2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 1200s, akse0435, 5 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2113533 07/06/13 02:22 AM
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I heard from someone that in Mozart's early years, he imitated Haydn. Around what K number would you say his own style became apparent? And when do you think his sonatas started becoming more musically mature?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I don't think Mozart ever imitated Haydn, despite his deep respect for the older composer. If anything, it was J.C.Bach he imitated - as he did in his earliest piano concertos.

I'd say his individuality came to the fore in K310 in A minor, where the notion of mere Sturm und Drang is totally transcended and subsumed into a unique Mozartian blend of uncompromising - yet ambiguous - tragedy, fury and pathos within a very classical style of piano writing. Haydn could never have written anything like this, nor Beethoven.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Absolutely true about K. 310 -- but I think (correction -- I know) grin that we can put it earlier than that. I don't think it would be possible to find any clear line, and so I wasn't going to try to find any 'starting point' since I don't think there is any. But you sort of eased the question by saying 310: I only need to see if I could say an earlier one. [Linked Image]

And I'll say K. 284. While there are moments that we might think 'could' be Haydn (which I think is true of almost any Mozart piece), I don't think there's a whole lot that could be, and I think absolutely nothing in the last movement could plausibly be anything but Mozart.

OK, now how about what's earlier than that.... ha

T
T
Originally Posted by bennevis
I don't think Mozart ever imitated Haydn, despite his deep respect for the older composer. If anything, it was J.C.Bach he imitated - as he did in his earliest piano concertos.

I'd say his individuality came to the fore in K310 in A minor, where the notion of mere Sturm und Drang is totally transcended and subsumed into a unique Mozartian blend of uncompromising - yet ambiguous - tragedy, fury and pathos within a very classical style of piano writing. Haydn could never have written anything like this, nor Beethoven.

I'm not sure that Mozart imitated Haydn either. The two composers have quite different styles in general (for the same time period).

It's also worth noting that K. 310 is unusual among Mozart's sonatas -- for one, the minor tonality is not typical. I love this sonata...I need to take it back out and rework it. It's been too long!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I don't think that even Mozart's first sonata sounds much like Haydn. It sounds like pure Mozart.

Of course, he knew Haydn and was influenced by him though. To see a specific example, compare the opening of Mozart's K.282 with the opening of Haydn's XVI:25. They're both in Eb, but the similarities don't end there....

-J

B
B
Mozart has a unique way of adding an accidental to a single note in an otherwise simple melody to bring a moment of uncertainty, or ambiguity, which is not to be found in Haydn or Beethoven.

For example, the melody in the famous slow movement of the Piano Concerto in C, K467 - no-one but Mozart could have written it. This sort of thing abounds also in his solo piano music. Not to mention his vocal music....

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member

For example, the melody in the famous slow movement of the Piano Concerto in C, K467 - no-one but Mozart could have written it. This sort of thing abounds also in his solo piano music. Not to mention his vocal music....

Please post a link.

B
B
Originally Posted by JoelW

Please post a link.

http://youtu.be/sHgFqHhE53g

Note the 'blues' notes, in both the 'questioning phrase' and the 'answering phrase'. Except that it doesn't sound anything like jazz....

The Romanza from K466: http://youtu.be/p_33zTtiWPA

Last edited by bennevis; 07/06/13 05:00 PM. Reason: link problem

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Oh I see. This is what I thought you were talking about. A lovely trick that I know Chopin picked up on, yet I can't recall any specific pieces at the moment.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I wonder if early Mozart showed more influence of his dad than of Haydn. smile

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission