2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (20/20 Vision, clothearednincompo, Colin Miles, bcalvanese, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1962007 09/21/12 09:49 AM
Jolteon Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've had several examiners and adjudicators, now, commenting that my playing sometimes sounds "forced." I'm having a little trouble understanding what is the difference between forced and not forced, and how one controls such things...

Someone mentioned something about using the back/whole body rather than just shoulders/arms when playing forte, and not doing that results in a forced tone, but I don't understand the physics behind that. Surely that would result in more force on the keys, and so how could that possibly have a less-forced sound? Is it a matter of how the force is applied? because that also doesn't really make too much sense, if one simply looks at the physics of it (all things being equal), as the hammers really only can hit with different velocity.

My current suspicion is that it has something to do, more, with what happens after the key is pressed, rather than before. Or perhaps it's just how one voices a chord can have an effect on this? I really am not sure.

I do intend to ask my piano teacher for some advice, but it shouldn't hurt to hear some other opinions, too. smile

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
Jolteon #1962018 09/21/12 10:22 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think most of the things you mentioned are involved, but you talked almost entirely about physical aspects, and if you're looking more for the basic thing that they meant, it's something else.

Of course they meant something about the sound, and I think the best starting point would be to understand exactly what (to the extent possible) -- before getting into the physical aspects that might be involved. Do you? I suspect that if you think you do, it's not quite exactly what you think....

edit: Including that it probably involves aspects of the sound besides the sound per se!

I think it would be helpful for you to say what you think they meant in terms of the music that was coming out, as opposed to anything physical -- and then we can take it from there.

Last edited by Mark_C; 09/21/12 10:43 AM.
Jolteon #1962030 09/21/12 11:08 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
When people use terms to describe music that are not musical terms, you have no idea what is trying to be communicated. I certainly don't.

If you have a recording (no video) of the performance, play it again to them and ask them exactly what they meant.

It would even be more interesting to play that recording to them days later and see what is then said.

Having said all this, if you have a recording listen to yourself and make your own opinion of your own playing.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Jolteon #1962033 09/21/12 11:10 AM
Online Content
My concept of "forced tone" is a sound that is unpleasant (assuming an unpleasant sound is not appropriate for the passage). This would normally occur during the loud dynamic playing and can be the fault of the piano rather than the pianist.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/21/12 05:54 PM.
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
When people use terms to describe music that are not musical terms, you have no idea what is trying to be communicated. I certainly don't....

I think I have a pretty good idea. smile

If he says what he thinks, I do think we can take it from there with pretty good reliability.

Jolteon #1962085 09/21/12 01:34 PM
B
B
The term 'forced tone' is used frequently in reviews of concerts and recordings. I take it to mean that the pianist plays louder than necessary, often with accompaniment also too loud which may be part of the problem.

Horowitz for example, often bangs in climaxes, but he also knows when to scale right down, and he gets his bel canto tone from playing the accompaniment much softer so that he doesn't need to force his tone in the melody. When you play above a certain volume, depending on the piano, the sound can be harsh, which may be what you want (e.g. in Prokofiev) but often it isn't, and the remedy can be as straightforward as reducing the volume of the accompaniment (or rebalancing the melody against accompaniment, or changing the voicing so that inner notes within chords are softer than the bass note) so that the melody can sing without sounding 'forced'.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Jolteon #1962102 09/21/12 02:04 PM
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I have no idea what "forced" means, either. Like you, I subscribe to physics and its laws. When people tell me something that makes no sense physically, I have a very hard time following it. That's not to say they're not right, it's just that I simply have a difficulty understanding what they mean. Best thing to do when that happens is to ask questions directly to that person if you are able. Most are really willing to help you get to the bottom of whatever it is they hear, because they truly want you to know, and almost always want to help.

What I did was jump on youtube and listen to a couple of your performances, particularly Chopin's Raindrop prelude and the 2nd mvt of Beethoven's Pathetique. What I noticed was that you are very rigid in your playing. Exact time/rhythm. Exact dynamics. There's no shape to the music. So each note sounds like it is attacked, and the tone sounds a little harsh. A lot of "bop bop bop bop" instead of "la da dee da". Whether this means "forced" or not is an entirely different story, but I hope this is at least helpful.

I think the "whole body" comments you were getting is an attempt to get you to feel the music more, because it feels like every note is the same.. it's mechanical. Now, some of this could be the fault of the Yamaha upright you were playing, but after several pieces with the same kind of sound, I suspect it goes a little beyond that, and that there is actually some mechanical playing going on.

Interestingly, the Tempest 3rd movement did not have this problem.. but it does have some other issues. You don't bring out the correct beat. There are some technical problems, likely some tension in your hands, and in this case, the tempo is all over the place. This sounds "forced". In some places, you rush very badly and miss notes. In others, you slow down way too much. Doesn't happen everywhere, but it happens enough to be noticeable. Check out 2:55 for a great example of the technical issues in this piece. And at 5:28 it sounds like you're hitting the keys way too hard.

Throughout the piece, I noticed that your fingers are extremely tense and straight. This is probably one of the big contributors to your technique issues. You have to work on relaxing your hand and fingers so that they can play the notes. My suspicion is that there are other mechanical issues that just this one, but that was noticeable, so I wanted to mention it because it will help a lot if you can do it.

I can hear an underlying musical sense in your playing, like you know what the piece should be doing (in most places), but mechanical issues are preventing you from doing it. I would ask your teacher to help you focus on this aspect, because it more than anything else, will vastly improve your playing.

Hope it helps. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
When people use terms to describe music that are not musical terms, you have no idea what is trying to be communicated. I certainly don't.

If you have a recording (no video) of the performance, play it again to them and ask them exactly what they meant.

I agree. All tone is forced.

Damon #1962160 09/21/12 03:50 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Damon

I agree. All tone is forced.

Some tone just shows up out of nowhere with no warning...

Jolteon #1962165 09/21/12 04:01 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
An analogy would be like the difference between singing and screaming.

I like to think of releasing the sounds from the piano rather than thinking I can make them.

A beautiful piano sings all by itself. I do believe that a certain touch can be critical but also I think the listener chooses what they think may be good as sound as opposed to being a forceful sound.

I have no idea if this is helpful to you.

rada

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
My conception of "forced tone" is sound that is unpleasant when an unpleasant sound is not desirable. This would normally occur during the loud dynamic playing and can be the fault of the piano rather than the pianist.

My first thought was that they meant his technique wasn't quite there yet and some of his chords (or whatever) were too loud and timed poorly. Either way is a reasonable thing to infer, hence my first post in response to Dave. It is basically meaningless on it's face.

Jolteon #1962171 09/21/12 04:18 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
YMMV, but I associated "forced" with sounding "rehearsed". Like using the exact same rubato every time you play a piece.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Jolteon #1962175 09/21/12 04:25 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Ok so "forced" is obviously not a helpful description on its own because I interpreted it as harsh tone.

LadyChen #1962178 09/21/12 04:28 PM
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by LadyChen
Ok so "forced" is obviously not a helpful description on its own because I interpreted it as harsh tone.

I also think that any tone a piano is capable of producing is fair game to use. Harsh is appropriate at times.

Jolteon #1962180 09/21/12 04:48 PM
S
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Jolteon,
I guess, if people call your playing "sometimes forced", they just want to be polite and not say, that it is "unmusical".
I hope, this feedback from my side is not perceived as to forced.

Kind regards from the other side of the globe.

Damon #1962361 09/22/12 12:45 AM
My first thought was that they meant his technique wasn't quite there yet and some of his chords (or whatever) were too loud and timed poorly. Either way is a reasonable thing to infer, hence my first post in response to Dave. It is basically meaningless on it's face.

(emphasis added)

I think you're the first one who mentioned that -- and IMO that's very likely a big part of it, particularly things like not holding notes and rests quite long enough, and in short, "not breathing." Those kinds of rhythmic things, coupled with the things that others have mentioned, create a jagged, harsh, anxious impression.

I don't agree that it's 'meaningless on its face' to talk about "forced tone," or that it's hard to guess what was meant, provided you've heard the usage in context a number of times. I have, and it has meant essentially what has been said in most of the posts here, with the addition of what you said and what I amplified.

I think we could have done even better in trying to pin it down in this particular instance if Jolteon had said more about what he thought they meant, in terms of the music and sound rather than just trying to guess about the physicality.

I think you were almost certainly right -- provided we add to it this thing that Damon said. I don't think it would very likely be described as "forced" unless the rhythmic aspect was also there. If the rhythm is okay or at least inoffensive, a simpler term than "forced" would most likely be used.

Like "harsh." smile

Jolteon #1962365 09/22/12 01:18 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
To me it also means something like "unnatural", for example if you don't really "feel" the music and one can hear you are making an effort or that you are sort of uncomfortable with it.
(PS: This is an idea I have from a linguistic point of view and what they could have meant, I haven't listened to your recordings.)

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Damon #1962403 09/22/12 05:53 AM
Online Content

I also think that any tone a piano is capable of producing is fair game to use. Harsh is appropriate at times.
If the pianist was criticized for having a forced(as in harsh)tone, then the judges must have thought that the tone was not appropriate for the passage or piece involved. Whatever the meaning of forced tone, it was used as a criticism meaning it was inappropriate.

Jolteon #1962417 09/22/12 06:49 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I've noticed that a lot of posters have focussed on the term "forced tone", but the OP never actually said "tone". It was said to him that his playing sounded forced. I think that's a different thing to forced tone. To me, forced tone could really only mean playing more forcefully than desired for any given phrase/piece. But forced playing, I think, is when you play in a rushed or overly strident manner, rhythmically speaking. Perhaps too metronomically. I think "forced" is what happens when you lose the natural ritards at cadence points, or those subtle rubato effects - especially when tensions resolve to consonances. I think it means your playing doesn't flow in a easeful way - that is, there is the sensation of struggle (lack of ease). A lack of rise and fall, tension and resolution. This might be due to technical difficulties or lacking a proper musical understanding of the piece.

ando #1962418 09/22/12 06:51 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
I've noticed that a lot of posters have focussed on the term "forced tone", but the OP never actually said "tone".

It is not in his original post, but it is in the subject of this thread. smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission