2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,315 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2042703 03/04/13 07:09 AM
R
RobertS Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Is a piano new even if the year it was built isn't current? As in you go to the dealer and the piano that is on the floor was built say in 2010 or 11. This piano would also never have been sold to anyone before so you get the full guarantee.

RobertS #2042713 03/04/13 07:56 AM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I'm not really sure what you're asking. As you say, it would have the guarantee of a "new" piano. Two other considerations: Somebody in the biz check my advice, please. I believe the dealers incur some cost when a piano sits on the floor unsold for some time. You might get a better deal on such an instrument. Second, the dealer would surely have had to keep a 2010 in tune on the floor, and thus such a piano would have already had some of the multiple tunings new pianos need. Hope this helps.

RobertS #2042733 03/04/13 09:12 AM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I think that a piano is new in the circumstances you describe: it has never been sold and it is accompanied by a new piano warranty that begins to run on the date of purchase. A car is new even if it is from a past model year, if it has never been sold. . . .And pianos don't really have model years the same way cars do anyway.

Moreover, my understanding of piano manufacture is that the serial number can go onto a piano substantially before the piano is completed, so time can pass that way as well. In other words, a piano with a 2010 serial number might not make it onto the sales floor until 2011 or even 2012.

But remember one important fact about this post: its content is worth exactly what you are paying for it!

My zero cents.

RobertS #2042752 03/04/13 09:56 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Definitely - my first grand had been on the dealer's floor for a couple of years - like nobody was buying high end pianos during the GFC. I know of a new 9' which had been on the dealer's floor for about 3 years - still "new", full warranty.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
RobertS #2042755 03/04/13 10:07 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Depending on the year, I would consider it "new, old stock".

On the other hand, I've read there is an advantage to buying a piano that has been on the sales floor a while... like tuning stability.

To me, the only thing to be concerend about is resale value... since you would be taking a hit anyway in terms of devaluation after purchase, you don't want additional devaluation due to being new, old stock.

Just my .02.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #2042771 03/04/13 10:54 AM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
No disagreement with anything written by anyone, but I would add that if you're asking the question because of a specific interest in a specific piano, it's a good idea to find out the provenance of that piano -- where and how it's spent its time since it was first delivered to a retailer.

Some 'new' pianos have been used for recitals at the dealership. Some have been moved back and forth to venues for recitals and music camps. Some have been out at music schools, even in practice rooms. Some have sat uncrated because the vendor was stuck with too much inventory. Some have been on the sales floor and received the beneficial break-in attention that Rick mentions. Some have been transferred from the stock of another retailer, usually a failed shop that went out of business. All these situations are different, the only common factor being that the piano has never been registered as sold.

A good retailer will tell you the exact history of the piano if you ask and he knows. If information is sketchy or you have doubts about its veracity, you can sometimes get help by supplying the serial number to the manufacturer or his distributor. This will also be useful in confirming the manufacturer warranty. There are a few 'new' pianos out there whose warranties are meaningless because the manufacturer or former distributor is out of business.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
Rickster #2042780 03/04/13 11:21 AM
S
S
Originally Posted by Rickster

To me, the only thing to be concerend about is resale value... since you would be taking a hit anyway in terms of devaluation after purchase, you don't want additional devaluation due to being new, old stock.

Even the resale value will be relatively unaffected, in that the resale value of a say 10-year old piano is not significantly different than the same model at 12 years old.

Based on inventory management, LIFO or FIFO a piano may not hit a sales floor for a year after production. In the case of high-end special finishes, it could easily be longer.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

RobertS #2042789 03/04/13 11:32 AM
S
S
i just paid deposit to a piano that was manufactured in 2007. the dealer could not sell it so decide to give a 66% off MSRP. if the piano is in perfect condition (which i need to check with a techician next week), then its an exccelent trade off.

imo piano manufactured in 2010 deserves a bit more discount than same piano manufactured in 2012. but their functionality should be equal (if all other things being equal)

PLEYEL P124
RobertS #2042815 03/04/13 12:42 PM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
One of the things to be considered is the invoice cost, to the dealer, at the time the dealership took posession of the piano. If the actual cost in 2007 was $10,000 and the same model is now invoiced for $15,000, the discount should be evaluated based on the '07 price.

A discont of 66% off MSRP sounds great, but it must be thought of in the economics of the transaction in 2007. Of course, that information is rarely available to the buyer, but a comparison might be done using the MSRP of the different years.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Steven Y. A.
i just paid deposit to a piano that was manufactured in 2007. the dealer could not sell it so decide to give a 66% off MSRP. if the piano is in perfect condition (which i need to check with a techician next week), then its an exccelent trade off.

imo piano manufactured in 2010 deserves a bit more discount than same piano manufactured in 2012. but their functionality should be equal (if all other things being equal)

You need to look out for different things depending on the piano. On a Pleyel vertical, I'd easily be convinced that it had been sitting idle for a few years based on the company's shaky history in the past decade and its resulting low visibility in the market. I remember seeing a couple of new Pleyel uprights in the SoCal market that were 7 or 6 years old and still waiting for a buyer. If the shop happened to be in Quebec and catered to a French-Canadian separatist clientele, maybe things would be different. grin

If I ran into a Yamaha U-1 offered new but three or four years old from date of manufacture, I'd be wondering whose teaching studio or practice room it had been spending its time in, or if was B stock.

On that Pleyel, I'd want to verify the true date and even the place of manufacture with Pleyel (if anyone there is still answering the phone or handling e-mails). I'd also want to know if I'm dealing with a manufacturer warranty that is now meaningless and if so, how solid the store warranty is. Even if all that news is good news, I wouldn't commit until the piano had been subjected to an independent inspection at the shop. Waiting to do that until home delivery complicates things.

The issue of dealer invoice cost on the unit sold vs. its replacement cost to the dealer is a complicated one. There are desirable pianos that involve a lengthy wait and higher cost for a dealer to replace, but in cases where the thing is old new stock that's simply been sitting around crated or uncrated, he usually has no intention of replacing it, and most likely has dropped the line completely. His main interest at that point is in seeing that the last of the litter leaves his kennel.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission