2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hello knowledgeable folks!

I've read here that new Steinway's are rarely "discounted" from their set retail price(?)...

Of the other "Performance Grade" piano manufacturers (and their dealers), is their "room" for negotiation or are their prices (as per "MSRP" in Larry Fine's Book) likewise set in stone?

This is more of an "academic" interest as I *doubt* I would be able to afford a new instrument of "Performance Grade" (again via Larry Fine's "bible"), but am still interested in the experiences of you folks here on PW.

(I *DO* understand that the "top" pianos "brands" are often hand-made in very limited quantities and that demand CAN be high for their instruments, but does anyone know if dealers for NEW M&H or Charles Walter pianos for instance have any "wiggle" room in price?)

I *have* an opportunity to go to a dealer for one of these brands whose "lower end" priced instrument is at the very "highest end" of my price range but *not* having a car to make the trip (don't drive a car... only "vehicles" I've ever operated/drove were NYC Subway Trains), I don't want to make an expensive trip to the dealer, like the instrument and walk out because there was no room for negotiation. (Not that I'm a good price negotiator anyway!)

Thanks!

Charlie
(Whose last piano was an early 1980s(?) Baldwin spinnet bought *new* at full "sticker" price.)

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It has been my shopping experience (among that strata of pianos) that more significant discounts from the SMP price in the book are certainly possible with the non-Steinway pianos. Depending on the store, case finish, amount of prep work/customization, the market, how long the piano has been on the floor, or other extenuating factors, that discount from the SMP price can sometime be incredibly substantial. The Piano Buyer suggests a 10-30% discount from the SMP price is the most typical expectation.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you terminaldegree!

I'm getting closer to retirement, want to restart the piano lessons I left decades ago and want to purchase the *best* acoustic piano I can. I don't think I'll be able to "upgrade" when the retirement checks start coming in and would like to leave a good quality instrument, well taken care of, to a younger family member who currently takes lessons and seems to have a keen interest in playing ('though I have NO plans to vacate this planet any time soon!).

Larry Fine's "The Piano Buyer" is really an excellent resource, just wanted to ascertain from you experienced folks here whether or not "Steinway" was the pricing model among "higher end" pianos.

Thanks again!

Charlie

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
The best value performance grade piano is a skillfully done rebuild of a great but worn out piano. In the USA this usually means a Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, Baldwin or Chickering piano. The most important factor being the skill of the rebuilder.

Also, some rebuilders are very knowledgable about elements of piano design and significant improvements can be fitted into an old design such as Hybrid wire scales, Wessel, Nickel and Gross composite action parts, my own patent pending Fully Tempered Duplex Scale and LightHammer tone regulation.

These elements not only improve sound and touch quality they also significantly improve durability and stability of sound and touch quality.

Search out rebuilders who also sell rebuilt pianos and try examples of their work. You might find the piano of your dreams.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Ed!

I'll check this out too!

Charlie

J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
I was just going to write, the best way to get a performance grade piano is to buy a rebuild, and then I saw Ed's post!

YAMAHA Artist

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Hi Chazarama - Welcome to Piano World!

How about a nice little subway ride to 58th Street? You will find a wealth of stores where you will feel like a kid in a candy store. Start at Faust Harrison and check out their truly fine offering of performance level instruments. Their rebuilding work is absolutely first rate and you will get an idea of pricing on both new and rebuilt pianos.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until December 19, 2014
2000 Post Club Member
Ask for Bob Perretti at Steinway Hall over on W57th. He's one of the good guys.

Bob W.
Piano Technician (Retired since 2006)
Conway, Arkansas
www.pianotechno.blogspot.com
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
All most all piano dealer except Steinway discount in the 10%-30% off Larry's SMP. this includes the Performance Grade instruments.

Steinway dealers very rarely discount more than 10%. If re-sale is a consideration this can decrease Steinway's relative resale value when compared to competitive brands.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks Minnesota Marty!

No longer near the Big Apple, but maybe the bus ride to the city would be a shorter ride than the trek I was planning...

I "do" remember a generation or so ago walking into a couple of high-end dealerships near Carnegie Hall. Drooled so much they had to follow me wif' a MOP!

(Initially employed via civil service test in the entry level job as a NYCTA Subway "Conductor" - opening & closing doors on the trains & "platform duties", I was assigned to work with an old timer at 57/7th station on the "B" Division "Broadway" Line one day... can't make this up... with signage all over the place, a young man came up to the two of us and asked "how do I get to Carnegie Hall?"... I was stunned but the old timer didn't miss a beat and responded... with the old vaudeville "punch" line (TRUE STORY!)... in all fairness, I did point out to the young man the correct exit and the numerous signs directing him to his destination).

Just not an easy commute to the city for me now tho'.

Thanks!

Charlie

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Well Charlie,

You will need a good piano when you "practice, practice, practice!"

Or, you could take a job as a piano mover.

Or, if you are hungry, there is always that famous deli. I can give you the directions on how to get there.

crazy

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission