2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 11 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I'm sorry guys, but I have to let this out... I feel almost like home here and it's one of the nicest Internet places, with people ready to offer some valid advice, etc...

So, In case you haven't heard it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24141246

A 34 year old musician was stabbed to death by neo-nazi 45 year old. Ok, this much is something that can happen elsewhere. Problem is that the neo-nazi political party has 10%, and is in the parliament. In addition to that the austerity measures have torn the country SO MUCH that right now I'm afraid of a civil war.

In all honesty if something like this happens, I'll take my kids, a copy of all EMF scores, plus a few hard drives, an flee the country... And I'm NOT kidding!

[/panic mode off]

I previewed my post (as I advise others to do so) and I can see that the above is very... panicky. But it remains a dangerous situation right now, exactly because Greece has no social network to speak off: We never were a society and right now this is more evident than ever! frown

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
That is so sad. R.I.P. Pavlos.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Nikolas, if you are really concerned then it might be best to get repositioned in another country starting immediately, probably through connections you can get some sort of artistic employment and/or an artist's permit for many places. Unless you have a very good idea of where you are going and why then it might be best to not choose a Euro country, Japan, the U.K. or the U.S.

If you delay then by the time you leave you might not be able to move any Euros to speak of out of the country as already is the situation in Cyprus.

And whether you stay or go, don't keep your money in Euros or any of the other paper currencies.

M.

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
That is so sad. R.I.P. Pavlos.
Shame to me for not mentioning this...

The information is a bit sketchy as of yet, but in any case a young man, a musician, my age is gone... by stabbing. And it's a real pity.

Rest in Peace Pavlos! smile And hope your family can hang in there...

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Nikolas,

I'm very sad for your country and this situation. It seems like civility and decorum have become passe. We don't hear much about Greece in the US, so it's your judgment that matters here. If you don't feel safe then perhaps it's time to leave. I sometimes feel the US has gone crazy but it seems much of that is just media hype. We have Neo-nazis in the US too, but I only hear about them when I get a communication from the Southern Poverty Law Center (a group devoted to exposing hate crimes and teaching tolerance). I know my support won't mean anything but you have it. I respect you, your music and your judgment.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Your panic is for good reason and I agree that it's time to start thinking of a plan incase things become too further out of hand. Keep us updated and stay safe.

Beethoven - Op.49 No.1 (sonata 19)
Czerny - Op.299 Nos. 5,7 (School of Velocity)
Liszt - S.172 No.2 (Consolation No.2)

Dream piece:
Rachmaninoff - Sonata 2, movement 2 in E minor
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I'm safe right now and both my kids are fast asleep in their room... So things are, right now, ok.

The right wing party (the neo nazi one) called Golden Dawn is getting ready to appear in the very place that Pavlos was killed.

The left wing party (around 20% in the recent elections) decided that the government is off the law (for whatever reasons of their own) and want to do some sort of a guerilla war inside Athens!

I don't know what on earth is happening right now... I'm keeping a very close eye on what's going on, and I hope that me and my kids will be safe. There's already more than 1 people to accommodate us abroad (including my wife in Azerbaijan) and there's bank accounts in England, where we lived for 4 years...

The one thing that needs to be done is to remain calm right now!...

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
My thoughts are with you, your family and your countrymen, Nikolas.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thank you Bruce. And thank you for your PM as well! smile

And thanks to everyone of course! smile

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Oh, Nikolas, that's very unnerving. I am reallly sorry to hear news like this and I can imagine all the concerns that are running through your head.

I can also imagine that it is more difficult with your wife being out of the country - no one at home to talk to about all this. Sure there's phone and skype, but it isn't the same.

I pray that this will all settle down very soon.
My thoughts are with you - stay safe!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

P
P
I think that if a large group of people figures out a way to put the situation in Greece on the world's public agenda Europe will start watching the situation more closely, something that can definitely prevent drastic events like a civil war.
I don't know how much you can actually do, but if there's any way to raise public awareness, it's worth trying.
(Of course, wait and see how the situation developes, maybe things will work themselves out over time, I sure hope they will.)

"If I decide to be an idiot, then I'll be an idiot on my own accord."
- Johann Sebastian Bach.
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I'm also hoping that sanity will prevail. It's just that all this pressure is changing people! And our lenders don't seem to care much about the wreckage of Greece in the end.

G
G
Get out of there NOW.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
You are right to be feeling worried. History is full of tragic examples where people waited until they were "sure" a civil war or other disaster was brewing, and then it was too late.

Adopt a rational economics perspective: Lay out all the costs/benefits of leaving now/later/not at all, with the situation in Greece either deteriorating/getting better. You should decide to leave if this kind of analysis leads you to conclude that the cost of inaction given a bad outcome FAR outweighs the cost of acting and it turning out to have been unnecessary.

I am so sorry for you and your fellow countrymen. frown

Last edited by Monica K.; 09/18/13 09:45 PM. Reason: I decided my initial phrasing was overly alarmist.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am so sorry for you, your family, and Greece as a whole, Nikolas. My thoughts are with you.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
i echo everyone else - such sad news.
neo-nazis for christ's sake, some people are so pathetic and medieval.

what with the whole syria and egypt thing (plus all the things you don't hear about) i sometimes wonder if people are inherently violent and just use any old excuse.

I sincerely hope you and everyone else in Greece remain safe.

All theory, dear friend, is grey, but the golden tree of life springs ever green.
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas, I am very concerned for you. Unfortunately, when economic conditions become stressful, history has show that the smaller minded people look for someone to blame, thus the hate crimes. In this day and age, sanity usually does pervail and I pray that it will. I can't offer any advice other than to remember that family always comes first.

Best regards,

Deborah
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I'm also hoping that sanity will prevail. It's just that all this pressure is changing people! And our lenders don't seem to care much about the wreckage of Greece in the end.

I have always watched the rise of the Golden Dawn with trepidation. It is unfortunate that in such stressful times, people will turn to whoever promises them the quickest, easiest way out, even if those promises come with a loaded weapon pointed at their heads. Violence is never the answer.

I have many Greek friends. Some are still there; some moved here a long time ago. All of them are worried, too.

Stay safe, keep your head down, and if you should need a couch overseas somewhere -- I have two. smile

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
My thoughts are with you Nikolas.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Nikolas,

This is worrisome for sure. What a shame, especially as Greece is the birthplace of democracy! It might be good to have your exit strategy all worked out and ready to use if needed. Take care, friend!

Sophia

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission