2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#760786 08/18/02 02:49 PM
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
What's the use?

"After fifteen years of teaching adolescents, especially those out of high school age, I am convinced there is no use trying to interest children in piano study. All the families I know are in the same jittery state, brought on I supose, by cheap, ready-made amusements, radio, jazz, movies and so forth. The war has also added to the general unrest. I can't stand it any longer and feel so hopeless that I am looking around for some other way to earn my living. Aren't any serious, sensible parents left in these United States, or am I just out of luck?"

D. E. B. New York

This letter to the editor was taken from a magazine called "The Etude", published in June of 1941. Not much change in 60 years, eh? The answer to the letter runs to some three pages or I would post it here - good advice, and an excellent commentary on the youth of the day - and the youth of today.

Kim and I bought a stack of these magazines from an antique store in Idaho Falls, next door to a store that bills itself as having the largest selection of sheet music in the west. I wonder if they still publish it?

It's a great little magazine. Each month they published a selection of music (all levels) along with articles about the stars of the day, both composers and performers. Tips and techniques for musicians ranging from pianists to vocalists to accordianists. Organs are given heavy coverage as, with much discussion of stops and pedals. The arrangement of "The Star Spangled Banner" in this June '41 edition is my favorite so far. It evokes the age in which it was written - simple, straightforward and powerful.

The advertisements are the best! A new Wurlitzer console with interchangeable front panels that can either look like wood panels or a shelf full of books! New Gulbransen spinets for $495. A console made to look like a square grand except the back of it goes all the way to the floor. The Hammond "Solovox", a gadget you hang under the keyboard of your piano so you can play organ with the right hand while playing piano with your left. $190, "Terms if you like".

And the writing! Nobody writes like this any more, and no one would be willing to read it if they did. Beautiful, lyrical writing, even in the advertisements; in fact, especially in the advertisements. Respectful appeals to the reader to sample their wares, not the in-your-face insults that pass for advertising today.

I sense a collection starting, and it might just be a good investment. The cover price on the magazine is 25 cents, but if you subscribed you could get three months worth for 35 cents. Given that I cheerfully parted with $2.00 for each one, it looks like these little magazines might be the best investment since the Steinway grand!

"Terms if you like", of course.

smile

Defender of the Landfill Piano
#760787 08/18/02 05:40 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Steve,

If your serious about collecting the Etude they are redily available on ebay.

Quite often they go cheap unless someone famous is on the cover. Many times you can acquire them for no more than a couple of dollars apiece especially when bought in quantities such as here or here or here .

There are few joys in life greater than the absence of pain.
#760788 08/18/02 09:09 PM
C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
I love that magazine. My public library has many issues of it, I love reading about how music was in the 1930's etc. Some of the ads for pianos are great, I remember seeing a baby grand (Brand new) for about $600! The writing is indeed very intelligent.

#760789 08/18/02 10:14 PM
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have heard of Etude, but never actually spent any time with it.

Looks like I have to now. Thanks guys. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Moderated by  Bart K, Gombessa, LGabrielPhoto 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission