret, but it was a little pricey for what I thought it was worth, and it was bad timing.

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
There are wholesalers that cater to the rebuilding trade, but that being said I have bought pianos via Ebay and Craigslist, wholesalers and word of mouth.Folks that rent storage units advertise as well. If you are financially ready there is an endless supply. A dose of patience is always desirable.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Gary
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you are not a part of the rebuilding trade as in the biz,you're not gonna have the prerequisite knowledge to fairly assess the value of that rebuildable core. The wholesale brokers are not interested in selling that 1 lone piano to a retail buyer unless you inadvertantly are willing to overpay. It's called hitting a home run. grin
It is a tight knit community that is based on repeat customers as for the relationship between the wholesaler and the rebuilder buying network. It is an exclusive club so to speak of the rebuilding network and a few knowledgeable dealers doing spec pianos. Like any commodity wholesalers don't usually sell to the retail end user.

It is somewhat comparable to the wholesale salvage car auctions whereas the body shop entrepenuers and car dealers are the only ones privy to these crashed car insurance auctions because they are the ones who are gonna be fixing and sell them. It is not open to the public.

Rebuilder core pianos OTHER THAN Steinway and Mason & Hamlin and ? are all over craigslist because the rebuilding industry are not usually interested at any price.

Folks think that estate sales are where individuals find these rare vintage treasures. Most always the estate personnel have made arrangements with their "piano guy" for liquidating these pianos way before the sale. If you desire a core piano for rebuilding ask your rebuilder to aid you in your search.

Last edited by pianobroker; 08/27/11 02:19 PM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
A few months ago, I found a no-name baby grand for free on Craig's list. (Not what I was looking for, though). Maybe it just takes time.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
It likely takes time. After I posted this, a "core" 9-footer came up on eBay:

1920s Chickering on eBay

Looks like this one will need a complete refinish and rebuild. Chickerings of that vintage are well-regarded pianos; the refinish / rebuild work would cost about $25K. A completely restored 9' for about $30K out the door ($27K for piano and restoration + a few thousand for moves) is not bad.

I'm not in a position to completely restore a concert grand right now, but someone with $30K may get a nice piano.

Last edited by Colin Dunn; 08/27/11 12:48 PM.

Colin Dunn
Online Content
Originally Posted by John Sprung
A few months ago, I found a no-name baby grand for free on Craig's list. (Not what I was looking for, though). Maybe it just takes time.

I saw an older Kimbell grand piano advertized for "free" on CL a few weeks ago. There was not much info in the ad, but it looked like a 6 + footer in the photos. If it had been closer to my location, I may have jumped on it just to have something to tinker with. I would have paid a mover to move it.

It is rare that a grand piano, in any condition, comes up for free, but it does happen on occasion.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
... And as for what I'm looking for, this thread was inspired by another thread in which someone was looking at a Wurlitzer 7' grand. It appeared that piano only needed about $1,000 in repairs to become a fully-functional instrument.

I'm keeping an eye on the used market for that "diamond in the rough" piano - one that doesn't need complete refinishing / restoration, but that others bypass as they don't see the potential. Most likely a 5'-6' grand that can be retrofitted with a modern player system.

Colin Dunn
Online Content
Hi Colin,

Like Pianobroker said, the dealers and rebuilders community have sources and resources that the average PW member does not... maybe PB or John Pels or others here can help you find what you are looking for...

It may be worth paying a small finders fee to get that diamond in the rough!!! laugh

Rick

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Rick, the thing about doing business with wholesalers is that they will only deliver to a business location. Keyboard Carriage is also getting cranky about delivering residentially even if that is where your shop is. I am not a business, but the wholesaler said that I was and they delivered the pianos. I have friends in the business, so I can work around this in the future if I have to, but most folks don't have access to businesses that will cooperate. So, you have the cost of Keyboard Carriage which can range from $450 to $1000, then you have to get someone with a business involved and then you have to essentially move it again to get it to a residence. The logistics sometimes make procuring a diamond in the rough a bigger pain than it needs to be. I have seen just as many good deals on Craigslist of late, as I have through the wholesalers.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission