2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I'm curious to find out what goes through everyone's heads as you play a piece. I want to be clear though on something. There are two kinds of thoughts that go on simultaneously :

1)subconscious perceptive thoughts: these are the thoughts are are between memory and 2nd nature. Like the dynamics or the tone that you know you have to give, but don't really need to pay detailed attention to.

2)Conscious active thoughts: These are the things we say and hear in our heads. Like if you're playing something and you get a cramp and say to yourself "damn that hurts, gotta try and keep it together though...i wonder if anyone noticed?"

So I'm curious about the 2nd type of thoughts. The active ones. I'm sort of between just being blank to playing portions of the piece I'm playing, but in my head. Anyone else?

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
"Don't screw up! Don't screw up! Don't screw up! Don't screw up!" grin

Regards,

Polyphonist
If I'm in control of the technique, I'm awash with powerful emotions that threaten to overwhelm me and derail the technique. That's why to be really expressive the piece had better be totally locked in my hands for a performance. Of course, if I'm playing for enjoyment, I take as much time as I need to be as expressive as I wish.

Otherwise, I'm balancing consciously adding as much interest as I can while managing the difficult areas of the piece, leading to a somewhat unsatisfying performance.

Danzas Argentinas, Alberto Ginastera
Piano Sonata Hob. XVI: 34 in E Minor, Franz Joseph Haydn
Nocturne, Op. 15 No. 1 in F Major, Frédéric Chopin
Prelude, Op. 11 No. 4 in E Minor, Alexander Scriabin
Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Vol. 2, Johann Sebastian Bach
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist

So did you screw up?

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
P
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81

So did you screw up?

That information is restricted.

Regards,

Polyphonist
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Besides that laugh , once I've learned the notes, my thoughts are fully focused on what I am playing and what I am about to play in terms of emotions, phrasing, articulation, rubato and dynamics. I've got a "story" to tell and there is so much to focus on, I don't seem to have room in my head for random thoughts. I can focus like this for a long time provided I am alone and the house is quiet. On the rare occasions when I use a practice room, (summer piano camp), I can go like this for hours.

(Unfortunately, most of my practice time takes place right in the middle of my home with dogs barking, doorbells ringing, husbands needing attention, phones jingling, oven timers beeping, washing machines finishing their cycle, sons coming in the door, etc. Then I lose focus, throw up my hands in frustration and find something else to do for a while.)

Best regards,

Deborah
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There's not a lot of room in there. I hear mostly just the melody, maybe slightly ahead of time, and sense the tempo or rhythm..again as a staggered concept. Anything additional must be a mental cue, such as "don't forget to make this section sing/brood etc."

It's better to feel than to think, I think.

Last edited by Pathbreaker; 03/02/14 05:27 PM.
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

I would add to the end of this:

"#$(*%#&@()#$#*$#(*#$ ..... Don't screw up again! Don't screw up again! Don't..."

laugh

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It's different depending on whether I'm playing at home for myself, or whether I'm playing for an audience or making a recording.

If I'm 'performing' for myself, I'll experiment with all sorts of tone color and voicing, and even tempi and dynamic variations, to see what ideas I can come up with.

If I'm playing for an audience, the spontaneity (but not experimentation) is spiced with a dash of adrenaline: I go for maximum impact to give a real 'performance' that will (hopefully) draw the audience in. Therefore, I'll be thinking positive thoughts, like how lovely the melody and/or harmony is, or how interesting the figuration. Fast pieces or sections will likely be slightly faster and more 'dangerous'; slow pieces might be slower and more consciously expressive. Wrong notes have long ago stopped bothering me grin - and in any case, I don't play for critics or do any more exams - which helps my playing, as negative thoughts rarely enter my head. (I play for an audience only because I want to, and enjoy it - which also means that I only play what I want to play).

The worst thing that can happen when I'm performing is to bore the audience......

If music be the food of love, play on!
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A

laugh Mine's more like "wow that sounded bad, wow that sounded bad, wow that sounded bad"

"A good intention but fixed and resolute - bent on high and holy ends, we shall find means to them on every side and at every moment; and even obstacles and opposition will but make us 'like the fabled specter-ships,' which sail the fastest in the very teeth of the wind."
R. W. Emerson
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Am I the only one going "This is going GREAT! Take that previous performer/competitor/pianist".

Am I also insane like that? grin

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Am I the only one going "This is going GREAT! Take that previous performer/competitor/pianist".

Am I also insane like that? grin

If I am competing, I have a very strong/positive mindset. I've always believed that, if you're going to compete, you have to believe you can win. If you enter a competition you don't think you can win, you've wasted your time (and possibly your money).

I'm highly competitive by nature, but if I'm just playing in general, my mindset is very different.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I try to think of note values and chords.

[Linked Image]
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I'm feel I'm constantly fighting the adrenaline and the shaking of my hand. Otherwise I typical find my thoughts completely unmemorable with the exception of when I'm counting a passage. This Friday I had a very disconcerting moment where I looked up from the piano(something I almost never do) and I saw my teacher had just sort of appeared on that sided of the hall( I didn't hear him come in.). That surprise really threw my concentration. laugh

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MikeN
I'm feel I'm constantly fighting the adrenaline and the shaking of my hand. Otherwise I typical find my thoughts completely unmemorable with the exception of when I'm counting a passage. This Friday I had a very disconcerting moment where I looked up from the piano(something I almost never do) and I saw my teacher had just sort of appeared on that sided of the hall( I didn't hear him come in.). That surprise really threw my concentration. laugh

You know something, I get that too sometimes. I almost feel like it warrants a separate thread, but I sometimes get uncontrollable shaky hands too. The problem is that it's never consistent. Sometimes I play for a group of people or a friend of mind and i'm perfectly fine. Other times I'll play for another friend and my hands are ready to shake themselves loose from the wrists. I still can't pinpoint why it happens in some situations and not in others. Even in the most casual and laid back situations in my own home, it comes and goes...

Check my videos @:
M
M
I don't "think" as I play...I "feel" when I play. If I allow myself to disengage from "feeling" into active thought, my mind quickly starts with the dialogue "don't screw up, don't screw up...", as Polyphonist referred to (and cracked me up!) or "Oh no, where am I?" or in the case of playing for others, "What are they thinking?" All of which are simply noise and detract from my playing.

Like Deborah said, I, too, am able to completely immerse/submerge myself into my music as long as there aren't any distractions. Since I live with four animals, I may get distracted occasionally, but not very often. Without looking at a clock, I can easily play for hours without noticing the passage of time.

The worst for me, however, is if I host or play in a recital and there is talking among the attendees. I get angry and stop playing altogether. I've learned who to invite, so that hasn't happened in a long time.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
Originally Posted by MikeN

You know something, I get that too sometimes. I almost feel like it warrants a separate thread, but I sometimes get uncontrollable shaky hands too. The problem is that it's never consistent. Sometimes I play for a group of people or a friend of mind and i'm perfectly fine. Other times I'll play for another friend and my hands are ready to shake themselves loose from the wrists. I still can't pinpoint why it happens in some situations and not in others. Even in the most casual and laid back situations in my own home, it comes and goes...

Unfortunately, for me it's quite a regular occurrence. God forbid I'm playing light passage work at a speedy tempo.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
If I find there is some section where I'm having trouble paying attention to the music, I change the way I'm playing it so it's more interesting.

If I can't pay attention, being the one playing it, then how can the audience pay attention!

Poetry is rhythm
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Isn't it disturbing when you realize you haven't even been paying attention? Sometimes I realize I'm thinking about a shopping list or something that happened at work... help

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pathbreaker
Isn't it disturbing when you realize you haven't even been paying attention? Sometimes I realize I'm thinking about a shopping list or something that happened at work... help

5 pages into Chopin's 4th ballade..."damn I forgot to add a dozen eggs to the list, and my friend is already getting the ingredients for that cake we gotta make....oh well, at least this Bach fugue is sounding pretty goo....oooh damn..."

Check my videos @:
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission